Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
WALTHAMSTOW: Residents to march against waste plan
10:05am Friday 26th September 2008 in Where I Live
DEMONSTRATORS will march on the Town Hall to protest against proposals to build a multi-million pound waste processing plant where they live have.
Campaign group Residents Against Pollution (RAP) is angry that the Blackhorse Lane area of Walthamstow has been chosen as a possible site for a waste management facility, which includes an incinerator or hazardous waste-processing facility as part of the North London Waste Plan (NLWP).
RAP members, who will demonstrate on the steps of the Town Hall in Forest Road, Walthamstow, on Tuesday, claim that there are plans to expand the incinerator in Edmonton.
Paula Mitchell, a RAP member, said: “Blackhorse Lane is earmarked by the planners as an industrial area, but it is also a residential area, with a higher than average proportion of children and people with limiting long-term illness.
“Several new, large scale, high density housing projects are under development which will make the area considerably more populated.
“Instead of improving amenities to cater for the increased population there are plans to site a waste facility. Is this not at odds with the regeneration plans?”
The NLWP, which were drawn up by seven boroughs and announced in November last year, says six new processing plants are needed in north London and half of the proposed sites are in Waltham Forest.
The other sites are the Lea Bridge Gateway in Leyton and the Central Leaside Business area on the Chingford/Enfield border.
RAP is also concerned about an alleged lack of consultation about the NLWP proposals.
“There has been only one workshop in Waltham Forest with only 20 local people at it. The vast majority of residents know nothing about the plans,” Ms Mitchell said.
Archie Onslow, NLWP programme manager, said: “During the issues and options consultation on the NLWP earlier this year, the boroughs undertook a range of publicity including public adverts and letters to groups and individuals.
“All publicity included details of the workshops held in each borough and an offer that we would go and visit local groups. Regarding the Edmonton incinerator, there are no expansion plans and therefore there has been no consultation.”
Leader of the council Clyde Loakes, said: “The first issues and options report produced by the North London Boroughs outlined ways in which the seven could deal with their waste between now and 2020.
“No decision has yet been made about either the sites or the type of waste management facilities that will be housed on them and any suggestion that an incinerator has been earmarked for Waltham Forest is completely inaccurate.
“The next preferred options report is due to be produced by early 2009. Residents and the council will be given the opportunity to have their say on this report.”