Gianfranco Zola says his achievements shouldn't be compared to the job his Watford predecessor Sean Dyche is doing at Burnley

This Is Local London: Picture: Action Images Picture: Action Images

Watford’s head coach has said the job he is doing at Vicarage Road should not be compared to that of the man he replaced – Sean Dyche – ahead of their visit to Burnley this evening.

Dyche spent one season in charge of the Hornets and led the team to an 11th-place finish despite several off-the-field problems.

He was replaced by Zola following the Pozzo’s takeover and was subsequently appointed Burnley manager in October 2012.

The Clarets are currently second in the Championship despite their small budget and, with Watford tenth, Zola was asked whether he will be under extra pressure when the Hornets visit Turf Moor.

“No, I don’t feel the pressure,” Zola said prior to Saturday's defeat to Yeovil Town.

“I am very pleased for Sean because he is doing a good job but I don’t compare myself to him. I try to do a job for the club and do as best I can, I am not looking at what Sean is doing.”

He added: “I do not look for the comparison, it doesn’t interest me.

“I want to be judged on the job I do at this club and not to be compared to someone who is doing a job somewhere else.

“I didn’t want this comparison last year when things were going well for us and for me.”

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:09am Tue 3 Dec 13

@julesmckenzie says...

You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams).

That he has done with aplomb.

The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in.

That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform.

Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn.
You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams). That he has done with aplomb. The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in. That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform. Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn. @julesmckenzie

7:53am Tue 3 Dec 13

akureyri says...

"...despite several off-the-field problems."

Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.
"...despite several off-the-field problems." Only one problem, and the actions of that problem. akureyri

8:19am Tue 3 Dec 13

SAHornet says...

I still think GZ is the right man for this job but I'm getting the feeling that maybe his second in command is not and also that maybe Nani is not. I think that many of the players are of a lesser caliber than we all think they are and maybe not tough and robust enough. That goes to Nani who I understand chooses the players that come here and GZ is told to mould them which is often easier said than done. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Looking forward to tonight's game but with a little trepidation, I must admit. COYH's
I still think GZ is the right man for this job but I'm getting the feeling that maybe his second in command is not and also that maybe Nani is not. I think that many of the players are of a lesser caliber than we all think they are and maybe not tough and robust enough. That goes to Nani who I understand chooses the players that come here and GZ is told to mould them which is often easier said than done. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Looking forward to tonight's game but with a little trepidation, I must admit. COYH's SAHornet

8:20am Tue 3 Dec 13

longcliffe says...

Why don't the WO check the Championship table? They will find that Leicester City are in fact top.
Why don't the WO check the Championship table? They will find that Leicester City are in fact top. longcliffe

8:57am Tue 3 Dec 13

@julesmckenzie says...

akureyri wrote:
"...despite several off-the-field problems."

Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.
What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support?

All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we?

If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo).

The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team.

Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward.

Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws!

COYH.
[quote][p][bold]akureyri[/bold] wrote: "...despite several off-the-field problems." Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.[/p][/quote]What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support? All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we? If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo). The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team. Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward. Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws! COYH. @julesmckenzie

9:14am Tue 3 Dec 13

Goldenboy1960 says...

@julesmckenzie wrote:
You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams).

That he has done with aplomb.

The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in.

That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform.

Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn.
Consistency doesnt come without confidence. They aboslutely come together.
[quote][p][bold]@julesmckenzie[/bold] wrote: You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams). That he has done with aplomb. The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in. That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform. Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn.[/p][/quote]Consistency doesnt come without confidence. They aboslutely come together. Goldenboy1960

9:17am Tue 3 Dec 13

SAHornet says...

@julesmckenzie wrote:
akureyri wrote:
"...despite several off-the-field problems."

Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.
What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support?

All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we?

If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo).

The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team.

Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward.

Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws!

COYH.
jules, I like both of your posts above. Very pozzotive. Keep it up
[quote][p][bold]@julesmckenzie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]akureyri[/bold] wrote: "...despite several off-the-field problems." Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.[/p][/quote]What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support? All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we? If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo). The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team. Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward. Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws! COYH.[/p][/quote]jules, I like both of your posts above. Very pozzotive. Keep it up SAHornet

9:17am Tue 3 Dec 13

@julesmckenzie says...

Goldenboy1960 wrote:
@julesmckenzie wrote:
You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams).

That he has done with aplomb.

The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in.

That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform.

Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn.
Consistency doesnt come without confidence. They aboslutely come together.
I would suggest that confidence is a result of consistency...
[quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]@julesmckenzie[/bold] wrote: You have to agree. Its a totally different job with a totally different remit. Zola was instated to create a shop window for higher end passing players (designed to fit in to the bigger teams style of play) and as a figure head to attract decent loan players (from those same teams). That he has done with aplomb. The back room is also structured in a more business like and ultimately sustainable manner. It must be difficult to fit your job around a set of characteristics that arent necessarily in tune with the style of the league you are in. That said there does need to be a balance. There does need to be soul and a passion from the players not just to play and look good, but to win football matches. The whole squad need to realise that Milan or Manchester aint gonna knock on their doors if they wear a snood and dont perform. Its all well and good talking about confidence but consistency is far more of an issue. Even when the chips are down a team will carry each other and this they all need to learn.[/p][/quote]Consistency doesnt come without confidence. They aboslutely come together.[/p][/quote]I would suggest that confidence is a result of consistency... @julesmckenzie

9:24am Tue 3 Dec 13

MIBSWE says...

I'm really pleased for Dyche. He lost his job due to the takeover after overachieving that season. He comes across as a decent bloke and is doing an amazing job at Burnley, depsite Selling their top striker.

The media and some fans will do the comparisons, especially now that Watford are going through a bad patch. All I care about is winning that game.
I'm really pleased for Dyche. He lost his job due to the takeover after overachieving that season. He comes across as a decent bloke and is doing an amazing job at Burnley, depsite Selling their top striker. The media and some fans will do the comparisons, especially now that Watford are going through a bad patch. All I care about is winning that game. MIBSWE

9:53am Tue 3 Dec 13

Hornet Cornet says...

The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong.

We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'.

Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple.

As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too.

HC
The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC Hornet Cornet

9:57am Tue 3 Dec 13

petsoundsnick says...

Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again.... petsoundsnick

10:10am Tue 3 Dec 13

mellow yellow says...

petsoundsnick wrote:
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.
[quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....[/p][/quote]Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year. mellow yellow

10:14am Tue 3 Dec 13

chrisptrifle says...

@julesmckenzie wrote:
akureyri wrote:
"...despite several off-the-field problems."

Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.
What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support?

All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we?

If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo).

The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team.

Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward.

Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws!

COYH.
I think he's referring to Baz.
[quote][p][bold]@julesmckenzie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]akureyri[/bold] wrote: "...despite several off-the-field problems." Only one problem, and the actions of that problem.[/p][/quote]What is that single problem? Is it Zola not being able to manage? Deeney being too Alpha? Nani getting the wrong players? The continentals being to precious for banter? The fans being too fickle to support? All of us have a part to play in our "Family Club". We need to start acting like loyal supporters, players and staff instead of each pointing the finger of blame to cover themselves. Be honest, we as fans are hardly helping the situation at the moment are we? If the players want to be seen as professional footballers then they should be professional when they play football. Instead it seems they act like spoilt little children who only get into the team because daddy owns it (no disrespect Mr Pozzo). The backroom staff need to take back control of the club and in particular the dressing room. If change is needed, maybe it is at coaching/support level. Mr Zola needs to be more assertive in his actions and requirements for the team. Team effort Watford, lets crack on now and move forward. Big game tonight and at the weekend. I'd take two 0-0 draws! COYH.[/p][/quote]I think he's referring to Baz. chrisptrifle

10:18am Tue 3 Dec 13

bigdave8 says...

Can't make tonight but got my Leeds tickets . We haven't had much luck lately . But hey we win the next two games things will turn full circle . Time for us all to stop moaning that we aren't top and get behind the boys I know they haven't given us much to shout about over the last couple of weeks but we need to all come through this period together and we will come out stronger the other side . Would love a sneaky one nil win tonight!!!!! Goal from deeneys left butt cheek
Can't make tonight but got my Leeds tickets . We haven't had much luck lately . But hey we win the next two games things will turn full circle . Time for us all to stop moaning that we aren't top and get behind the boys I know they haven't given us much to shout about over the last couple of weeks but we need to all come through this period together and we will come out stronger the other side . Would love a sneaky one nil win tonight!!!!! Goal from deeneys left butt cheek bigdave8

10:26am Tue 3 Dec 13

Harry's Bar says...

Hornet Cornet wrote:
The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong.

We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'.

Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple.

As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too.

HC
I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.
[quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC[/p][/quote]I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola. Harry's Bar

10:40am Tue 3 Dec 13

wivvers says...

i know things aren't going well at the moment, that's obvious. i have been watching watford for 45 years now and GZ has bought such a refreshing, exciting style of play to the team that i have no complaints at all. i would never want to go back to all the route 1 that we used to see, lumping the ball up to henderson and king. we are going through a bad patch, but i for one am behind GZ all the way.
i know things aren't going well at the moment, that's obvious. i have been watching watford for 45 years now and GZ has bought such a refreshing, exciting style of play to the team that i have no complaints at all. i would never want to go back to all the route 1 that we used to see, lumping the ball up to henderson and king. we are going through a bad patch, but i for one am behind GZ all the way. wivvers

10:46am Tue 3 Dec 13

Stoney77 says...

mellow yellow wrote:
petsoundsnick wrote:
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.
Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle.
And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH
[quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....[/p][/quote]Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle. And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH Stoney77

10:48am Tue 3 Dec 13

chitster says...

With Vydra and Challobah keeping the subs bench warm so far this season maybe they would come back in January , if so and with a fit again Abdi we would almost certainly go on an amzing winning run and just maybe looking at automatic.
PS and bring back last seasons coaching staff
With Vydra and Challobah keeping the subs bench warm so far this season maybe they would come back in January , if so and with a fit again Abdi we would almost certainly go on an amzing winning run and just maybe looking at automatic. PS and bring back last seasons coaching staff chitster

11:05am Tue 3 Dec 13

mellow yellow says...

chitster wrote:
With Vydra and Challobah keeping the subs bench warm so far this season maybe they would come back in January , if so and with a fit again Abdi we would almost certainly go on an amzing winning run and just maybe looking at automatic.
PS and bring back last seasons coaching staff
The PS may well be the most salient part of that post. But it won't happen. Neither will the NC bit. Nor the MV bit. And my fears extend to the loss of Abdi permanently too, due to the nature of his injury. And Lordy, we miss him.
[quote][p][bold]chitster[/bold] wrote: With Vydra and Challobah keeping the subs bench warm so far this season maybe they would come back in January , if so and with a fit again Abdi we would almost certainly go on an amzing winning run and just maybe looking at automatic. PS and bring back last seasons coaching staff[/p][/quote]The PS may well be the most salient part of that post. But it won't happen. Neither will the NC bit. Nor the MV bit. And my fears extend to the loss of Abdi permanently too, due to the nature of his injury. And Lordy, we miss him. mellow yellow

11:10am Tue 3 Dec 13

lockerbiehornet says...

longcliffe wrote:
Why don't the WO check the Championship table? They will find that Leicester City are in fact top.
No, I don’t feel the pressure,” Zola said prior to Saturday's defeat to Yeovil Town.

I think this may answer your question Cliffe
[quote][p][bold]longcliffe[/bold] wrote: Why don't the WO check the Championship table? They will find that Leicester City are in fact top.[/p][/quote]No, I don’t feel the pressure,” Zola said prior to Saturday's defeat to Yeovil Town. I think this may answer your question Cliffe lockerbiehornet

11:19am Tue 3 Dec 13

@julesmckenzie says...

Stoney77 wrote:
mellow yellow wrote:
petsoundsnick wrote:
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.
Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle.
And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH
Thats because we are now on par with the Manchesters... (we wish) =)

I think we all had our little rant, and we all need to let off steam every now and again don't we?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion or we wouldn't have this or any other forums available to do so. Thats our right as fans/humans/tax payers/season ticket holders/wobby purchasers etc.

Any reasonable response is also meritable even if it is not yours or what you believe in.

Pig headed, stubborn or irrational people are also those that don't entertain different opinions. Be that in the dressing room, board room or Watford Observer forum I think we are all due a little humility and understanding.

It is possible to disagree and still remain objective.

COYH
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....[/p][/quote]Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle. And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH[/p][/quote]Thats because we are now on par with the Manchesters... (we wish) =) I think we all had our little rant, and we all need to let off steam every now and again don't we? Everybody is entitled to an opinion or we wouldn't have this or any other forums available to do so. Thats our right as fans/humans/tax payers/season ticket holders/wobby purchasers etc. Any reasonable response is also meritable even if it is not yours or what you believe in. Pig headed, stubborn or irrational people are also those that don't entertain different opinions. Be that in the dressing room, board room or Watford Observer forum I think we are all due a little humility and understanding. It is possible to disagree and still remain objective. COYH @julesmckenzie

11:34am Tue 3 Dec 13

Hornet Cornet says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC
I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.
Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC[/p][/quote]I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.[/p][/quote]Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight? Hornet Cornet

1:05pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Harry's Bar says...

Hornet Cornet wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC
I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.
Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?
Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters.
[quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC[/p][/quote]I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.[/p][/quote]Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?[/p][/quote]Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters. Harry's Bar

1:33pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Hornet Cornet says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC
I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.
Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?
Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters.
I was hoping for an Almunia header in the last second of injury time...

HC
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC[/p][/quote]I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.[/p][/quote]Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?[/p][/quote]Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters.[/p][/quote]I was hoping for an Almunia header in the last second of injury time... HC Hornet Cornet

1:44pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Goldentrue1 says...

This may or may not be of interest, but I have just looked back at past 10 years after 17 games (exc year in Premiership) and our position at the time:

2013 10th 23 Points (Zola)
2012 11th 26 Points (Zola)
2011 18th 19 Points (Dyche)
2010 13th 22 Points (Mackay)
2009 8th 27 Points (Mackay?)
2008 22nd 15 Points (Boothroyd)
2007 1st 36 Points (Boothroyd)
2006 Premiership
2005 3rd 29 Points (Boothroyd)
2004 17th 19 Points (Lewington)

We need a bit of context really. We cannot hide from the fact we are going through a bad run, but calling for Zola to be sacked, madness! Last season we saw probably our best football in those 10 years and our club is much more stable. It is easy and natural to get emotional after recent games and performances, but a lot of what I have read has been irrational!
This may or may not be of interest, but I have just looked back at past 10 years after 17 games (exc year in Premiership) and our position at the time: 2013 10th 23 Points (Zola) 2012 11th 26 Points (Zola) 2011 18th 19 Points (Dyche) 2010 13th 22 Points (Mackay) 2009 8th 27 Points (Mackay?) 2008 22nd 15 Points (Boothroyd) 2007 1st 36 Points (Boothroyd) 2006 Premiership 2005 3rd 29 Points (Boothroyd) 2004 17th 19 Points (Lewington) We need a bit of context really. We cannot hide from the fact we are going through a bad run, but calling for Zola to be sacked, madness! Last season we saw probably our best football in those 10 years and our club is much more stable. It is easy and natural to get emotional after recent games and performances, but a lot of what I have read has been irrational! Goldentrue1

6:16pm Tue 3 Dec 13

endean2 says...

Stoney77 wrote:
mellow yellow wrote:
petsoundsnick wrote:
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.
Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle.
And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH
my heavens you have become a smug and sanctimionus person,
or possibly you have always been that way
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....[/p][/quote]Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle. And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH[/p][/quote]my heavens you have become a smug and sanctimionus person, or possibly you have always been that way endean2

10:22pm Tue 3 Dec 13

rogeruk says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
Hornet Cornet wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC
I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.
Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?
Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters.
Utter Tosh!

Watford is a massive team compared to Torquay Utd , Oxford Utd and Accrington Stanley!

Watford is a small team to compared to Barcelona or Man Utd ( but then who isn't)?

Watford's problem is to have small minded supporters like you with no ambition and content with their station in life, Go and support Luton or Wycombe where you will find your level!

Watford have spent all but two of the last forty years in the English first tier (I think eight or nine times with the rest of the time in the second tier only twice in all that time in the lower leagues.

Watford finished runners up to Liverpool, something many teams in the premier and championship have never achieved - West ham for instance!

Have you got nothing better to do than write such dribble?
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: The question I have is that, whenever a small team or manager like Watford / Dyche / GZ do well, they overachieve? Achievement is based on hard work, influencing and getting results. This overachievement statement is a get-out phrase to cover when things go wrong. We need to start realising that achievement is precisely that, 'achievement'. Dyche has proved himself at both Watford and is doing so at Burnley. This is not overachievement, it is the ability to work hard and get results. Simple. As for GZ, no-one wants to compare him to anyone. What we want is for him to turn performances and results around. Nothing more than that... and possibly being a bit more savvy with the media too. HC[/p][/quote]I agree with the last sentiment, but also remember that only yesterday you were comparing Dyche and Zola.[/p][/quote]Can't argue with that really - any prediction on tonight?[/p][/quote]Fabbrini to come on and score an injury time winner followed by a prolonged celebration in front of delirious visiting supporters.[/p][/quote]Utter Tosh! Watford is a massive team compared to Torquay Utd , Oxford Utd and Accrington Stanley! Watford is a small team to compared to Barcelona or Man Utd ( but then who isn't)? Watford's problem is to have small minded supporters like you with no ambition and content with their station in life, Go and support Luton or Wycombe where you will find your level! Watford have spent all but two of the last forty years in the English first tier (I think eight or nine times with the rest of the time in the second tier only twice in all that time in the lower leagues. Watford finished runners up to Liverpool, something many teams in the premier and championship have never achieved - West ham for instance! Have you got nothing better to do than write such dribble? rogeruk

10:48pm Tue 3 Dec 13

Stoney77 says...

endean2 wrote:
Stoney77 wrote:
mellow yellow wrote:
petsoundsnick wrote:
Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012:

“Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.”

“We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.”


I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since.

What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous.

Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....
Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.
Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle.
And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH
my heavens you have become a smug and sanctimionus person,
or possibly you have always been that way
Ahhh, thanks buddy, I appreciate the compliments :o)
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petsoundsnick[/bold] wrote: Some quotes from Gino Pozzo when he bought Watford in 2012: “Watford fans need to relax and can enjoy this process. There is no cosmic mix to enable us to win. But we understand what works and what we have to do and if we are not performing at the top level it’s because we need more time and there's more work to do.” “We want to be there one day but I’m not going to say ‘we have to be in the Premier League otherwise’. Otherwise nothing. We will just do the best we can do to get there as quickly as possible but without forgetting where we have come from.” I think that tells you more about the philosophy of the owners than the general knee-jerk reaction you see in English football. A couple of months ago, Zola was the absolute nuts. Linked with Sunderland and everything. Then Abdi gets injured and the team has struggled since. What is the answer to this? Well according to most of the stuff I read on here its either sack the manager because Zola is clearly now useless or get new players in. The answer to everything in England is get new players in! Don't you see the vicous circle you find yourself in? In 3 months time when these new players have failed to win each game by at least 4 goals then the circle will start again...."bring more players in! bring more players in! Absolutely ridiculous. Whats going to happen? Zola will stay. We will start to win again. Abdi will get back in the team. A new striker will join in January. And then by Feb Zola will be the nuts and linked with Sunderland again....[/p][/quote]Or those things won't happen... but the groundhog day world of most football fans persists, and I think that was a great post. We have been told several times throughout our own Watford journeys - in my case going back to the early 80s - to not only Enjoy the Game, but to also enjoy the ride. Maybe some people have forgotten about that. Struggle to find enjoyment in the current situation. Whatever. But I feel sorry for them, because they will be saying the same thing year after year after year.[/p][/quote]Exactly. Whilst I have no evidence, I am fairly sure that many of those, if not all, who now demand change and that Zola must go are the very same people who were demanding Dyche be sacked when he had his bad patch. Look what he did (and is doing now). He is no mug, yet people wrote him off at the first signs of struggle. And if Zola gets the boot and a new manager comes in these same people will say the same thing when we have another bad patch. As you say, this is the mindset of some people and its difficult to change that as they tend to be pig headed, stubborn and irrational. Me, well I prefer to see the bigger picture. Enjoy the ride. COYH[/p][/quote]my heavens you have become a smug and sanctimionus person, or possibly you have always been that way[/p][/quote]Ahhh, thanks buddy, I appreciate the compliments :o) Stoney77

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree