Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Seven Epsom and Ewell parks approved for refurbishment works
9:50am Saturday 7th June 2014 in News
Table tennis, outdoor gyms and new children's play equipment will be coming to a group of parks in the borough, thanks to a successful funding application.
Epsom and Ewell Borough Council will install new play and sports equipment in seven parks that were granted Queen Elizabeth II Field status as part of the 2012 Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The parks recently became eligible for improvement funding through Fields in Trust, formerly the National Playing Fields Association.
In partnership with the London Marathon Charitable Trust, the council obtained funding to install new equipment and refurbish existing facilities, having agreed to match fund the projects.
Those projects will be:
• Alexandra Recreation Ground – New outdoor table tennis equipment
• Chessington Road Recreation Ground – New children’s play equipment
• Court Recreation Ground – Resurfacing of three tennis courts
• Gibraltar Recreation Ground – New outdoor Gym equipment
• Rosebery Park – Play equipment refurbishment
• Shadbolt Park– Additional outdoor gym equipment
• Warren Recreation Ground – New outdoor table tennis, gym and children’s play equipment
Leisure committee chairman councillor Jan Mason thanked the two trusts and added: "With the substantial reduction in council budgets, I am really pleased my fellow councillors approved the matching expenditure required in order to secure these grants.
"The benefits to health of sport and energetic play are absolutely proven, and the council is to provide the appropriate equipment for adults and children to enjoy as a contribution to a more active lifestyle.”
The improvement works will begin later this year.
Comments are closed on this article.