Tributes to Lee Green builder Alex Scott murdered 'in row over cigarette'

Alex Scott

A picture of the scene by Ruby Monroe

Lee Green murder - man 'stabbed to death in Eltham Road following argument'

UPDATE: Lee Green murder - man stabbed to death 'following argument over cigarette' named locally as Alex Scott

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , deputy news editor

A 26-year-old builder was stabbed to death following an argument over a cigarette in Lee, according to neighbours.

Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 9.46pm yesterday (August 10) to Eltham Road, to reports of a man suffering from stab wounds outside the Leegate Shopping Centre.

The victim - named locally as Alex Scott, a married builder, formerly of neighbouring Leybridge Court - had suffered stab wounds to the chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

This Is Local London:

Neighbours spoke of their shock at the killing, with some claiming the argument had started over a cigarette, with the victim throwing a punch before things escalated out of control.

Shopkeeper Imran Mohammad said he had been told by a friend of the dead man that the victim had started arguing with two men after asking for a smoke beside a bus stop.

The 29-year-old said: "He asked someone for a cigarette. They refused to give it to him and then he punched him."

According to neighbours, the man was then chased through the shopping centre before he was killed.

Mr Mohammad said: "I was really shocked.

"We've been here for five years now in this area. It's ok now, it's daytime. But at night time you have to worry."

Two people came to lay flowers at the scene today but were too distressed to talk.

But scores of tributes have been made to Mr Scott on social media. Relative Roni Scott wrote: "This is unreal. I wish RIP meant return is possible. We all love you very much and are now missing you like crazy. 

"The thought of you being gone still hasn't sunk in. You're never going to be forgotten about.  Love you forever and always. Rest in perfect paradise."

This Is Local London:

Tara Walker wrote: "Oh Alex I can't believe this. U will be missed. U had a heart of gold and a lot to give. I hope those bastards who did this rot in hell. 

"But for you my loyal and protective friend, rest in peace. Will not forget you."

And younger sister Charliee Scott said: "RIP to my big brother Alex Scott. I love you so much, and I will miss you forever, my heart is breaking, you will forever been in our hearts, we all love you and tonight was the worst night of our lives."

Eltham Road remains closed beside the centre while police and forensics carry out their investigations. There have been no arrests so far.

Inspector Shaun Carre-Brown from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command said "Early indications suggest that the victim was involved in an argument with two males before being stabbed.

"I would urge anyone who witnessed the attack to call police on 101 immediately."

If you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.Eltham Road remains closed beside the centre while police and forensics carry out their investigations. There have been no arrests so far.

Inspector Shaun Carre-Brown from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command said "Early indications suggest that the victim was involved in an argument with two males before being stabbed.

"I would urge anyone who witnessed the attack to call police on 101 immediately."

If you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

- Did you see what happened? Call the newsroom on 01689 885714 or email mchandler@london.newsquest.co.uk

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:17am Mon 11 Aug 14

white rabbit9 says...

Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.
Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy. white rabbit9
  • Score: -34

1:56pm Mon 11 Aug 14

G_Whiz says...

white rabbit9 wrote:
Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.
I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters!
[quote][p][bold]white rabbit9[/bold] wrote: Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.[/p][/quote]I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters! G_Whiz
  • Score: 31

2:49pm Mon 11 Aug 14

bojimbo26 says...

Until it was dropped , using a knife carried a 5 year mandatory prison sentence . The coalitian doesn't want to know .
Until it was dropped , using a knife carried a 5 year mandatory prison sentence . The coalitian doesn't want to know . bojimbo26
  • Score: 39

3:48pm Mon 11 Aug 14

Marty1979 says...

Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life
Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life Marty1979
  • Score: 28

4:07pm Mon 11 Aug 14

white rabbit9 says...

Marty1979 wrote:
Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life
You are theirfore a non smoker. Smoker world is mean.
[quote][p][bold]Marty1979[/bold] wrote: Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life[/p][/quote]You are theirfore a non smoker. Smoker world is mean. white rabbit9
  • Score: -38

4:19pm Mon 11 Aug 14

the wall says...

G_Whiz wrote:
white rabbit9 wrote:
Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.
I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters!
When was that?
[quote][p][bold]G_Whiz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white rabbit9[/bold] wrote: Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.[/p][/quote]I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters![/p][/quote]When was that? the wall
  • Score: 1

4:41pm Mon 11 Aug 14

Bestbaz says...

The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation.........
...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke...............
.however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable.

Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.
The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation......... ...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke............... .however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable. Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate. Bestbaz
  • Score: 35

6:55pm Mon 11 Aug 14

satsuma27 says...

That's three stabbings in a few years round Lee.Jimmy Mizen,A young lad who got stabbed outside Sainsburys and now this.Lee Green is well run down and needs government regeneration.
That's three stabbings in a few years round Lee.Jimmy Mizen,A young lad who got stabbed outside Sainsburys and now this.Lee Green is well run down and needs government regeneration. satsuma27
  • Score: 31

10:01pm Mon 11 Aug 14

G_Whiz says...

the wall wrote:
G_Whiz wrote:
white rabbit9 wrote:
Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.
I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters!
When was that?
I grew up in the 70's and 80's and yes there were stabbings - but no routine carrying, and much fewer gangsta wannabees! But it was the Glorious fifties that were best.....

Quote from Philip Johnston at the Telegraph

'You have to go back to the 1950s for the last time people anywhere, but especially in the towns and cities, left their doors open - and certainly not at night.

That was a time when crime was significantly lower and the criminal justice system more effective. There were far fewer police, yet they were more were visible on the streets. Many lived in the sorts of communities into which they now commute. Often they lived in a police house, virtually all of which have now been sold.

It is fashionable for politicians and police chiefs to sneer at the idea of the 1950s ''golden age" and it certainly was not a period free of crime. But most people did not experience crime in the way they do today.

Council estates were not riven by crime; it was possible to leave the back door unlocked at night; public buildings were not covered with graffiti; vandalism was rare; and gross incivility towards adults and police officers was unusual.

Sir Ian was born in 1953 when the crime total was at least 10 times less than it is now. Those who committed an offence were more likely to be caught and punished: the police cleared up 51 per cent of robberies, compared with about 24 per cent today, and clear-up rates for burglary and theft were twice what they are now.

Aaah! - the good old days!
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G_Whiz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white rabbit9[/bold] wrote: Over something pathetic! Prefered the days when everyone was on ecstasy.[/p][/quote]I prefered the day's when knives were not cool and routinely carried by plastic gangsters![/p][/quote]When was that?[/p][/quote]I grew up in the 70's and 80's and yes there were stabbings - but no routine carrying, and much fewer gangsta wannabees! But it was the Glorious fifties that were best..... Quote from Philip Johnston at the Telegraph 'You have to go back to the 1950s for the last time people anywhere, but especially in the towns and cities, left their doors open - and certainly not at night. That was a time when crime was significantly lower and the criminal justice system more effective. There were far fewer police, yet they were more were visible on the streets. Many lived in the sorts of communities into which they now commute. Often they lived in a police house, virtually all of which have now been sold. It is fashionable for politicians and police chiefs to sneer at the idea of the 1950s ''golden age" and it certainly was not a period free of crime. But most people did not experience crime in the way they do today. Council estates were not riven by crime; it was possible to leave the back door unlocked at night; public buildings were not covered with graffiti; vandalism was rare; and gross incivility towards adults and police officers was unusual. Sir Ian was born in 1953 when the crime total was at least 10 times less than it is now. Those who committed an offence were more likely to be caught and punished: the police cleared up 51 per cent of robberies, compared with about 24 per cent today, and clear-up rates for burglary and theft were twice what they are now. Aaah! - the good old days! G_Whiz
  • Score: 21

11:07pm Mon 11 Aug 14

moggy80 says...

Just thinking of his wife.
Condolences, whatever happened. The guy has left a wife, friends and family behind who must be utterly devastated. Thinking of you. -
Resident of Eltham road.
Just thinking of his wife. Condolences, whatever happened. The guy has left a wife, friends and family behind who must be utterly devastated. Thinking of you. - Resident of Eltham road. moggy80
  • Score: 31

7:38am Tue 12 Aug 14

sarfflondonbird says...

Bestbaz wrote:
The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation.........

...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke...............

.however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable.

Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.
I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)?
Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this.
[quote][p][bold]Bestbaz[/bold] wrote: The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation......... ...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke............... .however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable. Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)? Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: 29

9:59am Tue 12 Aug 14

Hmmm89 says...

As Alex's cousin I think it would only be fair to comment. Firstly I would just like to say please do not believe all that you read in a news article we all know that every newspaper all have different version of events all of which seem to be very similar...some of which stating the victim threw the first punch and some of which are stating the killers of my cousin had threw the first punch and had chased him to then go on to stab him. These cowards who were carrying a knife in the first place were clearly looking for trouble. If you carry a knife in my eyes you have the intent to kill. Let's just hope these scum are brought to justice so my family can have some comfort and in which knowing they won't be on the streets to devastate someone else's poor family.
As Alex's cousin I think it would only be fair to comment. Firstly I would just like to say please do not believe all that you read in a news article we all know that every newspaper all have different version of events all of which seem to be very similar...some of which stating the victim threw the first punch and some of which are stating the killers of my cousin had threw the first punch and had chased him to then go on to stab him. These cowards who were carrying a knife in the first place were clearly looking for trouble. If you carry a knife in my eyes you have the intent to kill. Let's just hope these scum are brought to justice so my family can have some comfort and in which knowing they won't be on the streets to devastate someone else's poor family. Hmmm89
  • Score: 51

10:21am Tue 12 Aug 14

reasonable75 says...

I see a 17 year old has been arrested
I see a 17 year old has been arrested reasonable75
  • Score: 13

11:43am Tue 12 Aug 14

Downhamlad says...

white rabbit9 wrote:
Marty1979 wrote:
Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life
You are theirfore a non smoker. Smoker world is mean.
I'm a smoker - but wouldn't throw a punch if someone effused to give me a cigarette
[quote][p][bold]white rabbit9[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Marty1979[/bold] wrote: Argument over a cigarette? And for that someone has lost his life[/p][/quote]You are theirfore a non smoker. Smoker world is mean.[/p][/quote]I'm a smoker - but wouldn't throw a punch if someone effused to give me a cigarette Downhamlad
  • Score: 34

11:51am Tue 12 Aug 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Well smoking is bad for your health.
Well smoking is bad for your health. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 8

2:44pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Emma_san10 says...

sarfflondonbird wrote:
Bestbaz wrote:
The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation.........


...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke...............


.however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable.

Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.
I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)?
Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this.
I completely agree, this same website we are on now published an article about worst and best crime areas...

http://www.thisisloc
allondon.co.uk/news/
topstories/889199.lo
ndons_most_dangerous
_streets_revealed/

Ironically Eltham wasn't mentioned at all? It's such a shame that people have narrow minded views of places without actually knowing their facts. I suppose the media does have a lot to answer for.
[quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bestbaz[/bold] wrote: The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation......... ...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke............... .however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable. Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)? Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this.[/p][/quote]I completely agree, this same website we are on now published an article about worst and best crime areas... http://www.thisisloc allondon.co.uk/news/ topstories/889199.lo ndons_most_dangerous _streets_revealed/ Ironically Eltham wasn't mentioned at all? It's such a shame that people have narrow minded views of places without actually knowing their facts. I suppose the media does have a lot to answer for. Emma_san10
  • Score: 19

12:01pm Wed 13 Aug 14

the wall says...

Emma_san10 wrote:
sarfflondonbird wrote:
Bestbaz wrote:
The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation.........



...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke...............



.however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable.

Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.
I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)?
Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this.
I completely agree, this same website we are on now published an article about worst and best crime areas...

http://www.thisisloc

allondon.co.uk/news/

topstories/889199.lo

ndons_most_dangerous

_streets_revealed/

Ironically Eltham wasn't mentioned at all? It's such a shame that people have narrow minded views of places without actually knowing their facts. I suppose the media does have a lot to answer for.
Why would Eltham be mentioned? This happened in Lee Green the road is called Eltham Road.
[quote][p][bold]Emma_san10[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bestbaz[/bold] wrote: The victim threw a punch because the people who he asked for a cigarette refused. So he punched them and no doubt expected no retaliation......... ...... Its not right to throw a punch because they said no, maybe they don't smoke............... .however, to stab the poor guy is beyond reason, but to stab him and take his life is unforgivable. Buts that's Eltemmm in sarf East Lundun for ya, innit mate.[/p][/quote]I totally agree with most of what you say here, but on the other hand, does this kind of thing not happen where you live or in the u.k. altogether? It's not just a South East London speciality (even though it gets more media coverage than the rest of Kent it would seem)? Condolences to the family, it should never have come to this.[/p][/quote]I completely agree, this same website we are on now published an article about worst and best crime areas... http://www.thisisloc allondon.co.uk/news/ topstories/889199.lo ndons_most_dangerous _streets_revealed/ Ironically Eltham wasn't mentioned at all? It's such a shame that people have narrow minded views of places without actually knowing their facts. I suppose the media does have a lot to answer for.[/p][/quote]Why would Eltham be mentioned? This happened in Lee Green the road is called Eltham Road. the wall
  • Score: 10

1:40pm Tue 9 Sep 14

Raedor says...

However you look at it a mans life lost over a fag!!! There are always two sides to every problem and though no one can ever condone such stupid violence. Lee himself had the look of a hard man, ready to anger and ready to, no doubt, use violence himself. In which case he probably did not attempt to placate the issue correctly, even inflamed it to the degree he lost.
However you look at it a mans life lost over a fag!!! There are always two sides to every problem and though no one can ever condone such stupid violence. Lee himself had the look of a hard man, ready to anger and ready to, no doubt, use violence himself. In which case he probably did not attempt to placate the issue correctly, even inflamed it to the degree he lost. Raedor
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree