Leyton Orient did the unthinkable and gained a 2-2 draw against promotion chasers Luton Town at Kenilworth Road Danny Hylton opened the scoring in the first half before Liam Kelly scored from the spot to level the scores.

Tristan Abrahams made to two to the east London club before Isaac Vassell gave the Hatters the lifeline they needed.

The O’s live to fight another day as they fended off relegation into the National League for the first time in 112 years.

In the first chance of the match, James Justin won the ball inside the O’s half and drove towards the area but Aron Pollock tracked back well to put off the impending danger.

Luton kept pressing the young O’s defence and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu combined well with Jordan Cook on the edge of the area but Michael Clark got the ball back to Sam Sargeant.

Alan Sheehan crossed in a dangerous ball a minute later, and Lawson D’Ath got a head to it but the chance was off target.

Orient gained their first chance in the 14th minute when Sam Dalby turned well inside the Luton area and past to Michael Collins.

The midfielder crossed the ball into the penalty area and Victor Adeboyejo just headed the ball over the bar.

In the 17th minute, the Hatters gained a corner but Cook’s set-piece was headed goalwards by Scott Cuthbert and the ball bounce back to the former O before Liam Kelly blocked his second attempt.

The second corner was met by Glen Rea but Sargeant was equal to the effort and made the save.

The Hatters gained a corner half an hour into the game after Kelly displayed some great defending to stop a dangerous cross going into the box.

Sheehan’s corner was met by Olly Lee on the edge of the area but his volley went well wide of the post.

The deadlock was eventually broken in the 33rd minute when Lee played an outrageous pass over the top of the Orient defence.

Hylton was the man to meet the ball, with Semedo doing all he could to track back and defend but the striker was too quick and he slotted the ball into the corner.

Three minutes later, D’Ath tried a shot after a Sheehan free-kick smacked the wall but Sargeant made an easy save.

Luke Gambin looked certain to double the hosts lead with a volley two minutes before the end of the first half but Sargeant parried away the shot to keep the score at 1-0.

Orient started well in the second half and Collins shot a free-kick on target in the 51st minute but Stuart Moore got down well to make the save.

And three minutes later, Kelly hit the back of the net from the spot after Rea handled the ball in the area from a Collins shot.

Luton tried to restore their lead after Hylton passed the ball onto an onrushing Sheehan but the latter’s shot was from a tight angle and it went out for a goal kick.

And in what was against the complete run of the play the O’s made it 2-1 when Abrahams scored his first goal for the club slotting him after a fantastic play by Kelly.

The visitors almost had a third in the 70th minute when Abrahams passed the ball to Adeboyejo but Moore was first to the loose ball.

Luton eventually found the equaliser six minutes later when Vassell was given plenty of space and placed the ball into the far corner.

In the last 10 minutes of the game, Adeboyejo raced onto a pass down the right and tried to find Abrahams in the box but it was too far for the forward.

Luton’s D’Ath tried to find the winner in the 88th minute, but his shot was off target and went wide of the post.

Koroma almost scored the winner in injury time when Adeboyejo flicked on a great ball and the former almost scores but James Justin gets back to clear the danger.

Orient managed to hold on for the point and stopped a losing run in the process.

Luton starting XI: Moore, Cuthbert, Hylton, Cook (Gambin 24), Marriott (Vassell 65), Rea, Mpanzu (Gray 84), Lee, D’Ath, Justin, Sheehan Subs not used: O’Donnell, Potts, Smith, King Orient starting xi: Sargeant, Pollock, Mezague, Clark, Kelly, Collins, Semedo, Alzate (Koroma 79), Ochieng (Moncur 87), Dalby (Abrahams 45), Adeboyejo Subs not used: Grainger, Liburd, Alderson, Happe