A takeaway has re-opened after a mice infestation, poor cleanliness and a ‘complete lack of food safety management’ meant an emergency order was granted by magistrates.
Merton Council environmental officers said they are happy with the hard work being done by staff at Xu Sheng in London Road, Mitcham, to improve conditions after an inspection raised concerns.
The Chinese, Thai and Indian takeaway in Monarch Parade has now been fully re-opened after owners worked with the council to make improvements.
The emergency prohibition order to close the takeaway was lifted on Thursday, July 23 after it was made at the request of the council at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on Friday, July 18.
It meant the takeaway had to be closed while staff improved the conditions of the shop.
Court documents show officers raised concerns that there was a risk of injury to health, there was "a complete lack of any food safety management at the premises which were in an extremely poor structural condition, the state of cleanliness of the premises and equipment was very poor, mouse infestation" which was impacting on food being stored.
When approached for a comment, the manager said it was open as usual and the business was running as normal.
Merton’s cabinet member for environmental cleanliness and parking, Councillor Judy Saunders, said: "An emergency prohibition order was granted by Wimbledon Magistrates Court on Friday, July 18 for Xu Sheng to remain closed until the conditions in their shop improved.
"Since then environmental officers have continued to visit making sure the requirements of the order were being met.
"We are happy with the hard work carried out by the owner and staff and have lifted the prohibition to allow trading."