Blaze in Spray Street, Woolwich, Caribbean shop's storage unit
FIREFIGHTERS were called to Woolwich last night after the storage unit above a Caribbean food shop caught fire.
The owner of the shop in Spray Street was working downstairs at about 10.50pm when he became aware the floor above was alight and so called the fire brigade.
Crews from Woolwich, Plumstead and East Greenwich managed to stop the flames from spreading downstairs but the roof and part of the upstairs storage area were completely destroyed.
It is not yet known how the fire started.
The shop owner had lived in the upstairs part of the building for a time and some of his belongings were still in it at the time of the blaze.
Firefighters left the scene by around 2.30am.