Eighteen firefighters tackle early morning blaze at Walthamstow flat

'Lucky escape' for pregnant woman rescued from flat fire

'Lucky escape' for pregnant woman rescued from flat fire

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A pregnant woman was among three residents who had a lucky escape during a flat fire this morning. 

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze at a flat in Pembar Avenue, Walthamstow, at around 4am. 

Firefighters led a woman to safety from the back garden and rescued a man and pregnant woman by ladder from the first floor flat. 

The home, converted into two flats and not fitted with alarms, was completely filled with smoke.

London Fire Brigade watch manager, Charlotte Fitzgerald, said: "There were no smoke alarms in the property so the residents had a lucky escape. 

"Working smoke alarms are essential because they provide vital early warnings and allow extra time to escape if there is a fire in your home.”

The two women and man were treated by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation. 

London Ambulance Service has been asked for futher information. 

Firefighters from Walthamstow and Leytonstone fire stations were called at 4.04am and the blaze was under control within 40 minutes. 

 

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:10pm Wed 20 Aug 14

chingford lad says...

Not fitted with smoke alarms! could it be an illegal conversion?
Not fitted with smoke alarms! could it be an illegal conversion? chingford lad
  • Score: 3

2:38pm Wed 20 Aug 14

jonny mash says...

chingford lad wrote:
Not fitted with smoke alarms! could it be an illegal conversion?
There should have been a rear fire escape and window ladders for the 1st floor flat . Also, proper self closing fire doors would have stopped the smoke spreading, a very lucky escape
[quote][p][bold]chingford lad[/bold] wrote: Not fitted with smoke alarms! could it be an illegal conversion?[/p][/quote]There should have been a rear fire escape and window ladders for the 1st floor flat . Also, proper self closing fire doors would have stopped the smoke spreading, a very lucky escape jonny mash
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree