Forest Hill man died after vibrator became stuck in his bottom

Mr Willis was eventually taken to Lewisham Hospital

Mr Willis was eventually taken to Lewisham Hospital

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , deputy news editor

A 50-year-old Forest Hill man died after a vibrator became stuck in his bottom and he was too embarrassed to see a doctor, an inquest heard today (August 12). 
 
Nigel Willis could not remove the sex aid and spent five days lying on the sofa of the Dartmouth Road home he shared with his elderly mum. 
 
He was left dizzy, weak and unable to move, Southwark Coroners' Court heard. 
 
The diabetic was eventually rushed to Lewisham Hospital on December 30 after a friend begged him to get help. He was admitted to intensive care on New Year's Eve after suffering septic shock.
 
Surgeons managed to remove the vibrator, which had become stuck so deep in Mr Willis's rectum it had perforated his bowel.
 
Mr Willis was a diabetic who was single and unemployed at the time of his death. 
 
Lewisham Hospital consultant Dr Adebowale Adesina said: "The history was that his friend or carer called an ambulance because he complained of dizziness, weakness and was unable to move from the sofa for five days."
 
It was discovered Mr Willis had a "foreign body" in his anus and he underwent emergency surgery. 

Mr Willis' condition deteriorated and he became less responsive, dying at 7am on February 7 this year. 
 
The post mortem conducted by Dr Peter Jerreat determined the cause of death to be multi-organ failure, sepsis and a perforated bowel. 
 
Assistant coroner to inner-south London Sarah Ormand-Walshe said: "This is a sad case of a man who died at 50 years of age.
 
"He appears to have had a foreign object which has become stuck in the lower part of his bowel and had been there for a number of days when he was encouraged to go to hospital by his friends on December 30. 
 
"That night it was discovered that it looked like he had a perforated bowel." 
 
Ms Ormand-Walshe said Mr Willis was left 'fighting for his life' over the ensuing days. 
 
The coroner ruled Mr Willis died as a result of an accident. 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree