Say it quietly but Watford's play-off hopes are not over

This Is Local London: Daniel Pudil says the players are not talking about the prospect of reaching the play-offs. Picture: Action Images Daniel Pudil says the players are not talking about the prospect of reaching the play-offs. Picture: Action Images

The players are not talking about it. Beppe Sannino is not talking about it. But on current form, the Hornets are an outside bet for the play-offs.

Watford are unbeaten in five matches and have kept four clean sheets in those games – winning three. They may not be the Championship’s entertainers any more but they are effective.

Making up eight points and five positions on an in-form Reading in 15 games is a difficult ask. You could even say it is unlikely. But you can’t rule it out.

“If we can keep going like this then hopefully we can reach the play-offs,” Daniel Pudil acknowledged.

However, Pudil was keen to stress: “But I don’t think the players are talking about the play-offs because it was only a few weeks ago that we were in a bad position. We just have to be calm and take it game by game.

“We have taken ten points from our last four matches [now 11 from five] so I do not think it is time to think about the play-offs. We will take it game by game and see where we are.”

Watford striker Troy Deeney added: “I don’t think that [the play-offs] ever left our train of thought. Obviously results haven’t always been ideal but we have got 16 games left (now 15) and if we can win a large percentage then we will be in and around it.

“But you can’t think come May we will be there. We will see what we do on Tuesday [at Yeovil] and on Saturday.

“We will then have a few days off to recover because it’s been a busy period. So we want six points in the next six days.”

Watford’s improvement has been built on their new-found defensive organisation and resilience.

Pudil believes it is clear to see that an Italian is in charge.

He said: “We are doing very well in this moment. Since the new manager came in we have looked much better at the back.

“That is good for the whole team and hopefully we are going to keep clean sheets often.

“I think [the improvement is because] we cover each other. When the ball is on the right side we shuffle over and are close to each other. I think that is the big difference. We are really compact and close to each other and that is why we are not conceding goals.”

“We are working a little bit more on the shape,” he added. “I think people from Italy like to work on things like this.

“They don’t like to concede goals and clean sheets are very important for them. So everyone can see we are good at the back and we are not struggling to score the goals.”

Pudil continued: “I like the job he [Sannino] has done since he came to the club. He likes to help the players and the team. Everything is going well right now and we are happy.”

On the language barrier, Pudil said: “It is difficult for him because he can’t speak English so someone has to be next to him to translate. I think he is doing a great job because he can speak a little bit of English now and he knows a few words.

“So he is doing a good job and most of us can speak Italian or understand so it has been easy to understand his message.”

Pudil has played his part in improving Watford defensively, not only on the pitch but also off it.

Daniel Tozser’s introduction in the problem position of holding midfield has been a huge success and Pudil was instrumental in helping him settle in the area.

Tozser’s family stayed with Pudil’s initially and it was the Czech international who helped his former Genk team-mate find the apartment he moved into a week after his arrival.

Pudil has introduced his good friend to Zincos in Watford town centre and his other favourite restaurants and on Saturday joked: “Now I have to show him Top Golf as well.”

“I like how he reacts to situations and we have fun together. After training our families are always together at my house or his house.”

On Tozser’s performances on the pitch, Pudil added: “He is a good player so he didn’t need many days to adapt. He came and played well straight away and has been important for us.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:41am Fri 21 Feb 14

Boosey says...

Troy, I think you will get a 0-0 draw at Yeovil!
Troy, I think you will get a 0-0 draw at Yeovil! Boosey
  • Score: 0

11:43am Fri 21 Feb 14

Boosey says...

Watford Observer, this is not very professional, it's old news.
Watford Observer, this is not very professional, it's old news. Boosey
  • Score: -1

11:51am Fri 21 Feb 14

Harry's Bar says...

Boosey wrote:
Watford Observer, this is not very professional, it's old news.
Best to publish interviews without a game having been played in the interim. Presumably they've been lifted from elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]Boosey[/bold] wrote: Watford Observer, this is not very professional, it's old news.[/p][/quote]Best to publish interviews without a game having been played in the interim. Presumably they've been lifted from elsewhere. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 8

12:56pm Fri 21 Feb 14

neilhorn says...

We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion
We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion neilhorn
  • Score: 14

1:17pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Sealegs says...

A bit of a non-event, this article. We can all do the maths. We all know there's still a chance.
A bit of a non-event, this article. We can all do the maths. We all know there's still a chance. Sealegs
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Fri 21 Feb 14

HornetJJ says...

It is certainly doable. I'd take a point tomorrow but then we need to win our next 4 (Home to Blackpool, away to Charlton and Doncaster then home to Barnsley) before what could be a very important game against Wigan. The next 6 games will decide if it is possible or not.
It is certainly doable. I'd take a point tomorrow but then we need to win our next 4 (Home to Blackpool, away to Charlton and Doncaster then home to Barnsley) before what could be a very important game against Wigan. The next 6 games will decide if it is possible or not. HornetJJ
  • Score: 16

1:32pm Fri 21 Feb 14

1234566789 says...

neilhorn wrote:
We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion
"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.
[quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion[/p][/quote]"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches. 1234566789
  • Score: 15

1:51pm Fri 21 Feb 14

neilhorn says...

1234566789 wrote:
neilhorn wrote:
We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion
"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.
if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place.

Every chance?
[quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion[/p][/quote]"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.[/p][/quote]if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place. Every chance? neilhorn
  • Score: -1

3:22pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Harry's Bar says...

HornetJJ wrote:
It is certainly doable. I'd take a point tomorrow but then we need to win our next 4 (Home to Blackpool, away to Charlton and Doncaster then home to Barnsley) before what could be a very important game against Wigan. The next 6 games will decide if it is possible or not.
We have to win tomorrow, maybe not mathematically, but it just feels like a game we need to win after Tuesday's game. I think most people sense it, including the players.
[quote][p][bold]HornetJJ[/bold] wrote: It is certainly doable. I'd take a point tomorrow but then we need to win our next 4 (Home to Blackpool, away to Charlton and Doncaster then home to Barnsley) before what could be a very important game against Wigan. The next 6 games will decide if it is possible or not.[/p][/quote]We have to win tomorrow, maybe not mathematically, but it just feels like a game we need to win after Tuesday's game. I think most people sense it, including the players. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 7

5:14pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Wimbledonhorn says...

We win tomorrow and Reading lose we are 5 points from the play offs. Every chance with 14 games left..
We win tomorrow and Reading lose we are 5 points from the play offs. Every chance with 14 games left.. Wimbledonhorn
  • Score: 7

5:40pm Fri 21 Feb 14

Hornankey says...

Our expectations this season were not soundly based and we were found out after a good start. The Club's leadership has got to get real,by recruiting and nurturing players and, yes, even spend in the transfer market. Our revolving door player policy and strange loan signings has left a lifetime fan (me!) absolutely baffled.
Our expectations this season were not soundly based and we were found out after a good start. The Club's leadership has got to get real,by recruiting and nurturing players and, yes, even spend in the transfer market. Our revolving door player policy and strange loan signings has left a lifetime fan (me!) absolutely baffled. Hornankey
  • Score: 5

5:58pm Fri 21 Feb 14

1234566789 says...

neilhorn wrote:
1234566789 wrote:
neilhorn wrote:
We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion
"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.
if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place.

Every chance?
Yes, every chance. Bolton, Blackpool, Donny and Barnsley are all 'winnable'. That would then require 20 points from 11 matches to reach your 74 points which looks more than achievable.

As I said, I don't think it will happen but there is every chance. Yes, we will need some luck.

But also, if 74 is the average, that means there must be seasons where less points gets you there - Leicester finished on 68 last season! So, again, if we win the next 4, that's 14 points from the final 11 matches!
[quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion[/p][/quote]"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.[/p][/quote]if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place. Every chance?[/p][/quote]Yes, every chance. Bolton, Blackpool, Donny and Barnsley are all 'winnable'. That would then require 20 points from 11 matches to reach your 74 points which looks more than achievable. As I said, I don't think it will happen but there is every chance. Yes, we will need some luck. But also, if 74 is the average, that means there must be seasons where less points gets you there - Leicester finished on 68 last season! So, again, if we win the next 4, that's 14 points from the final 11 matches! 1234566789
  • Score: 5

9:02pm Fri 21 Feb 14

SAHornet says...

I think that after Tues night, more than 50% of previously hopeful fans got a reality check on the true quality of this team and gave up on this season, mostly with a heavy heart at the passing of our formerly fluid way of playing this game. Sannino has bolstered the defence, that's for sure, but I reckon that if he can't start scoring goals again, his time with us might only take him up to the natural end of his short contract.
I think that after Tues night, more than 50% of previously hopeful fans got a reality check on the true quality of this team and gave up on this season, mostly with a heavy heart at the passing of our formerly fluid way of playing this game. Sannino has bolstered the defence, that's for sure, but I reckon that if he can't start scoring goals again, his time with us might only take him up to the natural end of his short contract. SAHornet
  • Score: 2

7:48am Sat 22 Feb 14

northofwatfordpete says...

All a bit negative on here after the Yeovil result - I still expect us to pushing for a play-off place come May - I think we will improve and from what I have read so do the players.
All a bit negative on here after the Yeovil result - I still expect us to pushing for a play-off place come May - I think we will improve and from what I have read so do the players. northofwatfordpete
  • Score: 2

3:50pm Sat 22 Feb 14

neilhorn says...

1234566789 wrote:
neilhorn wrote:
1234566789 wrote:
neilhorn wrote:
We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion
"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.
if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place.

Every chance?
Yes, every chance. Bolton, Blackpool, Donny and Barnsley are all 'winnable'. That would then require 20 points from 11 matches to reach your 74 points which looks more than achievable.

As I said, I don't think it will happen but there is every chance. Yes, we will need some luck.

But also, if 74 is the average, that means there must be seasons where less points gets you there - Leicester finished on 68 last season! So, again, if we win the next 4, that's 14 points from the final 11 matches!
every chance still. Just need those 14 straight wins..............
[quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]neilhorn[/bold] wrote: We are the definition of mid -table this year, no chance of going up or down. I think Sannino has done ok, he inherited a massively under-achieving team, stopped the rot and brought some professionalism to what was becoming a shambles. Whether we can contend again next season I don't know, but I think he has earned himself a crack at it, I like his passion[/p][/quote]"No chance" is ridiculous. We have every chance of making the play-offs. I don't personally think we will but there really is every chance. In '98 we picked up 22 points from the final 8 matches.[/p][/quote]if 'no chance' is classed as ridiculous, I don't know what 'every chance' can be classed as really mate. you need 74 points on average to make the play-offs. That's 33 points from 15 matches. So far we've got 42 points from 31 matches. Just to make it clear, we need form from now till the end of the season that has never been managed by any ream except Reading 9 years ago. We'd need form like ; played 15, won 10, drawn 3 lost 2, just to scrape into 6th place. Every chance?[/p][/quote]Yes, every chance. Bolton, Blackpool, Donny and Barnsley are all 'winnable'. That would then require 20 points from 11 matches to reach your 74 points which looks more than achievable. As I said, I don't think it will happen but there is every chance. Yes, we will need some luck. But also, if 74 is the average, that means there must be seasons where less points gets you there - Leicester finished on 68 last season! So, again, if we win the next 4, that's 14 points from the final 11 matches![/p][/quote]every chance still. Just need those 14 straight wins.............. neilhorn
  • Score: -1

5:19pm Sat 22 Feb 14

Scothorn says...

No chance now - can't see how anyone can think otherwise
No chance now - can't see how anyone can think otherwise Scothorn
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree