Late goals from Gary Sawyer and Kevin Lisbie fire Leyton Orient to MK Dons win

First published in Latest Football News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by

Leyton Orient stunned MK Dons after two late goals fired them to a 2-0 home win in League One this afternoon.

The home side made a decent start to the match but were unable to make their early pressure count.

MK Dons twice put the ball in the net but they were caught out late on when Gary Sawyer picked his spot and found the bottom corner of the net. 

The victory was sealed in the final minute after Dean Cox and Kevin Lisbie combined superbly for the former Charlton striker to find the net.

The O's made one change from the side beaten at Colchester United last weekend. Sawyer returned to the side with Lloyd James dropping down to the bench.

Orient started brightly and came close to an opener when Moses Odubajo's low strike was blocked by the feet of goalkeeper Ian McLoughlin. 

The hosts continued to look dangerous in the opening stages and came close when Cox's cross was headed towards goal by Jimmy Smith but the deflected effort was saved by McLoughlin.

MK Dons came into the contest in good form but they were pretty disappointing in the first half hour at Brisbane Road. 

The visitors created their first chance when Dean Bowditch released Patrick Bamford but his shot struck the side netting.

MK Dons put the ball in the net after 32 minutes after a decent finish from Bowditch but the offside flag came to the O's rescue. 

Orient tested the visiting keeper when Sawyer fired in a decent strike from the edge of the area.

Jamie Jones was forced into an excellent save before the break when he turned Shaun Williams' free-kick around the post. 

The O's had an opportunity through Cox but the winger's strike flew over the top of the visitors' crossbar.

Orient were convinced they should have had a penalty when Odubajo's cross appeared to hit Williams' hand but Andy D'Urso thought otherwise.

MK Dons came close to the opener through a powerful strike from Bamford which flashed just past Jones' post.

Williams again tested Jones with another decent free-kick which the keeper pushed round for a corner.

MK Dons put the ball in the net from the set piece but Mathias Kouo-Doumbe's header was ruled out for a foul in the area.

Russell Slade made his first change as Lee Cook was introduced in place of Charlie MacDonald.

Cook had an opportunity to make an impact but his low strike was comfortably saved by McLoughlin.

The former Watford winger's introduction was causing the visitors a few problems and his fizzing cross floated just past the far post. 

The match appeared to be heading for a draw but in the 81st minute Sawyer struck a low effort into the bottom corner for his first goal for the O's.

It was very nearly 2-0 when Cox had an effort which was brilliantly parried by McLoughlin.

But the hosts sealed an excellent three points when Cox and Lisbie exchanged passes on the counter-attack and the O's top scorer tucked the ball into the net.

Leyton Orient: Jones; Sawyer, Clarke, Vincelot, McSweeney; Cox, Smith, Rowlands, Odubajo; Lisbie, MacDonald (Cook, 69)

Subs not used: Butcher, Obafemi, James, Lee, Vanderhyde

MK Dons line-up McLoughlin; Otsemobor, Lewington, Doumbe, Williams; Potter, Lines, Chicksen (Powell, 61), Bowditch; Lowe (Chadwick, 61), Bamford

Subs not used: Smith, Baldock, McLeod, Kay

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Attendance: 4,634

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree