An appeal hearing is expected to be attended by dozens of residents tomorrow who are fighting plans to convert a historic pub into a mosque.
The future of the Waltham Oak pub in Lea Bridge Road will be discussed tomorrow as new owner, organisation Faizan-e-Islam, appeals the decision taken by Waltham Forest Council to refuse permission to change the use of the premises.
Despite the pub being shut for more than a year, the council’s planning committee refused the application due to predicted parking congestion and disturbance to residents in October 2013.
Now, the Planning Inspectorate has been called in after the decision was appealed and a hearing will be held tomorrow at Waltham Forest Town Hall at 10am.
People living nearby and ward councillors have requested to speak, along with a representative from The Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA).
Around 200 people attended the meeting when the original decision was made.
A pub was first built on the site in 1846 and named Little Wonder, after the horse which won the 1840 Derby at odds of 50-1.
It was later renamed the Chestnut Tree in 1863 as Lea Bridge Road was famous for lines of chestnut trees, planted in 1814 and removed in the 1930s.
The pub was bought by the Taylor Walker Brewery in 1899, rebuilt in its present form in 1925 and re-opened as the refurbished Waltham Oak in 2005.
People at the meeting are expected to call for the property to be put back on the market so it can continue to run as a public house.
A final decision may take several weeks.