This Is Local LondonTwo face first UK charges over FGM (From This Is Local London)

Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space

Two face first UK charges over FGM

This Is Local London: Alison Saunders, Director of Public Prosecutions, has announced the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation . Alison Saunders, Director of Public Prosecutions, has announced the first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation .

The first UK prosecution for female genital mutilation will be brought against a doctor and a second man, prosecutors have said.

Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena, 31, from the Whittington Hospital in London, and Hasan Mohamed, 40, who is not a medic, are to face the first charges brought under the Female Genital Mutilation Act, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.

It is alleged that the doctor carried out the procedure on a woman who had given birth in November 2012, and that Mohamed encouraged and helped him.

Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: "The CPS was asked to consider evidence in relation to this allegation of female genital mutilation (FGM) by the Metropolitan Police Service. It was alleged that following a patient giving birth in November 2012, a doctor at the Whittington Hospital, in London, repaired FGM that had previously been performed on the patient, allegedly carrying out FGM himself.

"Having carefully considered all the available evidence, I have determined there is sufficient evidence and it would be in the public interest to prosecute Dr Dhanoun Dharmasena for an offence contrary to S1 (1) of the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003).

"I have also determined that Hasan Mohamed should face one charge of intentionally encouraging an offence of FGM, contrary to section 44(1) of the Serious Crime Act (2007), and a second charge of aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring Dr Dharmasena to commit an offence contrary to S1 (1) of the Female Genital Mutilation Act (2003)."

The pair will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on April 15.

Prosecutors said they had also looked at four other cases - one of which was new and three that were reconsidered after decisions to take no further action - and found there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.

One of the old cases involved a man calling an FGM helpline, intended for victims, to ask for the procedure to be carried out on his two daughters. T he new case involved two parents accused of taking their daughter abroad to have FGM.

The CPS would not give details of the other two cases.

FGM has been a criminal offence since 1985, and in 2003 the maximum sentence was increased from five to 14 years in jail.

Prosecutors are considering another four cases of alleged FGM, and are in early discussions with police about another two.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree