Road users warned of closures ahead of Ride London event

This Is Local London: Closures: Roads in Kingston town centre will be affected Closures: Roads in Kingston town centre will be affected

As athletes prepare to zip through the borough for this year's Ride London event, organisers have warned of road closures throughout the town centre.

Some roads on the outbound route will be closed from 5am on Sunday, August 10, and will reopen between 3pm and 7pm.

The handcycle event, with a field including Paralympic athletes, will set off from the Ancient Market Place at 8.30am.

Businesses have planned ahead for this year's event after losing up to 60 per cent of their trade last year.

Town centre managers Kingstonfirst have tried to market Kingston as a 'weekend destination' in the hope shoppers will stick around - visiting on Friday or Saturday and staying for the Sunday.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:57pm Thu 17 Jul 14

pinky107 says...

the organisers of this bore fest should take more consideration for those affected . people stuck in doors , businesses losing money , etc etc all because of this yearly rubbish . why cant they go round and round a royal park instead , there's enough of them ? why should people lose out on their lives because of this ? why no compensation to any one , just pure wrong .
the organisers of this bore fest should take more consideration for those affected . people stuck in doors , businesses losing money , etc etc all because of this yearly rubbish . why cant they go round and round a royal park instead , there's enough of them ? why should people lose out on their lives because of this ? why no compensation to any one , just pure wrong . pinky107
  • Score: -6

11:58pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Razor123 says...

Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night.
Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night. Razor123
  • Score: 6

10:09am Fri 18 Jul 14

PCBritainGoneMad! says...

Razor123 wrote:
Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night.
Brilliant! Loving your work.

Hey pinky107, do you actually enjoy anything in life? Moan, moan, moan, moan - how dare, for one day a year, someone try to put on a special event? Let's just have every day as boring as the last. Businesses should welcome the opportunity to try and make some money of hopefully a bigger crowd. I don't even like cycling but plenty of people do.

It's like the people that complain for the couple of days a year when something like Wimbledon overruns and a cookery programme or Eastenders that is on 300 odd days a year gets delayed by an hour so.
[quote][p][bold]Razor123[/bold] wrote: Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night.[/p][/quote]Brilliant! Loving your work. Hey pinky107, do you actually enjoy anything in life? Moan, moan, moan, moan - how dare, for one day a year, someone try to put on a special event? Let's just have every day as boring as the last. Businesses should welcome the opportunity to try and make some money of hopefully a bigger crowd. I don't even like cycling but plenty of people do. It's like the people that complain for the couple of days a year when something like Wimbledon overruns and a cookery programme or Eastenders that is on 300 odd days a year gets delayed by an hour so. PCBritainGoneMad!
  • Score: 11

2:16pm Fri 18 Jul 14

kingstonpaul says...

Razor123 wrote:
Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night.
Pity you let your response deteriorate into a bullying, smart-arsed, attack on this person's lifestyle and culinary choices.
[quote][p][bold]Razor123[/bold] wrote: Stuck in doors? Err... could always maybe go for a WALK? No restrictions on doing that! Put it into perspective, it's only for one day (and not the whole day) and have had plenty of notice. Also, don't worry, the roads will be open in time for you to drive to Londis to pick up your 4 pack of Stella and microwave rustler burger to settle down with in front of the box for the night.[/p][/quote]Pity you let your response deteriorate into a bullying, smart-arsed, attack on this person's lifestyle and culinary choices. kingstonpaul
  • Score: 0

8:38pm Fri 18 Jul 14

pinky107 says...

businesses should enjoy it eh , what when they lose money as stated in the article , get a grip .
i do enjoy life , i just dont think it right that it over rides everything else when people have a life to get on with or places to go but cant due to traffic restrictions and lack of public transport .
go for a walk , where ? the cycle route disrupts alot of areas with road blockages etc .
to the idiotic abusers of my post , try having a better arguement than just slating me off for what is a fair point to make about not everyone wanting this event disrupting peoples lives slap bang in the middle of the summer and in the kids summer holidays too . there are better things to do . and no i dont drink stella Razor123 i leave that to chavs like you as you seem to know the menu well .
i do enjoy things p.c especially reading articulate replies like yours , good to see you see both sides of an argument or is your opinion more important than anyone elses . as you say i moan but youre moaning about me , so do you acyually like anything in life ?
businesses should enjoy it eh , what when they lose money as stated in the article , get a grip . i do enjoy life , i just dont think it right that it over rides everything else when people have a life to get on with or places to go but cant due to traffic restrictions and lack of public transport . go for a walk , where ? the cycle route disrupts alot of areas with road blockages etc . to the idiotic abusers of my post , try having a better arguement than just slating me off for what is a fair point to make about not everyone wanting this event disrupting peoples lives slap bang in the middle of the summer and in the kids summer holidays too . there are better things to do . and no i dont drink stella Razor123 i leave that to chavs like you as you seem to know the menu well . i do enjoy things p.c especially reading articulate replies like yours , good to see you see both sides of an argument or is your opinion more important than anyone elses . as you say i moan but youre moaning about me , so do you acyually like anything in life ? pinky107
  • Score: -2

1:59am Sat 19 Jul 14

Razor123 says...

Sorry Pinky107 for underestimating your choice of beverage.. I'm a real ale man myself, St Austell's Tribute being a particular favourite.
Anyway... you say walk where? As I mentioned before there are no restrictions on the route for pedestrians.
Another thing to bear in mind; I did the event last year raising over £1,000 for a cancer charity. There will be thousands of people doing the same this year raising millions of pounds for charity. Can't you forgo a few hours inconvenience for that? Look at the London Marathon, a lot of residents on the route get out there and embrace it, cheering and giving out jelly babies. It would be nice if Surrey residents didn't take a NIMBY attitude and do likewise for this once a year fundraising event.
Sorry Pinky107 for underestimating your choice of beverage.. I'm a real ale man myself, St Austell's Tribute being a particular favourite. Anyway... you say walk where? As I mentioned before there are no restrictions on the route for pedestrians. Another thing to bear in mind; I did the event last year raising over £1,000 for a cancer charity. There will be thousands of people doing the same this year raising millions of pounds for charity. Can't you forgo a few hours inconvenience for that? Look at the London Marathon, a lot of residents on the route get out there and embrace it, cheering and giving out jelly babies. It would be nice if Surrey residents didn't take a NIMBY attitude and do likewise for this once a year fundraising event. Razor123
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Mon 21 Jul 14

CyclistsPayTaxToo says...

pinky107 wrote:
the organisers of this bore fest should take more consideration for those affected . people stuck in doors , businesses losing money , etc etc all because of this yearly rubbish . why cant they go round and round a royal park instead , there's enough of them ? why should people lose out on their lives because of this ? why no compensation to any one , just pure wrong .
Classic NIMBYism, thankfully this narrow minded opinion is the minority.

@pinky107 - a better argument?
Think about the thousands of riders, with individual reasons for pushing themselves to raise some money to support a cause they believe in. Are you more important that that?. No I didn't think so.

Here's an idea, why don't you do what the majority of Surrey will be doing and offer support for the 27000 people doing it (of which I am one). If you can't support the thousands of people raising money for charity then you are one very sad individual indeed.
[quote][p][bold]pinky107[/bold] wrote: the organisers of this bore fest should take more consideration for those affected . people stuck in doors , businesses losing money , etc etc all because of this yearly rubbish . why cant they go round and round a royal park instead , there's enough of them ? why should people lose out on their lives because of this ? why no compensation to any one , just pure wrong .[/p][/quote]Classic NIMBYism, thankfully this narrow minded opinion is the minority. @pinky107 - a better argument? Think about the thousands of riders, with individual reasons for pushing themselves to raise some money to support a cause they believe in. Are you more important that that?. No I didn't think so. Here's an idea, why don't you do what the majority of Surrey will be doing and offer support for the 27000 people doing it (of which I am one). If you can't support the thousands of people raising money for charity then you are one very sad individual indeed. CyclistsPayTaxToo
  • Score: 0
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree