A teachers’ strike is causing major disruption at schools today - at least 10 have closed or partially closed in Epsom and Ewell alone.
Complete and partial closures hit three schools in Leatherhead, two schools in Banstead and a school in Worcester Park, according to Surrey County Council’s website - which may not be comprehensive.
The National Union of Teachers (NUT), the largest teachers’ union, is staging a one-day national strike over performance related pay, pensions and excessive workloads.
Ted Truscoe, NUT assistant secretary for Surrey and former headteacher at a Leatherhead school, said there had been 89 reported closures and partial closures across Surrey.
Mr Truscoe said: "I think that number will probably go up as information filters in. I’m quite delighted.
"We are very encouraged by the result because this is the third of a series of strikes and you can get a certain amount of fatigue.
"It’s a difficult option because it means teachers are having to give up another day's pay."
A march and rally are being staged in Guildford today along with demonstrations in London and Brighton.
Christine Blower, general secretary of the NUT, has spoken out against pension changes, performance related pay and "intolerable" workloads.
Ms Blower said: "Teachers deeply regret the disruption caused by this strike action to parents and teachers.
"The Government’s refusal, however, to engage to resolve the dispute means that we have no alternative other than to demonstrate the seriousness of our concerns."
A Department for Education spokesman said: "Parents will struggle to understand why the NUT is pressing ahead with strikes over the Government's measures to let heads pay good teachers more."
• Auriol Junior School, Epsom
• Blenheim High School, Epsom
• Epsom And Ewell High School, Epsom
• Glyn School, Epsom
• Howard Of Effingham School, Leatherhead
• Meadow Primary School, Epsom
• Riverview C of E Primary School And Nursery, Epsom
• Rosebery School, Epsom
• Shawley Community Primary School, Epsom
• St Anne's Catholic Primary School, Banstead
• St Clement's Catholic Primary School, Ewell
• St Peter's Catholic Primary School, Leatherhead
• The Beacon School, Banstead
• Therfield School, Leatherhead
• The Vale Primary School, Epsom
• Linden Bridge School, Worcester Park
• West Ewell Infant School, Epsom
For more information visit Surrey County Council's website.
Are you a teacher? Please leave a comment below or email email@example.com.