Organiser mugged during First World War event in Walthamstow

Tommy Anderson was mugged during an event in Walthamtow Market to mark the start of the First World War

Tommy Anderson was mugged during an event in Walthamtow Market to mark the start of the First World War

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter, covering Chingford, Highams Park and Woodford. Call me on 07795 476 625

The organiser of an event marking the beginnning of the First World War was mugged as he thanked guests for their support. 

Tommy Anderson, 58, of Southcote Road in Walthamstow, arranged Sunday's event in Walthamstow Market, alongside the community group, St James St Big Local. 

It was attended by about 150 people, including Waltham Forest mayor, Terry Wheeler, and ran from 1pm to 3pm.  

Mr Anderson, a former Lance Corporal, arranged a performance by the Caledonian Stow Pipe Band, presentations by the Walthamstow and Chingford branches of the Royal British Legion (RBL), and a blessing by Father Steven Saxby, of St Barnabas Parish Church in Walthamstow. 

But during a later tea party Mr Anderson was robbed of £400 by a thief who had sat and watched the service.  

He said: "I was standing at the table talking to guests and this man came over to me and said 'what's this all about?'.

" I told him 'you know what this is all about, you've been sitting over there for half an hour'.

"I then felt his hand inside my pocket and he then ran off. I shouted out ‘he's got my money'.

"Two or three people gave chase, but he got into a car in Pretoria Avenue and it drove off."   

The 58-year-old, who has worked with various voluntary organisations including Christian Kitchen in Mission Grove and Crest charity shop in High Street, had drawn out the money at an ATM machine earlier that day to buy food and pay his rent and council tax immediately after the event.

Shocked by the turn of events, the community rallied together and had a whip round, raising £130.

The mugger who was dressed in all black clothing, is described as 5ft 2' tall, of a very slim build, has dark hair and olive skin.

For more on this story, see this week's Waltham Forest Guardian - out tomorrow

 

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:55am Wed 6 Aug 14

Villagecranberry says...

Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook.

The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight.
But let us not forget that crime is actually down.

Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders?

Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves. Villagecranberry
  • Score: -6

8:42am Wed 6 Aug 14

tjm01 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while tjm01
  • Score: 7

8:55am Wed 6 Aug 14

DaveInTheForest says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
well - when did YOU last see a copper on the beat. Perhaps they are all down your road looking after you? Just tell us.
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]well - when did YOU last see a copper on the beat. Perhaps they are all down your road looking after you? Just tell us. DaveInTheForest
  • Score: -8

9:02am Wed 6 Aug 14

tjm01 says...

Funny you say that, I have noticed an increase in the foot patrols in Wanstead High Street over the past 2-3 weeks
Funny you say that, I have noticed an increase in the foot patrols in Wanstead High Street over the past 2-3 weeks tjm01
  • Score: 9

9:15am Wed 6 Aug 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public.

You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself! Villagecranberry
  • Score: -4

10:20am Wed 6 Aug 14

Chingfordsfinest says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public.

You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
Villagecranberry. I don't usually agree with a lot you say, but on this occasion you are absolutely spot on!!!
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself![/p][/quote]Villagecranberry. I don't usually agree with a lot you say, but on this occasion you are absolutely spot on!!! Chingfordsfinest
  • Score: 1

3:20pm Wed 6 Aug 14

tjm01 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up

What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself![/p][/quote]I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article tjm01
  • Score: 3

4:26pm Wed 6 Aug 14

Villagecranberry says...

tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up

What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article
Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return.

As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public.

Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'..
[quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself![/p][/quote]I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article[/p][/quote]Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return. As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public. Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'.. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 0

12:25am Thu 7 Aug 14

G_Whiz says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up

What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article
Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return.

As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public.

Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'..
It is no mystery - the Police cannot cope at the moment - i know a few coppers and they all tell me they are overstretched and have low morale.
Their superiors let them down by not admitting this fact - instead they cover up for the governments lack of funding and the courts lack of support.

The quicker they admit the obvious the quicker the government will be forced to act.

We need to get back to feeling sorry for the victims not the criminals.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself![/p][/quote]I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article[/p][/quote]Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return. As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public. Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'..[/p][/quote]It is no mystery - the Police cannot cope at the moment - i know a few coppers and they all tell me they are overstretched and have low morale. Their superiors let them down by not admitting this fact - instead they cover up for the governments lack of funding and the courts lack of support. The quicker they admit the obvious the quicker the government will be forced to act. We need to get back to feeling sorry for the victims not the criminals. G_Whiz
  • Score: 4

12:40am Thu 7 Aug 14

Villagecranberry says...

G_Whiz wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
tjm01 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.
Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while
Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself!
I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up

What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article
Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return.

As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public.

Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'..
It is no mystery - the Police cannot cope at the moment - i know a few coppers and they all tell me they are overstretched and have low morale.
Their superiors let them down by not admitting this fact - instead they cover up for the governments lack of funding and the courts lack of support.

The quicker they admit the obvious the quicker the government will be forced to act.

We need to get back to feeling sorry for the victims not the criminals.
You have hit the nail on the head. The chiefs will not admit defeat as they do not want to jeopardise their careers. There seems to be no supervision of the lower ranks also.
[quote][p][bold]G_Whiz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tjm01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Here is the contrast of what the sacrifice of millions In the war went through to ensure the freedom of thieves and low life such as this crook. The common feature these days prevails though, not a policeman in sight. But let us not forget that crime is actually down. Will the police massage this crime into a 'No Crime' as the victim got some money back after a whip round by bystanders? Will the police actually bother with investigating this or are the all too bothered with catching petrol thieves.[/p][/quote]Once again another attack at the police using someone elses misfortune as a platform to spout your vile and far too often untrue comments, the common feature theses days is that you seem to be infatuated with belittling and disrespecting to police force at every opportunity, try channeling all that pent up anger an frustration into something worth while[/p][/quote]Any criticism I give of the police is more than justified as I contribute to paying their budget. It is wrong that police are rarely about preventing offences and that there exists more of a squad massaging figures on paper to reduce the statistics for political purposes. Until people like you realise the extent of the situation they will feel justified in conning the public. You fail to address or counter any of my specific accusations about the police. For instance, do you dispute they massage the crime figures? They have admitted in themselves! Bernard-Howell ,did himself![/p][/quote]I have no reason to dispute the fact that crime figures may well have been massaged, this is because there is hard evidence to support this , and like everyone else you have a right to voice your criticisms/opinions, the issue is your accusations regarding police officers spending all day in cafes, and not being proactive are just/only your opinion and to date you have been unable to provide evidence to support your claim, so until you can provide such evidence I like many others will presume you are making it up What you fail to understand is that given that you use every opportunity to slate the police force (a negative) you miss out the positive bit about the public spirted people who raised £130 for this poor unfortunite guy, or maybe I am mistaken perhaps you never read all of the article[/p][/quote]Yes it is very public spirited that the public softened the blow a bit and raised £130.00. My point is this was an event and in a location with hundreds of people about and one would expect at least one copper to have been sent there, even in support as well as showing a police presence. The other matter is that in recent years, any such parade has encouraged protests, like the poppy burning incidents in recent times. The police are rapidly losing the support of the public and are removing themselves from the community, they hardly engage in casual conversation these days and their policy of closing stations, although in some respects not entirely their fault will take decades to return. As for them hanging about in cafés, I pop along to the pitch and put in Sewardstone and at times you cannot get into the car park there for the amount of police cars and vans. The same also goes for parts of the Woodford area and the tea huts along Whipp cross Road, police cars and vans parked throughout the day with overweight policeman stuffing themselves with fatty foods in full view of the public. Meanwhile whenever people phone for the police the public are told that they are 'too busy'..[/p][/quote]It is no mystery - the Police cannot cope at the moment - i know a few coppers and they all tell me they are overstretched and have low morale. Their superiors let them down by not admitting this fact - instead they cover up for the governments lack of funding and the courts lack of support. The quicker they admit the obvious the quicker the government will be forced to act. We need to get back to feeling sorry for the victims not the criminals.[/p][/quote]You have hit the nail on the head. The chiefs will not admit defeat as they do not want to jeopardise their careers. There seems to be no supervision of the lower ranks also. Villagecranberry
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree