Iron causes flat fire in Defence Close, Thamesmead
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a flat fire in Thamesmead early this morning (July 26) after residents left their iron on and went out.
It took place on the third floor of a block of flats in Defence Close, after the iron set light to some nearby clothing.
Residents returned to find a wall of smoke, and called the Fire Brigade. The communal building alarm sounded, allowing neighbours to escape, and the building’s automatic smoke ventilation system went into effect.
Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control swiftly, though the incident caused extensive smoke damage to the property. No one was injured.
Watch Manager Ian Murray said: "Leaving an electrical appliance on when you leave the house can be incredibly dangerous.
"Thankfully, no one was hurt in this instance, but it goes to show how quickly a fire could develop.
"You should always check you’ve switched off your appliances – particularly those that get hot – before you leave the house."
The Brigade was called at 12.41am and the fire was out by 1.20am.