A senior judge from Wimbledon has been cleared of twice flashing a train commuter.

District judge Timothy Workman and magistrates Carolyn Mishon and Dannie Jayes delivered their verdict on charges against Sir Stephen Richards today.

The Court of Appeal judge was accused of exposing himself on a train from Wimbledon to Waterloo on October 16 and 24.

Lord Justice Richards was charged after a young female commuter who was flashed followed him as he made his way from Waterloo station to the High Court and took pictures of him on her mobile phone.

The married father of three denied the charges.

District judge Timothy Workman said: "It is the defendant's case that he has been wrongly identified as the person who is said to have exposed himself to the complainant."

Judge Workman said the court was satisfied that the man the victim followed from Waterloo to the High Court on October 24 last year was Sir Stephen Richards.

"The issue is therefore whether the complainant's identification of the defendant on October 24 correctly identifies him as the perpetrator of the offences on the October 16 and 24," he said.

"We have no doubt the complainant is a sincere and truthful witness," he said but added the court had to apply "cautious examination of the identification evidence" as set out in High Court guidelines.

Judge Workman criticised the British Transport Police for failing to investigate the allegation or to investigate it thoroughly.

"Had they done so, they would have been able to obtain closed circuit television from the train on October 24 and probably on October 16," he said.

"That evidence may well have supported her identification and equally, may have exonerated Sir Stephen.

"There was no supporting evidence obtained during the investigation."

Judge Workman said the charges against Sir Stephen were dismissed "for this reason only" adding: "The evidence is insufficient to meet the high standard required on identification"

Sir Stephen left court with his wife Lucy, saying: "I have put my trust in the legal process and I am delighted that it has enabled me to clear my name.

"I want to thank my excellent legal team for all their hard work."

He thanked friends and family for their 'tremendous kindness and support over the last few months' and added: 'We now look forward to leading a normal life and in my case getting back to my full judicial duties'.