Cat in critical condition after being resuscitated by firefighters
11:12am Tuesday 31st July 2012 in Where I Live
A cat is in critical condition after he was resuscitated by firefighters who rescued him from a flat after a dehumidifier blew up.
West Norwood firefighters were called to Beechwoods Court at around 1.45pm on Sunday where they resuscitated and rescued a black cat called Monkey who was trapped inside the burning flat.
Two fire engines, a fire rescue unit and a fire investigation team were called to the scene by a neighbour who could see smoke coming from the apartment.
Within five minutes of their arrival, firefighters entered the apartment and returned with the 12-year-old.
Crew manager Chris Barton said: “We conducted a rescue and resuscitated a 12-year-old cat called Monkey.
“We noticed the cat was on the sofa so we whipped it out. It wasn’t looking good for the cat. We thought it was dead.”
Neighbour Alan Bird, called the fire brigade at around 1.45pm on Sunday afternoon.
He said: “The firemen had Monkey on the grass outside with a breathing apparatus attached, and they resuscitated him.”
RSPCA animal collection officer Mick Ballantyne was also called to the scene.
He said: “I just made sure that the cat was taken straight to the vet and that it was okay. The cat was very lucky to have been saved."
Today, the cat's owner, Mark Leftly who was out at the time of the fire said: “Monkey seems to be getting better, though he is breathing is still laboured and we're told that the next few days are crucial. He was purring when I visited him earlier.
"He's 12 years old and he's been with me since he was just shy of two. There were several firemen who looked after Monkey, giving him oxygen.
"It was so charred in our flat it was extraordinary that they found and rescued him - we couldn't believe he was still alive and we are so, so grateful to the fire service and the vets in Beckenham.
"Our little girl, Sophia. who is two, always says 'Monkey's amazing'. She's not wrong, he's defying the odds."
Monkey is currently being treated at Foxgrove veterinary centre and is said to be in a bad condition.
Mr Bird, who witnessed the incident, said: “It’s touch and go whether Monkey will pull through.”
But, he added: “The firemen were absolutely fantastic with the cat”.
Firefighters spent around half an hour clearing up the damage, which left a hole in the apartment floor.
A ground floor resident said: “It was the early afternoon and I was working when a distinctive smell like burning plastic started to spread.
“Then a woman knocked on my door telling me to get out the house because there is a fire.
Firefighter, Mr Barton said: “If they had a smoke alarm then the fire would have been picked up a lot faster.” The two tenants have since moved out due to extensive smoke damage.