Leyton Orient fell 3-0 to Grimsby Town in a Sky Bet League Two fixture at Brisbane Road despite having the better of the chances.

Sam Jones opened the scoring, before Callum Kennedy scored an own goal in the second with Scott Vernon capping off the Mariners win in style.

The O’s had a great few opportunities to find the back of the net but lacked any flare in the final third.

Danny Webb’s side will hope they can pick up some points when they travel to Accrington Stanley on Tuesday night.

There was a worrying moment for Orient keeper Charlie Grainger in the first minute of the match.

Grimsby’s Sam Jones blocked his clearance and it scattered across goal before the young keeper ran back to gather.

And the visitors were able to break the deadlock after six minutes when Jones was left unmarked in the box and headed the ball home to Grainger’s left.

Orient searched for the equaliser and Michael Collins clever pass found Sandro Semedo on the left. The winger teed up Callum Kennedy but his cross was punched away by James McKeown.

The hosts had two chances in quick succession when Josh Koroma won a free-kick on the right-hand side but Collins’ free-kick was too high for Tom Parkes.

Two minutes, Collins thread a brilliant ball through to Koroma but the linesman pulled his flag up for offside.

After some good play from the O’s, Steven Alzate’s shot was initially blocked by the Mariners defence. The ball fell to Freddy Moncur, outside the box, but he drilled the ball wide of the post.

With six minutes to go until the end of the first half, Collins’ free-kick was kepy alive by Parkes at the far post, Semedo eventually won a corner but McKeown made the save.

And just before the end of the first 45, The Mariners gained a free-kick in a dangerous position but Dominic Vose’s kick was pushed behind by Grainger with the resulting corner coming to nothing.

Orient got off to a quick start when Sam Dalby got onto the end of a Myles Judd cross but McKeown was able to gather the ball once again.

On the 50th minute, Moncur went down 20-yards from goal under Craig Disley’s challenge but Nicky Hunt’s free-kick went over the bar.

Grimsby’s Jones attempted to double his sides lead with an overhead kick in the Orient area but his effort flew well wide of the post in the 52nd minute.

Hunt managed to keep the O’s from going 2-0 down after some superb defending saw him thwart Calum Dyson inside the O’s penalty area.

Things went from bad to worse for Orient. In Grimsby’s only second chance of the game they found the back of the net.

Grainger initially saved well from Jones but the ball came back out and rolled into the net off Kennedy.

Koroma came close to reducing the deficit in the 80th minute when he curled an effort just over the bar from the edge of the area.

And the young midfielder tried his best once again six minutes later as he got behind Zak Mills inside the area but his cross could only hit the side-netting.

Vernon surely ensured Grimsby took the three points when the ex-Aberdeen player volleyed the ball home past Grainger.

Kennedy tried to grab one back for Orient in injury time but he could only hit the ball of the post as Orient’s worries continue to mount.

Orient starting XI: Grainger, Judd, Hunt, Parkes, Kennedy, Collins, Moncur, Semedo, Alzate, Dalby (Abrahams 70), Koroma Subs not used: Sargeant, Atangana, Mezague, Liburd, Ochieng, Clark, Abrahams Grimsby starting XI: McKeown, Mills, Pearson, Collins, Andrew, DIsley, Comley, Bolarinwa (Osborne 56), Collins, Dyson (Asante 65), Jones (Vernon 81) Subs not used: Davies, Boyce, Yussuf, Asante, Maxwell