Gang sentenced to 61 years after "vicious" attack left man without his arms and legs (From This Is Local London)
Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Gang sentenced to 61 years after "vicious" attack left man without his arms and legs
A gang of four men have been sentenced for a total of 61 years after being found guilty of stabbing a man who lost his arms and legs due to his injuries in a “vicious” attack.
They include Dominic Brookes, 19, of Bramble Close, Shirley, who has been locked up for 15 years for his part in the attack in Worthing on Ernest Moyo.
Mr Moyo, known as Joe, was attacked as he left a party in Pavilion Road, Worthing, on August 11, 2012.
The then 25-year-old had been at the party and after an altercation with another group, he left.
Later he returned with friends and there was a fight with the four men.
He was stabbed three times, once in the thigh and twice in the stomach and was left in the road before emergency services found him and took him to hospital.
The wounds became infected, endangering his vital organs, and the decision was taken by doctors to amputate his arms and legs.
The four men, who appeared in Hove Crown Court, were all charged with GBH with intent.
Jobless Patrick Brookes, 27, from Worthing, Jeremiah Reynolds, 26, unemployed from Walthamstow, East London, were found guilty on March 11 after a three week retrial at Hove Crown Court.
Patrick Brookes was jailed for 16 years and Reynolds was sentenced to 15 years.
Dominic Brookes and 18-year-old Trey Johnson, from Worthing, were found guilty at Hove Crown Court in August.
Dominic Brookes was sentenced to 15 years and Johnson was also sentenced to 15 years today.
Mr Moyo’s fiancée Amy said: "For two to three months every day both our families visited him hoping and praying, before finally he was taken off the life support.
“Joe and myself will have to deal with his injuries everyday for the rest of our lives as we make a future together, making our lives totally different from what they would have been.
"We would all like to thank all the nurses, doctors and surgeons at the hospitals for all their care and support that they gave to Joe.
"We would also like to thank Sussex Police especially Detective Constables Tony Taylor and Laura Sinden and PC Vicky Bailey for all of their hard work and support.
"We are relieved that four people have now been held accountable for their actions and will now face many years in prison."
Patrick Brookes was arrested on the night of the attack, along with another man who was later released without charge.
Patrick Brookes was then charged with GBH with intent the following day.
Nine days later, Reynolds, Dominic Brookes and Johnson, who was 16 at the time, were arrested and charged also with GBH with intent on 22 August.
After the case Detective Constable Laura Sinden said: "I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice.
“Each of the men have received significant sentences for their involvement in what happened that night.
“The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life.
“The injuries Joe sustained from the stab wounds have meant he had to have his limbs amputated and therefore the consequences of that night will be with him for the rest of his life.
"This was a vicious attack that left Joe fighting for his life in the middle of the road. We have worked hard, and with the support of Joe's family, to bring these men to justice."
Comments are closed on this article.