A SWEET manufacturer, two restaurants and a butcher were forced to close when unannounced inspections by Ealing Council food safety officers revealed serious health risks.
The borough was awarded legal costs at Ealing Magistrates’ Court following the emergency closure of Balaji Foods, Bilal Halal Meats, Coco Noodle Bar and Kabul Restaurant & Banqueting.
In each case, officers were satisfied the condition of the premises posed an imminent risk of injury to health and served an emergency notice to close the businesses immediately.
They remained closed until the risks were removed and improvements made. In each case the action taken was confirmed by the court.
Coco Noodle Bar, a restaurant on Ealing Broadway, was forced to close for a week when officers discovered dirt and rat droppings on surfaces and a dead rodent on the kitchen floor.
Balaji Foods, a small sweet manufacturer trading at Long Drive in Greenford, was temporarily closed due to a poor standard of cleaning and pest control.
Bilal Halal Meat, a halal butchers on Winford Parade, Southall, was temporarily shut down due to a mouse infestation, flies and contaminated food. Afghan restaurant Kabul Restaurant & Banqueting on The Broadway in Southall was closed for two weeks when officers uncovered a mice infestation as well as dirt and grease.
Cllr Julian Bell, leader of Ealing Council, said: “These are some revolting examples of what can happen when businesses do not maintain proper standards of cleanliness.”
All businesses have since reopened.
Residents are urged to check the food hygiene rating of firms at www.food.gov.uk. Anyone concerned that a business is breaching food hygiene regulations should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8825 6666.