Firefighters are reminding people to not leave their cooking unattended after a fire at a flat in Tooting.

Part of the Longley Road home on the ground floor was damaged by fire on May 22.

One man was treated for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.

The Brigade’s Fire Investigation Team believe the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Although a smoke detector was fitted in the flat and raised the alarm, we would like to remind the public to never leave cooking unattended – if you have to leave the room or the house, turn the heat off. “

The Brigade was called at 10.44pm and the fire was under control by 11.43pm.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Tooting, Wimbledon and Mitcham fire stations attended the scene.