A father-of-four who was attacked in his own home has donated thousands of pounds to St George’s Hospital nurses who treated him.
Thousands more has been used to set up a reward fund to trace a man wanted in connection with the brutal attack on Paul Kohler, 55.
He suffered life-changing injuries when he was attacked in his Kings Road home in Wimbledon earlier this month.
Two men have been charged by police in relation to the attack, a third man has been arrested and a fourth, who police believe is Oskar Pawlowichz, 29, is wanted in connection with the violent burglary.
Oskar Pawlowichz, 29, is wanted in connection with the violent burglary.
The footage shows a ‘panicked’ man taking off gloves and walking quickly through the New Wimbledon Theatre car park a minute after the brutal attack on Monday, August 11.
The Kohler family has received £8,000 in fees from the Mail on Sunday for an interview about what happened but instead of pocketing the money, generous Mr Kohler has donated some of it to hospital staff who cared for him.
Mr Kohler the day after the attack.
He has requested that £1,000 of it goes to the Maxillofacial Fund St George's Hospital, £1,000 to Moorfields Eye Hospital, and £1,000 to the Florence Nightingale Ward at St George's Hospital.
A total of £5,000 has been returned to the newspaper to set up a reward for information which leads to the arrest or information on the whereabouts of Pawlowichz.
Mr Kohler, who is recovering from the ordeal and is waiting to under-go reconstructive eye surgery, said: “I hope it will make a difference and make people think again about what they know or what they saw.
“I want them to think back, think about what they heard or saw on the day or afterwards.
“If someone saw someone who looks like him, get in touch with police.
“Something might ring a bell.”
Detective Inspector Dan O’Sullivan, who is leading the investigation from Wimbledon police station, said: “Paul has done the right thing giving money to the hospital.
“He wanted to give the rest to the police but we can’t accept it.
“We have got a man-hunt.
“We are hoping the reward will lead to any information leading to his arrest and whereabouts.”
An appeal is scheduled to be broadcast on Crimewatch later this month if Pawlowichz is not apprehended.
A residents’ meeting has been set up by ward councillors to address safety fears. It will take place on Friday, September 19 at the Holy Trinity Church Hall in The Broadway from 7.15pm.