Millwall 0-2 Burnley

Clarets inflict first defeat of new year on Millwall

David Forde makes a hash of Sam Vokes' opener for Burnley. PICTURES BY KEITH GILLARD.

Martyn Woolford makes his Den debut

Liam Trotter makes a tackle

Andy Keogh goes close

Mark Beevers

Danny Shittu

First published in Latest Football News
Last updated

MILLWALL’S unbeaten start to 2013 came to a crashing halt on Saturday as they lost to Burnley at The Den.

Sam Vokes’ first half goal was added to by Danny Ings after the break as the Clarets leapfrogged the Lions in the table, ending their four-game unbeaten run in the process.

Martyn Woolford made his home debut for the Lions but fellow January signing Nathan Tyson started on the bench.

This Is Local London: Martyn Woolford makes his Den debut

Shane Lowry was suspended after picking up his 10th booking of the season while long-term absentee Paul Robinson and Scott Malone were both missing due to injury.

Burnley dominated the opening exchanges as they pinned Millwall back into their own half.

Keeper David Forde almost gifted the visitors the lead in the 16th minutewhen he tried to be too clever by taking on Vokes.

The Burnley striker won the ball and crossed to the far post where an unmarked Dean Marney scuffed his shot from six yards, much to Forde’s relief.

Vokes made Millwall pay three minutes later, though, as he scored the goal the Clarets deserved for an impressive start.

This Is Local London: Liam Trotter makes a tackle

Junior Stanislas beat two Lions defenders before a low cross from the left picked out Vokes, whose near-post prod rolled under Forde and into the back of the net.

The goal sparked Millwall into life as they were the better team for the remainder of the half, but they were unable to draw level before the break.

First James Henry’s 20-yard strike was inches over the bar as it landed on the roof of the net before Liam Trotter’s volley from Woolford’s cross forced a save from Lee Grant.

Manager Kenny Jackett brought loan signing Tyson on at half-time but it was Andy Keogh who should’ve levelled for the Lions five minutes into the second half as he blazed Henry’s cross high and wide from all of two yards.

But Burnley made no mistake at the other end as they grabbed a second goal to take control of the game in the 59th minute.

This Is Local London: Andy Keogh goes close

Kieran Trippier’s cross found Ings totally unmarked in the middle and he couldn’t believe his luck as he converted from six yards past a helpless Forde.

The crowd at a freezing cold Den expected a response from Millwall but it never materialised.

This Is Local London: Mark Beevers

The home side were lucky to still have any hope after Forde saved a low placed shot from substitute Keith Treacy in the 71st minute as the Burnley man was clean through on goal.

Adam Smith had a fizzing cross deflected over the bar for Millwall before Trotter’s low shot was cleared off the line in the closing stages, though it might have been heading wide.

This Is Local London: Danny Shittu

But Burnley kept the hosts at bay to take home all three points.

Jackett’s side will have to move on quickly from a bad day at the office as they play Aston Villa in the FA Cup fourth round at The Den on Friday night.

Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt

Millwall: Forde, Adam Smith, Shittu, Beevers, Jack Smith, Henry, Trotter, Abdou, Woolford (Tyson 46), Keogh, N’Guessan (Marquis 66). Subs not used: Taylor, Dunne, Wright, Racon, Osborne. Att: 9,384.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree