Magnificent seven for Leyton Orient after Johnstone's Paint Trophy win over Northampton Town

First published in Latest Football News This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by

Leyton Orient's magnificent run continued with their seventh consecutive win as their 3-0 victory at Northampton Town took them into the southern area semi-final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

A quickfire second-half brace from David Mooney made the difference for Orient before substitute Michael Symes converted a penalty.

The result equalled Orient's run of victories achieved in 1961 and maintained their remarkable turnaround of form under Russell Slade. It also took them within two rounds of a trip to Wembley in the Football League Trophy.

The O's made six changes from the team which won at Alfreton in the FA Cup. Martin Rowlands, Lee Cook and Kevin Lisbie were handed well earned rests from the match.

Jamie Jones was given a rare game in goal while Scott Cuthbert made his first start in defence since August.

Ryan Brunt returned to the attack alongside in-form Mooney while Dean Cox was handed the captaincy for the first time. 

Orient did not muster their first shot until the 20th minute of a low key start when Mooney turned and fired a long-range effort well over Lee Nicholls' bar.

The hosts had their first opportunity when Jake Robinson headed towards goal but it fell straight into the arms of Jones. 

Northampton created an opening through Louis Moult but his powerful strike was superbly blocked by Cuthbert. 

Aidy Boothroyd's side were looking the more dangerous side but still yet to test Jones as Ben Harding fired a hopeful effort well wide of the target. 

The Cobblers put the ball in the net through Robinson but the flag had already gone up after the ball went out of play for a goal kick. 

Northampton came very close to the opener after 41 minutes through Robinson's spectacular volley but Jones pulled off a brilliant save to turn the ball round for a corner.

Town had another chance late in the half as Moult ran onto the ball but Jones was quickly off his line to save the effort. 

Anthony Griffith only lasted five minutes of the second half before he was forced off with an injury and replaced by Jimmy Smith. 

The visitors took the lead after 57 minutes against the run of play. Moses Odubajo flicked the ball on and Mooney struck an effort which was blocked on the line. But the former Reading striker followed up to smash in the rebound effort. 

Orient doubled their lead eight minutes later when Mooney headed in Lloyd James' cross for his seventh goal in six games.

This marked the end of another excellent shift from the Irish forward as he was replaced by Symes. 

It got even better for the visitors when Odubajo's cross was handled in the area and Symes confidently stepped up to convert the penalty.

The O's made their final change in the last ten minutes when Fulham loanee Alex Smith was brought on for James. 

Orient happily saw out the end of the match to keep their interests in three competitions alive heading into next year. 

Northampton Town: Nicholls; East, Langmead, Tozer, Widdowson; Huws, Harding, Robinson (Hackett, 69), Demontagnac (Mukendi, 78); Platt, Moult (Akinfenwa, 69)

Subs not used: Snedker, Hornby

Leyton Orient Jones; McSweeney, Baudry, Cuthbert, Sawyer; Cox, Griffith (J Smith, 50), James (A Smith, 83), Odubajo; Brunt, Mooney (Symes, 66) 

Subs not used: Allsop, Obafemi

Referee: Mark Haywood

Attendance: 1,752

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree