'There is a bit of a back story' - Pressure grows on Barnet Labour group to reveal identity of tax-dodging councillor

Labour group leader Alison Moore continued her refusal to name the councillor at last night's meeting

Labour group leader Alison Moore continued her refusal to name the councillor at last night's meeting

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by

The identity of a Labour councillor taken to court over an unpaid £1,400 tax bill “will come out soon”, according to politicians.

Councillors of all parties gathered at Hendon Town Hall last night for the final full council meeting of the municipal year, hours after Labour admitted the unknown culprit was one of its members.

One Labour member, who did not want to be named, said the scandal was “the last thing the party needs so close to the election”, which takes place in May.

They added: “It is being investigated and it will come out. I understand there was some sort of dispute and there is a bit of a back story, but the sooner it comes out the better.”

The London-wide Labour group is understood to be handling the investigation.

Last night’s meeting was somewhat overshadowed by the political whodunit after Labour group leader Councillor Alison Moore stood up in front of the chamber to announce the councillor was a Labour member.

However, the opposition leader continued to refuse to name the individual, who was summonsed to court at some point between January 1, 2013, and January 31, 2014, having failed to pay a £1,400 council tax bill.

Councillor Moore continued to remain tight-lipped despite facing questions from this newspaper as the meeting ended.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:37am Wed 9 Apr 14

nlygo says...

silence from mrs angry... so far.
silence from mrs angry... so far. nlygo
  • Score: 0

10:40am Wed 9 Apr 14

marccohen53 says...

Another Labour one with their hand in the till - at least its not as bad as Dismore claiming over £30,000 in travel expenses and splitting £65,000 of "second home" allowances! How can we trust Labour??
Another Labour one with their hand in the till - at least its not as bad as Dismore claiming over £30,000 in travel expenses and splitting £65,000 of "second home" allowances! How can we trust Labour?? marccohen53
  • Score: 0

11:00am Wed 9 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

You beat me to it, NLYGO: here I am. I happen to know the details, and I am happy to confirm that this is not a case of 'tax dodging' but a disputed payment, on bona fide grounds, as no doubt will be revealed if necessary. On the other hand, NLYGO, there are five other late payers, who would appear to have no excuse other than not being bothered to pay up ... and it is believed they are Conservatives.

Oh dear.
You beat me to it, NLYGO: here I am. I happen to know the details, and I am happy to confirm that this is not a case of 'tax dodging' but a disputed payment, on bona fide grounds, as no doubt will be revealed if necessary. On the other hand, NLYGO, there are five other late payers, who would appear to have no excuse other than not being bothered to pay up ... and it is believed they are Conservatives. Oh dear. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

So Mrs Angry, you know who this person is. You say - and we have no reason to disbelieve your understanding of the matter - that this was a disputed payment, not a refusal to pay. Time will tell, of course. The fact remains, however, that this person's identity is unknown to voters who will be going to the ballot box shortly. If it was a Tory councillor, you would have splashed their name all across your blog by now. But because it is one of your mates, we have silence.

The most common grounds to challenge a rates bill are incorrect billing dates or an incorrect band assessment. If that is the case here, why not just say so? This cloak and dagger routine suggests that a spin operation is being prepared behind the scenes.
So Mrs Angry, you know who this person is. You say - and we have no reason to disbelieve your understanding of the matter - that this was a disputed payment, not a refusal to pay. Time will tell, of course. The fact remains, however, that this person's identity is unknown to voters who will be going to the ballot box shortly. If it was a Tory councillor, you would have splashed their name all across your blog by now. But because it is one of your mates, we have silence. The most common grounds to challenge a rates bill are incorrect billing dates or an incorrect band assessment. If that is the case here, why not just say so? This cloak and dagger routine suggests that a spin operation is being prepared behind the scenes. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: 3

1:39pm Wed 9 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

"disputed payment" sounds like a weak excuse to me. People are not summonsed to court over "disputed payments", but rather for not paying at all!

I think this is dreadful behaviour from a Labour councillor who claims to reprsent the people of Barnet.

Mrs Angry, you are often a champion of openness and transparency in council matters, and have publicly held councillors to account for much smaller misdemeanours than this in the past. I realise you are a Labour party activist but please put aside the double-standards and tell us who it is!

The public have a right to know!
"disputed payment" sounds like a weak excuse to me. People are not summonsed to court over "disputed payments", but rather for not paying at all! I think this is dreadful behaviour from a Labour councillor who claims to reprsent the people of Barnet. Mrs Angry, you are often a champion of openness and transparency in council matters, and have publicly held councillors to account for much smaller misdemeanours than this in the past. I realise you are a Labour party activist but please put aside the double-standards and tell us who it is! The public have a right to know! AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: 1

1:59pm Wed 9 Apr 14

aworrall says...

This is disgraceful behavior from Labour - the public do have a right to know and the continued lack of clarity on the matter creates more distrust of Labour.
This is disgraceful behavior from Labour - the public do have a right to know and the continued lack of clarity on the matter creates more distrust of Labour. aworrall
  • Score: 1

2:38pm Wed 9 Apr 14

marccohen53 says...

How can you trust Labour after this? We are back here again with devious and deceitful behaviour. Name and shame that councillor now!
How can you trust Labour after this? We are back here again with devious and deceitful behaviour. Name and shame that councillor now! marccohen53
  • Score: -1

5:32pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Mr. Datchery says...

Thought for the day for Barnet Tories

"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Gospel according to St. Matthew, Chapter 7, verse 5, King James Version.
I'm not exactly religious but the Bible often wants some beating.
Thought for the day for Barnet Tories "Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." Gospel according to St. Matthew, Chapter 7, verse 5, King James Version. I'm not exactly religious but the Bible often wants some beating. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 2

5:46pm Wed 9 Apr 14

nlygo says...

that must from the part of the Bible I dont read... ;)
that must from the part of the Bible I dont read... ;) nlygo
  • Score: -1

6:22pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

@marccohen53 I think it is hard for the public to trust any politicians. This isn't just a problem afflicting Labour. You only have to look at the Maria Miller saga to realise that none of them get it.

The real problem is that the political classes think that we, the public, are simply too stupid to differentiate between inappropriate conduct and procedural error/oversight.

As AverageBarnetResiden
t says above, it is not usual for a summons to be issued if there is a genuine dispute to be resolved. Labour's silence means that we have to assume the worst. The longer they leave it, the less likely we will believe any explanation when the councillor's identity is eventually revealed.
@marccohen53 I think it is hard for the public to trust any politicians. This isn't just a problem afflicting Labour. You only have to look at the Maria Miller saga to realise that none of them get it. The real problem is that the political classes think that we, the public, are simply too stupid to differentiate between inappropriate conduct and procedural error/oversight. As AverageBarnetResiden t says above, it is not usual for a summons to be issued if there is a genuine dispute to be resolved. Labour's silence means that we have to assume the worst. The longer they leave it, the less likely we will believe any explanation when the councillor's identity is eventually revealed. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: 1

8:09pm Wed 9 Apr 14

marccohen53 says...

Mr Datchery ..... oh dear desperate measures
Mr Datchery ..... oh dear desperate measures marccohen53
  • Score: -1

9:06pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

DCMD: in my view there should be full transparency, and I am sure that all will be revealed when possible. You are wrong to assume I would immediately out someone in the same circumstances just because they were Tory: the same restrictions apply to any story like this and clearly one has to be sure of the facts before publishing anything ...
DCMD: in my view there should be full transparency, and I am sure that all will be revealed when possible. You are wrong to assume I would immediately out someone in the same circumstances just because they were Tory: the same restrictions apply to any story like this and clearly one has to be sure of the facts before publishing anything ... Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 1

2:50am Thu 10 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

Mrs Angry

Well let’s examine the facts. Either the councillor failed to pay a sum that was lawfully due or the council made an error in its tax demand.

If the mistake was made by the council, then it would be reasonable for the councillor in question to shout it from the roof tops proving his/her innocence. The continuing secrecy only raises the suspicion that the councillor was at fault. Perhaps it was a genuine error or misunderstanding, but those who are paid from the public purse must at all times ensure that they not only abide by the rules but are seen to be abiding by the rules.

If the councillor was experiencing financial difficulties, the council has established procedures to deal with this without resorting to Court action.

You cannot allow a situation where a councillor is receiving a monthly allowance from taxpayers on the one hand and not paying his/her dues on the other.
Mrs Angry Well let’s examine the facts. Either the councillor failed to pay a sum that was lawfully due or the council made an error in its tax demand. If the mistake was made by the council, then it would be reasonable for the councillor in question to shout it from the roof tops proving his/her innocence. The continuing secrecy only raises the suspicion that the councillor was at fault. Perhaps it was a genuine error or misunderstanding, but those who are paid from the public purse must at all times ensure that they not only abide by the rules but are seen to be abiding by the rules. If the councillor was experiencing financial difficulties, the council has established procedures to deal with this without resorting to Court action. You cannot allow a situation where a councillor is receiving a monthly allowance from taxpayers on the one hand and not paying his/her dues on the other. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: 0

9:15am Thu 10 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

I agree with you, DCMD: unfortunately councillors have to do as they are told by the leadership of their parties, and say what they are allowed to say, which is why I would not be terribly well suited to the post myself. Wait and see what happens. In the meanwhile, are you interested in the five Tories who allegedly were in arrears, for no apparent reason other not paying on time, but have not been pursued in this way, for some reason?
I agree with you, DCMD: unfortunately councillors have to do as they are told by the leadership of their parties, and say what they are allowed to say, which is why I would not be terribly well suited to the post myself. Wait and see what happens. In the meanwhile, are you interested in the five Tories who allegedly were in arrears, for no apparent reason other not paying on time, but have not been pursued in this way, for some reason? Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 3

12:08pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

Yes Mrs Angry, I would be interested to know the details of any Conservative councillor who has similarly failed to pay their council tax on time without good cause.

The maximum council tax charge for 2013/14 was £2,832.40 for a Band H property. The minimum allowance a councillor receives is £10,597 (in a one councillor household). There can be no excuse for non-payment by any councillor.

You seem to be suggesting that Alison Moore is preventing the name of the councillor from being released. We supposedly live in a country where freedom of speech is cherished. I am unaware of any rule which prevents a councillor from speaking the truth about his/her personal circumstances.

Assuming that the councillor in question had a legitimate reason for non-payment, there is no reason to hide the details. If Alison Moore is preventing the person from speaking, then she is guilty of a cover up – probably far worse than the original matter at hand. It is inevitable that the public will suspect something dodgy has taken place.
Yes Mrs Angry, I would be interested to know the details of any Conservative councillor who has similarly failed to pay their council tax on time without good cause. The maximum council tax charge for 2013/14 was £2,832.40 for a Band H property. The minimum allowance a councillor receives is £10,597 (in a one councillor household). There can be no excuse for non-payment by any councillor. You seem to be suggesting that Alison Moore is preventing the name of the councillor from being released. We supposedly live in a country where freedom of speech is cherished. I am unaware of any rule which prevents a councillor from speaking the truth about his/her personal circumstances. Assuming that the councillor in question had a legitimate reason for non-payment, there is no reason to hide the details. If Alison Moore is preventing the person from speaking, then she is guilty of a cover up – probably far worse than the original matter at hand. It is inevitable that the public will suspect something dodgy has taken place. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -2

12:09pm Thu 10 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

" in my view there should be full transparency "

Tell us who it is then, Mrs Angry!

All this ducking and diving, trying to avoid the question, is showing you up as a hypocrite. What happened to the champion of transparency?

"armchair auditor" = Labour party political agitator. Nothing more.
" in my view there should be full transparency " Tell us who it is then, Mrs Angry! All this ducking and diving, trying to avoid the question, is showing you up as a hypocrite. What happened to the champion of transparency? "armchair auditor" = Labour party political agitator. Nothing more. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -3

12:33pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

p.s. @ Mrs Angry

The councillor in question might be under instructions from Alison Moore not to speak, but you are not a councillor and not beholden to Labour Group rules.
p.s. @ Mrs Angry The councillor in question might be under instructions from Alison Moore not to speak, but you are not a councillor and not beholden to Labour Group rules. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -2

11:13am Fri 11 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

I am not beholden to group rules, that is true. But there are other legal restrictions, and then, DCMD there is this consideration ...

I always try to be honest, and to follow my conscience as to what is the right thing to do in any circumstance. If you are given information confidentially, and promise to respect that confidence, do you betray that promise? Perhaps you would: perhaps I should. But I'd rather be accused of being a hypocrite - and do the right thing.

What I can tell you is that this issue is being promoted for political purposes, and the person involved is stuck in an invidious position, unable to respond until such a time as others agree.
I am not beholden to group rules, that is true. But there are other legal restrictions, and then, DCMD there is this consideration ... I always try to be honest, and to follow my conscience as to what is the right thing to do in any circumstance. If you are given information confidentially, and promise to respect that confidence, do you betray that promise? Perhaps you would: perhaps I should. But I'd rather be accused of being a hypocrite - and do the right thing. What I can tell you is that this issue is being promoted for political purposes, and the person involved is stuck in an invidious position, unable to respond until such a time as others agree. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 3

12:06pm Fri 11 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

What's that Mrs Angry? An issue being promoted for political purposes!? Heaven forbid!

You would never do a thing like that, would you?

There's a reason why you are not a politician methinks. - This level of sheer hypocrisy would be quickly exposed if you couldn't hide behind your computer screen.
What's that Mrs Angry? An issue being promoted for political purposes!? Heaven forbid! You would never do a thing like that, would you? There's a reason why you are not a politician methinks. - This level of sheer hypocrisy would be quickly exposed if you couldn't hide behind your computer screen. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -6

5:20pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Average Barnet Councillor: I have never been accused of such becoming modesty before, how quaint ... on the other hand: who are you? Do tell.
Average Barnet Councillor: I have never been accused of such becoming modesty before, how quaint ... on the other hand: who are you? Do tell. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 3

5:21pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Oh, and look what we have here: councillor was actually in tax credit, and owed nothing ...

http://www.hendon-to
day.co.uk/news.cfm?i
d=12743&headline=Cou
ncillor%20summoned%2
0was%20actually%20in
%20tax%20credit
Oh, and look what we have here: councillor was actually in tax credit, and owed nothing ... http://www.hendon-to day.co.uk/news.cfm?i d=12743&headline=Cou ncillor%20summoned%2 0was%20actually%20in %20tax%20credit Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 4

7:43am Sun 13 Apr 14

Mr. Datchery says...

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog wrote:
Oh, and look what we have here: councillor was actually in tax credit, and owed nothing ...

http://www.hendon-to

day.co.uk/news.cfm?i

d=12743&headline
=Cou
ncillor%20summoned%2

0was%20actually%20in

%20tax%20credit
Well the Tory claque seem to have gone quiet all of a sudden.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog[/bold] wrote: Oh, and look what we have here: councillor was actually in tax credit, and owed nothing ... http://www.hendon-to day.co.uk/news.cfm?i d=12743&headline =Cou ncillor%20summoned%2 0was%20actually%20in %20tax%20credit[/p][/quote]Well the Tory claque seem to have gone quiet all of a sudden. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 1

4:06pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

No, Mrs Angry, you should not betray something told to you in confidence.

But - and this is important - you are not a Labour councillor. Perhaps you are standing for election, I don't know? In the Conservative Party, prospective candidates were invited to join Group meetings. Don't know if that is still the case and don't know if Labour have similar rules. But if you are not a candidate, then why was Alison Moore confiding in you about something you suggest is a political matter? And why did you agree to receive the information with such conditions attached? It compromises your claim to be fair and impartial. Oh no wait, you have never claimed to be fair or impartial. Silly me.

But you do have enough intelligence to realise that by refusing to reveal the full circumstances about this dispute, Labour are effectively forcing people to speculate as to the domestic arrangements of the councillor involved, and this is exacerbated by the, frankly, astonishing decision to refer the matter to the Police. If, as Labour claim, the council have admitted to making a mistake, then why haven’t they withdrawn the Police complaint? Incompetence, or is there more to this than anyone is letting on? If you want the story to go away, just reveal all the details. After all, there is nothing to hide. Is there?
No, Mrs Angry, you should not betray something told to you in confidence. But - and this is important - you are not a Labour councillor. Perhaps you are standing for election, I don't know? In the Conservative Party, prospective candidates were invited to join Group meetings. Don't know if that is still the case and don't know if Labour have similar rules. But if you are not a candidate, then why was Alison Moore confiding in you about something you suggest is a political matter? And why did you agree to receive the information with such conditions attached? It compromises your claim to be fair and impartial. Oh no wait, you have never claimed to be fair or impartial. Silly me. But you do have enough intelligence to realise that by refusing to reveal the full circumstances about this dispute, Labour are effectively forcing people to speculate as to the domestic arrangements of the councillor involved, and this is exacerbated by the, frankly, astonishing decision to refer the matter to the Police. If, as Labour claim, the council have admitted to making a mistake, then why haven’t they withdrawn the Police complaint? Incompetence, or is there more to this than anyone is letting on? If you want the story to go away, just reveal all the details. After all, there is nothing to hide. Is there? Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: 0

4:40pm Sun 13 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

Are you trying to suggest that I am a Barnet councillor, Mrs Angry? Not everyone who disagrees with your ramblings is a politician you know. In fact, I am just as keen to see Tory councillors exposed if it is they who have been involved in wrongdoing. But in this case it is one of your lot, and casting unfounded aspersions about me is not going to change that. If your friend is so innocent, just tell us who he/she is!

Your hypocrisy in this matter is staggering, and your attempts to deflect the attention onto me/the Tories/anyone are transparent and embarrassing.
Are you trying to suggest that I am a Barnet councillor, Mrs Angry? Not everyone who disagrees with your ramblings is a politician you know. In fact, I am just as keen to see Tory councillors exposed if it is they who have been involved in wrongdoing. But in this case it is one of your lot, and casting unfounded aspersions about me is not going to change that. If your friend is so innocent, just tell us who he/she is! Your hypocrisy in this matter is staggering, and your attempts to deflect the attention onto me/the Tories/anyone are transparent and embarrassing. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -4

6:51pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Mike NW7 says...

So..."Average Barnet Resident" accuses Mrs. Angry of Hypocrisy?

Where do I begin?

Theft of our council jobs, destruction of local high street businesses due to a bonkers parking policy, inflated expense allowances, almost no social housing bar 3 houses at the last minute, councillors free parking tickets, junkets, removal of community facilities, attempted library closures, insults to residents, a housing cabinet member brazenly stating he wants only the rich to move here, shafting of Barnet FC...

A pretty miserable legacy from the outgoing council.

I look forward to hearing how "Average Barnet Resident" will defend the council on all of that nonsense the Conservative group have given the long-suffering Council Tax and Ratepayers of Barnet.
So..."Average Barnet Resident" accuses Mrs. Angry of Hypocrisy? Where do I begin? Theft of our council jobs, destruction of local high street businesses due to a bonkers parking policy, inflated expense allowances, almost no social housing bar 3 houses at the last minute, councillors free parking tickets, junkets, removal of community facilities, attempted library closures, insults to residents, a housing cabinet member brazenly stating he wants only the rich to move here, shafting of Barnet FC... A pretty miserable legacy from the outgoing council. I look forward to hearing how "Average Barnet Resident" will defend the council on all of that nonsense the Conservative group have given the long-suffering Council Tax and Ratepayers of Barnet. Mike NW7
  • Score: 6

8:15pm Sun 13 Apr 14

Barnet Parker says...

Hi Mike,
You got off to a good start but I think you could add the closure of the Church Farmhouse Museum and leaving it to rot after auctioning of contents that were donated by resident, and a failure to censure a Councillor given a criminal conviction for violence against a resident.

I'm sure others could add more.
Hi Mike, You got off to a good start but I think you could add the closure of the Church Farmhouse Museum and leaving it to rot after auctioning of contents that were donated by resident, and a failure to censure a Councillor given a criminal conviction for violence against a resident. I'm sure others could add more. Barnet Parker
  • Score: 5

10:05am Mon 14 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

Mike,

Has something given you the impression that I am here to defend the council’s policies? How are all the things you listed relevant to this news story? You’re just trying to deflect the attention away from Labour, like Mrs Angry.

In any case, I think you’re confusing the issues here. What you are unhappy about is political policies, which is of course your right. As with all policies, some will like them and some won’t. You are always welcome to blog away to your heart’s content, or dress up in a costume and shout at the Mayor of London. These are legitimate (if utterly pointless) expressions of disapproval.

What I am upset about is nothing to do with political policies. I am angry that a council politician has had to be taken to court over non-payment of council tax, regardless of that politician’s party or political stance.

I’m sorry if I’ve offended your friend, but I do find it hypocritical that she espouses transparency on the one hand and keeps dirty little secrets for the Labour party on the other. This is why people lose faith in politics.
Mike, Has something given you the impression that I am here to defend the council’s policies? How are all the things you listed relevant to this news story? You’re just trying to deflect the attention away from Labour, like Mrs Angry. In any case, I think you’re confusing the issues here. What you are unhappy about is political policies, which is of course your right. As with all policies, some will like them and some won’t. You are always welcome to blog away to your heart’s content, or dress up in a costume and shout at the Mayor of London. These are legitimate (if utterly pointless) expressions of disapproval. What I am upset about is nothing to do with political policies. I am angry that a council politician has had to be taken to court over non-payment of council tax, regardless of that politician’s party or political stance. I’m sorry if I’ve offended your friend, but I do find it hypocritical that she espouses transparency on the one hand and keeps dirty little secrets for the Labour party on the other. This is why people lose faith in politics. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -3

12:31pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Average Barnet Tory: 'dirty little secrets'? I look forward to you welcoming the exposure of your own party's shameful secrets, and to you apologising when you are faced with the (from your point of view) disappointing truth, which is that there has been no tax dodging and only a **** up by the council.

I'm not keeping secrets: I am keeping a confidence, until such a time as the victim in all this is able to publish a statement, which hopefully will be very soon.

And now I look forward to you demanding to know how many Tory councillors were late in paying their taxes, rather then being charged the wrong amount.

But I guess that doesn't fit your agenda, does it?

Now who's the hypocrite?
Average Barnet Tory: 'dirty little secrets'? I look forward to you welcoming the exposure of your own party's shameful secrets, and to you apologising when you are faced with the (from your point of view) disappointing truth, which is that there has been no tax dodging and only a **** up by the council. I'm not keeping secrets: I am keeping a confidence, until such a time as the victim in all this is able to publish a statement, which hopefully will be very soon. And now I look forward to you demanding to know how many Tory councillors were late in paying their taxes, rather then being charged the wrong amount. But I guess that doesn't fit your agenda, does it? Now who's the hypocrite? Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 2

3:29pm Mon 14 Apr 14

AverageBarnetResident says...

Mrs Angry

You’re wrong on a number of counts here, I’m afraid:

Firstly, in thinking that you can assume my political persuasion.

Secondly, in trying to manufacture a distinction between wilfully withholding the truth and “keeping a confidence”. – You’re fooling nobody.

Thirdly, in presuming that I am not interested in the Tory councillors who (you claim) are in council tax arrears. To the contrary, I do demand that you tell us who they are! Or maybe you are “keeping a confidence” for the Tories too...?

By the way, I do think it’s a shame that that these boards are hijacked by a small group of socialist fanatics who try to bully anyone who disagrees with them. Unfortunately for you, I will not be bullied or cowed by you and your friends.
Mrs Angry You’re wrong on a number of counts here, I’m afraid: Firstly, in thinking that you can assume my political persuasion. Secondly, in trying to manufacture a distinction between wilfully withholding the truth and “keeping a confidence”. – You’re fooling nobody. Thirdly, in presuming that I am not interested in the Tory councillors who (you claim) are in council tax arrears. To the contrary, I do demand that you tell us who they are! Or maybe you are “keeping a confidence” for the Tories too...? By the way, I do think it’s a shame that that these boards are hijacked by a small group of socialist fanatics who try to bully anyone who disagrees with them. Unfortunately for you, I will not be bullied or cowed by you and your friends. AverageBarnetResident
  • Score: -4

5:02pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Erm, Average Barnet Tory Councillor, if anyone is being cyber bullied, it's me. Wilfully withholding? No. And my conscience is absolutely clear. Is yours?

In fact, you've blown my cover.

Yes, I am really a double agent, working for the Tories.

Yes, I know who the secret late payers are, and this is all an elaborate distraction exercise to cover their tracks ... **** you for outing me.
Erm, Average Barnet Tory Councillor, if anyone is being cyber bullied, it's me. Wilfully withholding? No. And my conscience is absolutely clear. Is yours? In fact, you've blown my cover. Yes, I am really a double agent, working for the Tories. Yes, I know who the secret late payers are, and this is all an elaborate distraction exercise to cover their tracks ... **** you for outing me. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 0

5:04pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Oh, just noticed that the paper censors the word ****, even in **** up. Rather unfortunate, when writing about Tory councillors, to have one's vocabulary limited in this way.
Oh, just noticed that the paper censors the word ****, even in **** up. Rather unfortunate, when writing about Tory councillors, to have one's vocabulary limited in this way. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 0

5:05pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Oh dear, and now it looks like I said a rude word, when I was writing d**n.

I'll stop now.
Oh dear, and now it looks like I said a rude word, when I was writing d**n. I'll stop now. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 0

5:17pm Mon 14 Apr 14

Don't Call Me Dave says...

@Mrs Angry

This web site allows you to type cockup as one word. It doesn't like **** up or ****-up.

But the nature of your response proves the point that AverageBarnetResiden
t makes. You try to divert attention from the matter at hand and qualify every comment with "well what about the Tories?"

Well what about them? If you have evidence that Tory councillors have also failed to pay their council tax on time, then provide us with the details.

Put up or shut up.
@Mrs Angry This web site allows you to type cockup as one word. It doesn't like **** up or ****-up. But the nature of your response proves the point that AverageBarnetResiden t makes. You try to divert attention from the matter at hand and qualify every comment with "well what about the Tories?" Well what about them? If you have evidence that Tory councillors have also failed to pay their council tax on time, then provide us with the details. Put up or shut up. Don't Call Me Dave
  • Score: -2

11:50pm Mon 14 Apr 14

marccohen53 says...

Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this?
Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this? marccohen53
  • Score: -2

1:06pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Mike NW7 says...

marccohen53 wrote:
Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this?
Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Mr. Cohen asks about trust and Labour. I dare say Mr Cohen does not nor would ever contemplate voting Labour and so would never trust them.

However as the saying goes, "those who live in Glass Houses should not throw stones"

Let's talk about trust for a moment.

Can we trust the Conservatives on our children's education when they place more priority on a council tax cut and councillor parking permits than they do for Mapledown School, a school which provides much needed special needs provision but is situated in a Labour ward?

Can we trust the Conservatives when their own cabinet member for housing brazenly states in a full council meeting that he wants only the rich to move to Barnet?

Can we trust the Conservatives when they completely shut up about Green Belt issues in their Mill Hill election leaflet, despite there being one of the biggest proposals to destroy Mill Hill's Green Belt being considered by the Council as I write?

Can we trust the Conservatives to run Barnet for the benefit of the Rich, the Powerful and the private sector?

Guess what, only the last point warrants a Yes.

We can trust the Conservatives and their online minions will try and shout about Andrew Dismore's expenses in the last parliament, That's the only mud they can sling at Dismore and they know it. What they won't tell you is that many people miss Dismore as their constituency MP as he worked hard and represented all of the constituency in a fair minded way.

Roll on the local elections. It's the one opportunity people have now to elect the council, and vote the discredited, dishonest and yes, untrustworthy Tories OUT.
[quote][p][bold]marccohen53[/bold] wrote: Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this?[/p][/quote]Dear, oh dear, oh dear. Mr. Cohen asks about trust and Labour. I dare say Mr Cohen does not nor would ever contemplate voting Labour and so would never trust them. However as the saying goes, "those who live in Glass Houses should not throw stones" Let's talk about trust for a moment. Can we trust the Conservatives on our children's education when they place more priority on a council tax cut and councillor parking permits than they do for Mapledown School, a school which provides much needed special needs provision but is situated in a Labour ward? Can we trust the Conservatives when their own cabinet member for housing brazenly states in a full council meeting that he wants only the rich to move to Barnet? Can we trust the Conservatives when they completely shut up about Green Belt issues in their Mill Hill election leaflet, despite there being one of the biggest proposals to destroy Mill Hill's Green Belt being considered by the Council as I write? Can we trust the Conservatives to run Barnet for the benefit of the Rich, the Powerful and the private sector? Guess what, only the last point warrants a Yes. We can trust the Conservatives and their online minions will try and shout about Andrew Dismore's expenses in the last parliament, That's the only mud they can sling at Dismore and they know it. What they won't tell you is that many people miss Dismore as their constituency MP as he worked hard and represented all of the constituency in a fair minded way. Roll on the local elections. It's the one opportunity people have now to elect the council, and vote the discredited, dishonest and yes, untrustworthy Tories OUT. Mike NW7
  • Score: 1

3:13pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Mr. Datchery says...

marccohen53 wrote:
Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this?
Mr (unless marc is short for Marcia) Cohen had better watch his step as the article in 'Hendon Today' suggests that his Council Tax bill was actually in credit and hence phrases like 'hand in the till' could be actionable. As for trusting Labour politicians ,it's simple, we trust them because they aren't Tories. Latest polls indicate a Labour majority of 44 in 2015.
[quote][p][bold]marccohen53[/bold] wrote: Bottom line, how can the taxpayer trust Labour after a councillor with their hand in the till and Dismore who has led the way with the expenses scandall? How can the taxpayer trust Labour politicians after this?[/p][/quote]Mr (unless marc is short for Marcia) Cohen had better watch his step as the article in 'Hendon Today' suggests that his Council Tax bill was actually in credit and hence phrases like 'hand in the till' could be actionable. As for trusting Labour politicians ,it's simple, we trust them because they aren't Tories. Latest polls indicate a Labour majority of 44 in 2015. Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 1

5:14pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Mr. Datchery says...

Well the Tory claque will have to find another straw to clutch at.
http://www.hendon-to
day.co.uk/news.cfm?i
d=12818&headline=%27
Tax%20arrears%27%20c
ouncillor%20demands%
20apology%20after%20
police%20called%20in
%20over%20budget%20v
ote

Of course I'm sure they will now apologise....
Well the Tory claque will have to find another straw to clutch at. http://www.hendon-to day.co.uk/news.cfm?i d=12818&headline=%27 Tax%20arrears%27%20c ouncillor%20demands% 20apology%20after%20 police%20called%20in %20over%20budget%20v ote Of course I'm sure they will now apologise.... Mr. Datchery
  • Score: 0

6:00pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog says...

Now that a statement has been made proving that Cllr Mc Guirk was falsely accused of 'tax dodging' and in fact was the victim of council incompetence, and a curious decision to pursue her even when Capita had already admitted their mistake ... well, let us hear the apologies owed from all the Tory apologists who have left comments here.
Now that a statement has been made proving that Cllr Mc Guirk was falsely accused of 'tax dodging' and in fact was the victim of council incompetence, and a curious decision to pursue her even when Capita had already admitted their mistake ... well, let us hear the apologies owed from all the Tory apologists who have left comments here. Mrs Angry, Broken Barnet blog
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree