An unemployed man from Walthamstow has been jailed along with three others for a knife attack which resulted in the victim having both his legs and arms amputated.

Jeremiah Reynolds, 26, of Ascham End, student Dominic Brookes, 19, from Croydon, and Trey Johnson, 18, from Worthing, were all sentenced to 15 years in jail at Hove Crown Court yesterday.

Patrick Brookes, 27, of Worthing was jailed for 16 years, with all four men being found guilty of grievous bodily harm with intent in August of last year and March 2014.

Ernest Moyo, who was 25 at the time, was stabbed three times during a row about a mobile phone following a party in Worthing on August 11 2012.

Mr Moyo, also known as Joe, was stabbed once in the leg and twice in the stomach and left for dead in the middle of the road before emergency services were alerted and took him to hospital, where he developed an infection.

Doctors were left with no choice but to amputate Mr Moyo's arms and legs after the infection spread to his vital organs.

Mr Moyo had little recollection of the near-fatal stabbing and he was initially told he had been in a car crash.

Mr Moyo now uses prosthetic limbs. 

Detective Constable Laura Sinden said: "I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice.

"Each of the men has received significant sentences for their involvement in what happened that night.

"The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life.

"This was a vicious attack that left Joe fighting for his life in the middle of the road. We have worked hard, and with the support of Joe's family, to bring these men to justice."

Mr Moyo's fiancée Amy thanked the doctors, nurses and police.

She said: "For two to three months every day both our families visited him hoping and praying, before finally he was taken off the life support.

"Joe and myself will have to deal with his injuries everyday for the rest of our lives as we make a future together, making our lives totally different from what they would have been.

"We would all like to thank all the nurses, doctors and surgeons at the hospitals for all their care and support that they gave to Joe.

"We would also like to thank Sussex Police and are relieved that four people have now been held accountable for their actions and will now face many years in prison."

Patrick Brookes was arrested on the night and charged the following day. Nine days later, Reynolds, Brookes and Johnson were arrested and charged with GBH with intent.