Woman pictured in train attack CCTV claims she was acting in 'self-defence'

Police have identified three people in connection with train fight

Police have identified three people in connection with train fight

First published in News This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , deputy news editor

A woman shown in CCTV pictures following an alleged train assault has defended her and her family's actions as self-defence.

Yesterday (June 26), News Shopper appealed for witnesses to the incident, which happened on April 5 on the 9.56pm Charing Cross to Dartford service.

According to PC Jason Weston-Collinson, a couple on the train were subjected to a "violent and sustained attack" which meant both victims had to be hospitalised.

But Amy Kinsella called News Shopper today (June 27) after seeing images of herself, her brother and her father circulating online as people police wanted to trace.

She said she was out with family celebrating her mother's birthday on the night of the incident and boarded the train at Greenwich.

Ms Kinsella said she was sitting on the train when a "drunk" couple started "swearing abuse" at her and her mother, sparking an argument.

She said: "She got up and slapped me. Obviously that led to a fight. We basically just had each other's hair."

Ms Kinsella then said her brother, also pictured in the appeal, stepped in, thinking the man was going to attack his mother. This sparked a futrther fight between the two men.

She added: "My dad was trying to break it up."

Ms Kinsella said that afterwards the family moved further down the carriage and the couple got off at the next stop.

And the 20-year-old said she was shocked to see her picture spreading on the internet, months after the incident.

She said: "I didn't think it was a massive thing. Neither of them were severely beaten up. I was completely shaken when I found out about this.

"I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all."

British Transport Police say they have identified the three people two men and a woman in connection with an alleged assault on a couple on board a Charing Cross train to Dartford.

They say the three people will be interviewed in due course.

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference SSUB/B4 of 11/06/2014. Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:59pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Joelo says...

Honest Guv, It wasn't me! LOL
Honest Guv, It wasn't me! LOL Joelo
  • Score: 44

7:02pm Fri 27 Jun 14

lord righteous says...

Obviously this, obviously that, my dad tried to stop it.
And you know your dad then, coming from Dartford?
The camera never lies.
Obviously this, obviously that, my dad tried to stop it. And you know your dad then, coming from Dartford? The camera never lies. lord righteous
  • Score: 25

7:15pm Fri 27 Jun 14

The Fozziest of Bears says...

"I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all."

Is that why you reported the incident to the police at the first opportunity ?

No.....I didn't think so !

The boys in blue have the CCTV and I don't think they would be wasting everyone's time with ID appeals if it was self defence.
"I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all." Is that why you reported the incident to the police at the first opportunity ? No.....I didn't think so ! The boys in blue have the CCTV and I don't think they would be wasting everyone's time with ID appeals if it was self defence. The Fozziest of Bears
  • Score: 37

7:20pm Fri 27 Jun 14

oBLiVioN 70 says...

lord righteous wrote:
Obviously this, obviously that, my dad tried to stop it.
And you know your dad then, coming from Dartford?
The camera never lies.
Surely the cctv caught the actual assault as well?
[quote][p][bold]lord righteous[/bold] wrote: Obviously this, obviously that, my dad tried to stop it. And you know your dad then, coming from Dartford? The camera never lies.[/p][/quote]Surely the cctv caught the actual assault as well? oBLiVioN 70
  • Score: 28

7:23pm Fri 27 Jun 14

oBLiVioN 70 says...

The Fozziest of Bears wrote:
"I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all."

Is that why you reported the incident to the police at the first opportunity ?

No.....I didn't think so !

The boys in blue have the CCTV and I don't think they would be wasting everyone's time with ID appeals if it was self defence.
My thoughts entirely.
[quote][p][bold]The Fozziest of Bears[/bold] wrote: "I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all." Is that why you reported the incident to the police at the first opportunity ? No.....I didn't think so ! The boys in blue have the CCTV and I don't think they would be wasting everyone's time with ID appeals if it was self defence.[/p][/quote]My thoughts entirely. oBLiVioN 70
  • Score: 28

8:22pm Fri 27 Jun 14

reasonable75 says...

I'm a bit confused by some of Ms Kinsella's comments:-

"I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all."

But she earlier said: "She got up and slapped me. Obviously that led to a fight. We basically just had each other's hair."

So she has had a fight - fib?


Another comment - She said: "I didn't think it was a massive thing. Neither of them were severely beaten up. I was completely shaken when I found out about this."

Yet both victims were hospitalised, but perhaps putting someone in hospital doesn't count?

Well now she & her family (strange no CCTV of her mother) will have the opportunity to see which version the magistrate believes
I'm a bit confused by some of Ms Kinsella's comments:- "I've never had a fight in my whole life. I'm obviously really shaken up by it all." But she earlier said: "She got up and slapped me. Obviously that led to a fight. We basically just had each other's hair." So she has had a fight - fib? Another comment - She said: "I didn't think it was a massive thing. Neither of them were severely beaten up. I was completely shaken when I found out about this." Yet both victims were hospitalised, but perhaps putting someone in hospital doesn't count? Well now she & her family (strange no CCTV of her mother) will have the opportunity to see which version the magistrate believes reasonable75
  • Score: 37

11:04pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Daisymay73 says...

How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion.
This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.
How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion. This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read. Daisymay73
  • Score: -55

7:00am Sat 28 Jun 14

sarfflondonbird says...

Daisymay73 wrote:
How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion.
This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.
Can I ask a question Daisymay73. If cctv was apparent throughout this episode, then it must have clocked from start to finish the whole episode between the 'drunks' and the kinsellas....am I right? Only ms kinsella, her brother and father seem apparent, was mum there at all? Have we been fed scant information by n.s. as apparently is their usual practice? And are police going to release actual footage to n.s. so that we can all watch for ourselves and make our own judgements? I doubt it somehow.
[quote][p][bold]Daisymay73[/bold] wrote: How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion. This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.[/p][/quote]Can I ask a question Daisymay73. If cctv was apparent throughout this episode, then it must have clocked from start to finish the whole episode between the 'drunks' and the kinsellas....am I right? Only ms kinsella, her brother and father seem apparent, was mum there at all? Have we been fed scant information by n.s. as apparently is their usual practice? And are police going to release actual footage to n.s. so that we can all watch for ourselves and make our own judgements? I doubt it somehow. sarfflondonbird
  • Score: 41

9:39am Sat 28 Jun 14

shmorgas24 says...

Daisymay73 wrote:
How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion.
This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.
Some family you have there. I bet you must be so proud!
If your family are so innocent than why would the police release a statement asking for help on a serious assault? If it was so minor they would not use the news.
Your family are thugs and I hope the courts give good justice.
[quote][p][bold]Daisymay73[/bold] wrote: How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion. This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.[/p][/quote]Some family you have there. I bet you must be so proud! If your family are so innocent than why would the police release a statement asking for help on a serious assault? If it was so minor they would not use the news. Your family are thugs and I hope the courts give good justice. shmorgas24
  • Score: 38

11:20am Sat 28 Jun 14

Boris bighead says...

This behaviour should not be tolerated on public transport, they all deserve to go to jail, bunch of thugs, what a nasty family.
This behaviour should not be tolerated on public transport, they all deserve to go to jail, bunch of thugs, what a nasty family. Boris bighead
  • Score: 42

6:32pm Sat 28 Jun 14

franksutton says...

Daisymay73 wrote:
How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion.
This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.
But on the original article it states "an unprovoked attack by a trio of thugs". Not alledged attack, but attack! (although as mum is admitting involvement perhaps it should have been quartet of thugs?). It was bad enough 3 against 2, we now find there were 4 assailants

Also "what PC Jason Weston-Collinson called a “violent and sustained attack” which meant both victims had to be hospitalised." and "This was a nasty assault which left the victims badly hurt and, understandably, very upset." Again, not alledged attack - simply ASSAULT. Fact. This means the police already have enough CCTV evidence


So Ellie and the rest of her family are no doubt looking forward to there day in court when they will prove there innocence? And they will put the

As stated in other comments there are a number of inconsistancies in Amy Kinsella's story. "never had a fight in my whole life". Really?

Her brother "thought" the man was going to attack Mrs (?) Kinsella. Why did he think that? And presumably he decided he'd get the first blow just in case.

So Ellie doesn't think it was a massive thing. "Neither of them were severely beaten up." Suppose that depends on your point of view. Perhaps the Kinsellas think that putting 2 people in hospital is an every day occurance?




Daisymay73 said "And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read."

Well that's right, we can only go on whats reported in the press, and quotes from the police (who are presumably lying?). As your the expert perhaps you could tell us what did happen so we can make a better judgement
[quote][p][bold]Daisymay73[/bold] wrote: How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion. This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.[/p][/quote]But on the original article it states "an unprovoked attack by a trio of thugs". Not alledged attack, but attack! (although as mum is admitting involvement perhaps it should have been quartet of thugs?). It was bad enough 3 against 2, we now find there were 4 assailants Also "what PC Jason Weston-Collinson called a “violent and sustained attack” which meant both victims had to be hospitalised." and "This was a nasty assault which left the victims badly hurt and, understandably, very upset." Again, not alledged attack - simply ASSAULT. Fact. This means the police already have enough CCTV evidence So Ellie and the rest of her family are no doubt looking forward to there day in court when they will prove there innocence? And they will put the As stated in other comments there are a number of inconsistancies in Amy Kinsella's story. "never had a fight in my whole life". Really? Her brother "thought" the man was going to attack Mrs (?) Kinsella. Why did he think that? And presumably he decided he'd get the first blow just in case. So Ellie doesn't think it was a massive thing. "Neither of them were severely beaten up." Suppose that depends on your point of view. Perhaps the Kinsellas think that putting 2 people in hospital is an every day occurance? Daisymay73 said "And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read." Well that's right, we can only go on whats reported in the press, and quotes from the police (who are presumably lying?). As your the expert perhaps you could tell us what did happen so we can make a better judgement franksutton
  • Score: 39

8:37am Wed 2 Jul 14

concerned.erith says...

Daisymay73 get back in your trrailer
Daisymay73 get back in your trrailer concerned.erith
  • Score: 13

5:22pm Wed 2 Jul 14

reasonable75 says...

sarfflondonbird wrote:
Daisymay73 wrote:
How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion.
This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.
Can I ask a question Daisymay73. If cctv was apparent throughout this episode, then it must have clocked from start to finish the whole episode between the 'drunks' and the kinsellas....am I right? Only ms kinsella, her brother and father seem apparent, was mum there at all? Have we been fed scant information by n.s. as apparently is their usual practice? And are police going to release actual footage to n.s. so that we can all watch for ourselves and make our own judgements? I doubt it somehow.
No answer yet
[quote][p][bold]sarfflondonbird[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Daisymay73[/bold] wrote: How come the police thought this was so serious, that when the suspects "as you all like to call them" contacted the police ASAP "the suspects " was told not to come in straight away ????? Umm let's think about that!!! Well that will be because this for some reason as been blown out of proportion. This is my family how dare you judge innocent people when none of you know the facts you are all obviously small minded people. As for CCTV I will prove you all wrong when the police release the original footage of what actually happened!!!! And then I hope all you small minded people might think again before making comments on nothing you know about, except from what you have read.[/p][/quote]Can I ask a question Daisymay73. If cctv was apparent throughout this episode, then it must have clocked from start to finish the whole episode between the 'drunks' and the kinsellas....am I right? Only ms kinsella, her brother and father seem apparent, was mum there at all? Have we been fed scant information by n.s. as apparently is their usual practice? And are police going to release actual footage to n.s. so that we can all watch for ourselves and make our own judgements? I doubt it somehow.[/p][/quote]No answer yet reasonable75
  • Score: 5

9:55am Fri 4 Jul 14

jaded1 says...

Charged? Must be some evidence then.
Charged? Must be some evidence then. jaded1
  • Score: 4

12:02pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Gypo.Joe says...

jaded1 wrote:
Charged? Must be some evidence then.
NO WAY !!

They bin fitted up bruv innit like.
[quote][p][bold]jaded1[/bold] wrote: Charged? Must be some evidence then.[/p][/quote]NO WAY !! They bin fitted up bruv innit like. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 4

1:48pm Fri 4 Jul 14

Marty1979 says...

jaded1 wrote:
Charged? Must be some evidence then.
So much for them acting in self defence, the police wouldn't have charged them if there wasn't evidence

Wonder what Daisymay has to say about it?
[quote][p][bold]jaded1[/bold] wrote: Charged? Must be some evidence then.[/p][/quote]So much for them acting in self defence, the police wouldn't have charged them if there wasn't evidence Wonder what Daisymay has to say about it? Marty1979
  • Score: 4

1:48pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Wiff180 says...

Classy. What intelligent chavs they are...
Classy. What intelligent chavs they are... Wiff180
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree