Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Man questioned over M25 bomb alert
Police are continuing to question a man on suspicion of making a bomb hoax following claims which led to the Dartford Crossing being closed in both directions and severe delays on the M25.
Kent Police said the 27-year-old foreign national had made threats of a suspicious device on board the coach he had been travelling on before making further threats about an explosive device on another coach.
The incident led to motorists being caught in nine-mile long tailbacks after both the QE2 Bridge and Dartford Tunnels were closed for almost seven hours during rush-hour traffic on Friday night, while traffic was also stopped from using the A20 at Dover.
Releasing further information, police said they recovered a cylindrical device with wires inside a heavily sealed bag from the first coach.
It was found after the force was called at 4.03pm to a report of a male pedestrian behaving unusually. He had alighted from a coach which was Dover-bound and run to a rough area nearby, police said.
Security personnel at a nearby distribution depot detained the man and officers arrested him at 4.15pm before he was taken to a police station where he made threats as to a suspicious device on board the coach.
The vehicle, which had just gone through the toll booths, was evacuated along with the immediate surrounding area, which was extremely busy at the time.
Bomb disposal experts attended the scene and a robotic device was deployed to examine the device more closely.
Police said the detained man made further threats that there was an explosive device on another coach and officers then stopped a coach on the A20 at Dover at 6pm. It was evacuated and the road was closed. No threat was found and the A20 reopened around 10.45pm.
The Dartford Crossing was reopened at around 11.45pm, police said.