Euell among five Addicks released
5:28pm Thursday 10th May 2012 in Addicks News
JASON Euell and Gary Doherty lead a list of five Charlton players who are being released at the end of their contracts.
The Addicks duo are joined by Mikel Alonso, Tosan Popo and Freddie Warren in departing The Valley after the successful 2011/12 League One title-winning campaign.
Charlton have already announced a sixth player, Conor Gough, had been released and the keeper was given special permission to play for Bristol Rovers last Saturday.
Euell, 35, once the club’s record signing, returned to The Valley last summer and featured 16 times during his latest stint, scoring twice.
“I always felt when Jason returned that he would be able to bring his experience on the pitch and in the dressing room, which he certainly did do,” said manager Chris Powell.
“We had a lot of young players joining us, and as well as scoring a couple of goals, he contributed over the season when he was involved in the team and made a difference around the place when he wasn’t.
“He still has a desire and appetite to play, which is why he went to AFC Wimbledon, and I felt it was only fitting to include him in the last game on Saturday.
“I know everyone, from me to the supporters, wishes him well in the future.
“He wants to carry on playing and I know that feeling well, but we’ve left the door open for Jason.
“I know he’s got an eye on coaching and who knows what will happen in a few years.”
Also departing is centre-half Doherty, 32, who finished the season on loan at Wycombe Wanderers and has made 52 appearances for the Addicks since arriving on a free signing in 2010.
“Doc’s been here for a couple of years, but found it hard to play this season due to the super form of our three centre-halves,” said Powell.
“He wanted to play so went out on loan and did very well for Wycombe.
“They sadly went down, but he’s a larger-than-life character in the dressing room and has the desire to play regularly and we wish him well.”
Spaniard Alonso, 31, was a free signing last June, but the brother of Real Madrid midfielder Xabi initially struggled with injury and was then thwarted by success of the other members of Charlton’s squad.
He played just once for the club, featuring in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy defeat to Brentford last October.
“We wish Mikel well,” said Powell.
“He is keen to stay in England and play, but found it hard to break into the side with us because of the fine form of our other midfielders.”
The manager added: “We feel that Tosan and Freddie are both good young players who will have careers in the game, and we wish them well in their future careers.”
Striker Popo, 19, made one appearance for the Addicks, making his debut in the Carling Cup against Preston North End in September, and finished the campaign on loan with Spanish side San Roque de Lepe.
His fellow homegrown youngster, 19-year-old midfielder Warren, was named on the Addicks bench on several occasions without making his senior debut for the club.
He has been on loan this season to Hayes & Yeading United, Kettering Town and Bromley.
Follow us on Twitter @NewsShopperSprt