The mother of a young man who died after being punched twice on a train in an unprovoked attack says she has cried “every single night” since.

Warsame Warsame, 24, died on March 4 last year, two days after he was found unconscious lying on a train between Wimbledon and Raynes Park.

His attacker, Rhys Stacey Parchment, 25, from Wallington, was found guilty of manslaughter on Tuesday, following a two week trial at Blackfriars Crown Court.

This week, Basra Warsame, from Gloucester Road, Norbiton, told the Surrey Comet of her family’s grief. She said: “It’s affected all of us very badly.

“I cry and cry every single night.

“He was a nice, happy, humble, caring person who looked after others.

“People who knew Warsame will tell you he was a joker, singer, happy to be with people, even if he didn’t know you.”

Her son, who was living at the YMCA in Surbiton, suffered from numerous health issues, including a genetic condition that required three bouts of kidney dialysis every week at St Helier Hospital in Sutton.

He was also on anti-psychotic drugs, prescribed after he was bottled in a nightclub in 2007, which changed his behaviour.

But he had stopped taking the medication in the days leading up to his death – and had uncharacteristically attacked a YMCA worker the night before the fatal assault.

Mrs Warsame, who moved to England from Somalia in 1990 when her son was two years old, said: “He always tried to make me happy.

“When he was in hospital or getting dialysis, he would dance and make me laugh.

“But since 2007, when he was hit in the head, he became a different Warsame.

“He would get angry, although he was not a fighter.

“He would knock on my door at one in the morning saying ‘I’m scared, I’m scared’.

“All the time he’s running around saying he’s scared.”

This Is Local London:

Warsame Warsame, bottom right, pictured walking through the train moments before he encountered Rhys Stacey Parchment

Witnesses in the trial claimed to hear the former Raynes Park High School student say “wagwan” to Stacey Parchment, before the graphic designer got up from his seat and punched Mr Warsame twice in the head.

Stacey Parchment claimed he slapped then punched Mr Warsame after the latter tried to steal his phone.

Mrs Basra extended her condolences to the family of Stacey Parchment, who is now almost certainly facing a prison sentence.

She said: “I feel what every mother feels. I want my children to be OK. They didn’t kill Warsame.

“But whatever happens now, Warsame is dead.”

Stacey Parchment was granted bail to get his affairs in order, and will be sentenced on Thursday, May 29.

CCTV footage

CCTV footage of Stacey Parchment and Warsame Warsame played a vital role in the police investigation and trial.

The journey, which started with Stacey Parchment boarding a train at Surbiton and ended with Warsame Warsame being punched close to Wimbledon station, was captured by security cameras.

This Is Local London:

Rhys Stacey Parchment at Surbiton station on May 2 before he boarded the train

Only the camera inside the carriage was not working on the day.

British Transport Police Detective Superintendent Gary Richardson said: “The CCTV shown at the trial was about 0.1 per cent of the footage we went through.

"It was a time consuming investigation.”

This Is Local London:

Warsame Warsame at Raynes Park station

Police had to know whether Stacey Parchment’s punches killed Mr Warsame, or if something else happened before he was found dying.

D Supt Richardson said: “The snapshots taken from Waterloo and on the return journey really helped us.

“It proved as soon as Warsame was attacked, he was already in the process of dying, sadly.”

Both Stacey Parchment and Mr Warsame, who at first did not appear to be seriously injured, got off the train at Wimbledon station.

Stacey Parchment got on a bus to go and play football, while Mr Warsame boarded another train towards Waterloo.

After a short while, he slumped across two seats and lay there after the train reached Waterloo.

He was discovered on the return journey, as the train travelled between Wimbledon and Raynes Park.

This Is Local London:

Stacey Parchment leaving Wimbledon station after punching Mr Warsame

This Is Local London:

Warsame Warsame at Wimbledon station shortly after the attack

Stacey Parchment was easily traced through his Oyster card, which was registered in his name and paid for by his company Pow Wow Creative in London Bridge.

But one thing that remains unclear is why Stacey Parchment attacked Mr Warsame in the first place.

D Supt Richardson said: “The prosecution suggested it was because ‘wagwan’ is a black Jamaican greeting, and maybe he was offended by being put in a category, but he didn’t admit to that.

“What really annoyed Stacey Parchment we may never know.

“We had a lot of young, articulate boys who were on the train, and gave evidence with the support of their parents and we really appreciate their help.

“But they certainly would have been more of a target for a phone robber than Stacey Parchment – he was probably the last person you would approach.”

From graphic designer to convicted killer

Throughout his trial, Rhys Stacey Parchment cut a dignified and respectable figure.

Smartly dressed in a dark blue suit and thick-rimmed glasses, he always arrived at court on time, holding doors for solicitors and members of the public, and quietly thanking them when the gesture was reciprocated.

With no criminal record, he looked a far cry from an image taken when he was arrested which showed him with streaked blonde hair and black T-shirt.

The only indication that he had ever experienced violence lay in that fact he won three amateur boxing bouts as a teenager.

This Is Local London: Rhys Stacey Parchment has been found guilty of the manslaughter of Warsame Warsame

Rhys Stacey Parchment in custody

But his claim that he felt “scared” by Mr Warsame – who at just 5ft 4in, was almost a foot shorter than his assailant – did not convince the jury to acquit him.

And his insistence that Mr Warsame tried to steal his phone was not backed up by other witnesses who saw the punches.

Even after he was found guilty of killing Mr Warsame on Tuesday, Stacey Parchment maintained his air of respectability, politely declining the Surrey Comet’s request for comment with tears welling up in his eyes.

Unusually for a man convicted of manslaughter, he was bailed to appear at Blackfriars Crown Court on Thursday, May 29, for sentencing.

As he left the court with his family, he muttered a quiet “thank you” to reporters as he passed.