The daughter of a worker killed at a Thames Water plant in Walthamstow has criticised the length of time it has taken to get justice for her father.

The company was yesterday fined £300,000, with £61,000 costs, after pleading guilty to breaking health and safety laws over the death of Raymond Holmes, 60, at its Coppermill Lane plant in 2010.

A large vehicle reversed onto Mr Holmes in a confined space at the site.

Laura Wyer, his daughter, said: “When we heard the news that my father had been killed, it was not only completely devastating but also incomprehensible that he could have been killed at work.

“He worked there for over 30 years and in all that time my Mum never thought his job was dangerous in any way.

“This fatal incident at the Coppermill site in Walthamstow could have been easily prevented if Thames Water management had paid more attention to the dangerous practices going on at the site and stopped these immediately.

“Myself and my Mum are relieved that the case has concluded, but also extremely frustrated that the process has taken over four and a half years to reach this stage.

“We only hope my Dad’s case sends a strong message out to both the government and employers by highlighting the importance of health and safety in the workplace to avoid the deaths of innocent workers.”

Waltham Forest Trades Council claimed the Health and Safety Executive should have carried out checks on the site and blamed government cuts for the lack of inspections.

A spokesman said: "What is so sad about this case is that Raymond's death was easily predictable and preventable.

“Government continues to insist health and safety protections are a burden on business but, as this case illustrates, the awful burden is in reality borne by the deceased's family and friends."

Raymond was an employee of Thames Water at the time of the incident and a member of the GMB trade union.

Concluding the case, Judge Michael Gledhill QC said: “This was an accident waiting to happen.”