Proposals to turn Worcester Park Tavern into Islamic Community Centre withdrawn

The old Worcester Park Tavern

The old Worcester Park Tavern

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

A Muslim community hoping to open an Islamic centre in an abandoned Worcester Park pub has decided to withdraw its proposals following a public consultation.

The Shia Ismaili community had intended to open a centre at the Worcester Park Tavern in Park Terrace for exercise classes, seniors day clubs and quiet meditation.

But plans for this were withdrawn after a consultation took place inside the building last year and the community group decided that an alternative site should be sought.

A spokesman from the group said: “The Ismaili community would like to thank all the respondents for their feedback and participation in the consultation process.

“It remains the hope of members of the Ismaili community who are part of the wider community, that this building will soon be put to good use.”

A petition to stop the tavern from being used as an Ismaili centre gathered more than 1,700 signatures.

Kingston councillor David Fraser (Old Malden ward) said: “It is good news.

"In fairness to the group I will give them credit. They did listen to the people and if the people were more in favour they would have carried on. I have a high regard for them now.

“But it would have been a traffic nightmare.”

The group currently have centres in Kensington, East Finchley, Croydon and Hounslow which have hosted open art exhibitions, talks for the elderly by Age Concern and early childhood development discussions.

The Ismaili Centre in South Kensington was the first centre to be specially designed and built for Ismailis in the Western world and was inaugurated in 1985 by Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

This sector of Islam is different to the Ahle Sunnat Wal Jama'at group that had its second application for a mosque at the old bank chambers in Green Lane rejected.

Comments (48)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:19pm Fri 21 Mar 14

ResidentTony says...

Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.
Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds. ResidentTony
  • Score: 30

1:53pm Fri 21 Mar 14

GreenBrown says...

Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people.
Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people. GreenBrown
  • Score: -46

2:01pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Niki R says...

So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place. Niki R
  • Score: 31

3:16pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Liberals are deluded says...

Yes! 1-0 ..... There is a god. The only problem now is where is their 2nd choice.
Yes! 1-0 ..... There is a god. The only problem now is where is their 2nd choice. Liberals are deluded
  • Score: -18

9:57pm Fri 21 Mar 14

pinky107 says...

great news . this country has become unrecognisable and it is a christian country after all . britain is hated by fanatics who live here and use religion as a basis for their murderous ways .
the muslims who wanted this site may not be that way , i am not putting all muslims in the same pot , but we have put up with far too much and lost much of the british identity and not through our choices but by those who run the country .
great news . this country has become unrecognisable and it is a christian country after all . britain is hated by fanatics who live here and use religion as a basis for their murderous ways . the muslims who wanted this site may not be that way , i am not putting all muslims in the same pot , but we have put up with far too much and lost much of the british identity and not through our choices but by those who run the country . pinky107
  • Score: -4

7:19am Sat 22 Mar 14

Liberals are deluded says...

Lots of positive points and some tongue in cheek comments also! It just shows the awareness now of the huge problems enforced on us by successive traitor 'parties'. Enforced mass uncontrolled illegal immigration has sadly changed the face of the uk and helped us into being the most crowded country in Europe. Patriots and nationalists must unite to destroy the perpetrators of these genocidal evils, REMEMBER THEIR NAMES AND FACES....
Lots of positive points and some tongue in cheek comments also! It just shows the awareness now of the huge problems enforced on us by successive traitor 'parties'. Enforced mass uncontrolled illegal immigration has sadly changed the face of the uk and helped us into being the most crowded country in Europe. Patriots and nationalists must unite to destroy the perpetrators of these genocidal evils, REMEMBER THEIR NAMES AND FACES.... Liberals are deluded
  • Score: -20

10:19am Sat 22 Mar 14

Crease2000 says...

What is wrong with inciting intense dislike of a religion if the activities or teachings of that religion are so outrageous, irrational or abusive of human rights that they deserve to be intensely disliked?
What is wrong with inciting intense dislike of a religion if the activities or teachings of that religion are so outrageous, irrational or abusive of human rights that they deserve to be intensely disliked? Crease2000
  • Score: -15

1:21pm Sat 22 Mar 14

burgessdavid says...

GreenBrown wrote:
Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people.
Islam is not a race; it is a religion. Is it racist to not want a church being built? Of course it isn't. If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, I recommend that you don't use them.
[quote][p][bold]GreenBrown[/bold] wrote: Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people.[/p][/quote]Islam is not a race; it is a religion. Is it racist to not want a church being built? Of course it isn't. If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, I recommend that you don't use them. burgessdavid
  • Score: 0

1:23pm Sat 22 Mar 14

burgessdavid says...

Niki R wrote:
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre?

The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.
[quote][p][bold]Niki R[/bold] wrote: So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.[/p][/quote]Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre? The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population. burgessdavid
  • Score: -8

3:12pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ResidentTony says...

burgessdavid wrote:
Niki R wrote:
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre?

The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.
Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy.
[quote][p][bold]burgessdavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Niki R[/bold] wrote: So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.[/p][/quote]Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre? The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.[/p][/quote]Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy. ResidentTony
  • Score: 12

3:37pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Ricademus says...

ResidentTony wrote:
burgessdavid wrote:
Niki R wrote:
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre?

The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.
Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy.
Why don't you have a read of my comment then?
[quote][p][bold]ResidentTony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burgessdavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Niki R[/bold] wrote: So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.[/p][/quote]Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre? The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.[/p][/quote]Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy.[/p][/quote]Why don't you have a read of my comment then? Ricademus
  • Score: -12

3:50pm Sat 22 Mar 14

jamieonline says...

Wicked choice
Wicked choice jamieonline
  • Score: 2

7:49pm Sat 22 Mar 14

GreenBrown says...

burgessdavid wrote:
GreenBrown wrote:
Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people.
Islam is not a race; it is a religion. Is it racist to not want a church being built? Of course it isn't. If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, I recommend that you don't use them.
Err, I don't think you quite got the gist of my post. I was being sarcastic.

So people don't want a religious building housing an alien ideology being built in their area, big deal. The list of attributes in my original post are often used by the PC brigade to describe anyone against mass immigration, but they are largely inaccurate, but if there is any truth in them I say they are just normal responses to abnormal conditions. If there was an application to build a christian centre, would there be as much opposition? No, of course not, this is a christian based country, so it would be normal. Even if you don't believe in it all, you are still living in a country built on christian values and codes of practice. It has been that way for centuries and it is the normal state of affairs. Generally speaking, the Christians at most will want to chat to you and maybe give you a cup of tea and that is as hardcore as they get. No ultimate goal of world domination going on there and no violence and no deep rooted hatred for others. Just Normal.....well as normal as you can be believing in one book in these enlightened times or not as these boards attest to.
[quote][p][bold]burgessdavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GreenBrown[/bold] wrote: Good news for the racist, bigoted, nasty, horrible, prejudiced, narrow minded people of the area, or as I prefer to call them, the normal people.[/p][/quote]Islam is not a race; it is a religion. Is it racist to not want a church being built? Of course it isn't. If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, I recommend that you don't use them.[/p][/quote]Err, I don't think you quite got the gist of my post. I was being sarcastic. So people don't want a religious building housing an alien ideology being built in their area, big deal. The list of attributes in my original post are often used by the PC brigade to describe anyone against mass immigration, but they are largely inaccurate, but if there is any truth in them I say they are just normal responses to abnormal conditions. If there was an application to build a christian centre, would there be as much opposition? No, of course not, this is a christian based country, so it would be normal. Even if you don't believe in it all, you are still living in a country built on christian values and codes of practice. It has been that way for centuries and it is the normal state of affairs. Generally speaking, the Christians at most will want to chat to you and maybe give you a cup of tea and that is as hardcore as they get. No ultimate goal of world domination going on there and no violence and no deep rooted hatred for others. Just Normal.....well as normal as you can be believing in one book in these enlightened times or not as these boards attest to. GreenBrown
  • Score: -13

8:24pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ResidentTony says...

Love her or hate her, most people would agree that Mrs Thatcher thought of herself as a great patriot. I am sure she would not have befriended the Ismaili community if she felt for one minute that it was out to take over this sceptred isle. That it sought world domination.

LADY T was happy to see an Ismaili centre established in her very own constituency!!.

Do the 1,700 *half-wits* see the right wing MARGARET THATCHER as some sort of "deluded liberal"????

Give me strength...........
Love her or hate her, most people would agree that Mrs Thatcher thought of herself as a great patriot. I am sure she would not have befriended the Ismaili community if she felt for one minute that it was out to take over this sceptred isle. That it sought world domination. LADY T was happy to see an Ismaili centre established in her very own constituency!!. Do the 1,700 *half-wits* see the right wing MARGARET THATCHER as some sort of "deluded liberal"???? Give me strength........... ResidentTony
  • Score: 5

9:25pm Sat 22 Mar 14

nugas50 says...

ResidentTony wrote:
Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.
I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink.
[quote][p][bold]ResidentTony[/bold] wrote: Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.[/p][/quote]I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink. nugas50
  • Score: -12

10:45pm Sat 22 Mar 14

OKbyMe says...

nugas50 wrote:
ResidentTony wrote:
Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.
I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink.
All the pubs closing because of Muslims. That is the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks for that great wind up. If you believe it to be true then how does your brain keep your legs going
[quote][p][bold]nugas50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ResidentTony[/bold] wrote: Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.[/p][/quote]I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink.[/p][/quote]All the pubs closing because of Muslims. That is the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks for that great wind up. If you believe it to be true then how does your brain keep your legs going OKbyMe
  • Score: 20

12:48am Sun 23 Mar 14

burgessdavid says...

ResidentTony wrote:
burgessdavid wrote:
Niki R wrote:
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre?

The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.
Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy.
Would I have opposed the centre if it was a Christian community centre? Yes, almost certainly. The level of my opposition would of course depend on which particular sect of Christianity it was.

Now I must ask you this, have you ever read the Quran or the Hadith? Are you familiar the theology behind it? Or the historical chronology of the religion?
Are you familiar with what is going on now in Muslim dominated states?
[quote][p][bold]ResidentTony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]burgessdavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Niki R[/bold] wrote: So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.[/p][/quote]Not small minded at all, why should there be yet another religious centre? The site could be used for better purposes rather than appealing to a incredibly small section of the population.[/p][/quote]Answer me this burgessdavid, do you honestly believe that if a small Christian community centre had been proposed, we could have expected 1,700 staunch atheists to have vigorously opposed it? Frankly I doubt it, and it would have been barmy if they had done, just as the opposition to the Ismaili centre is barmy.[/p][/quote]Would I have opposed the centre if it was a Christian community centre? Yes, almost certainly. The level of my opposition would of course depend on which particular sect of Christianity it was. Now I must ask you this, have you ever read the Quran or the Hadith? Are you familiar the theology behind it? Or the historical chronology of the religion? Are you familiar with what is going on now in Muslim dominated states? burgessdavid
  • Score: -12

7:46am Sun 23 Mar 14

Liberals are deluded says...

It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!!

1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact)

2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add

3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones!


UNDERSTAND ?
It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ? Liberals are deluded
  • Score: -14

9:31am Sun 23 Mar 14

LiberalsOut says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!!

1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact)

2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add

3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones!


UNDERSTAND ?
Spot on you will get loads of comments against and thumbs down, but if people want to close their eyes to what is happening in this country, at least some of us can say "I told you so" when it all come crashing down
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?[/p][/quote]Spot on you will get loads of comments against and thumbs down, but if people want to close their eyes to what is happening in this country, at least some of us can say "I told you so" when it all come crashing down LiberalsOut
  • Score: -14

6:31pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!!

1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact)

2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add

3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones!


UNDERSTAND ?
immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new
United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?[/p][/quote]immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy Dr Martin
  • Score: 5

6:54pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Liberals are deluded says...

Dr martin....

Exactly what I expected... You lack the intel and live in a world in which you have been successfully "programmed". You are in no position to comment! Deluded liberal... Springs to mind
Dr martin.... Exactly what I expected... You lack the intel and live in a world in which you have been successfully "programmed". You are in no position to comment! Deluded liberal... Springs to mind Liberals are deluded
  • Score: -23

7:23pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr martin....

Exactly what I expected... You lack the intel and live in a world in which you have been successfully "programmed". You are in no position to comment! Deluded liberal... Springs to mind
You said stated as fact the United Kingdom has the highest population, which it obviously hasn't, please provide proof that i am wrong.
I shall comment when i choose to do so, not on your say so
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: Dr martin.... Exactly what I expected... You lack the intel and live in a world in which you have been successfully "programmed". You are in no position to comment! Deluded liberal... Springs to mind[/p][/quote]You said stated as fact the United Kingdom has the highest population, which it obviously hasn't, please provide proof that i am wrong. I shall comment when i choose to do so, not on your say so Dr Martin
  • Score: 10

7:25pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Crease2000 says...

Putin has been a busier man than I thought? :/
Putin has been a busier man than I thought? :/ Crease2000
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Beverly RA says...

Ok so it may turn back into a Pub and nightclub, so those living near will have the same issues as before. Late night banging of car doors , shouting and unrulier behaviour , litter and so on. And because it was already a Pub and club residents can not object . So lets all look forward to a return to the good old days.
Ok so it may turn back into a Pub and nightclub, so those living near will have the same issues as before. Late night banging of car doors , shouting and unrulier behaviour , litter and so on. And because it was already a Pub and club residents can not object . So lets all look forward to a return to the good old days. Beverly RA
  • Score: 5

9:12pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Surreydon says...

Niki R wrote:
So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.
Yeah what a shame! Still perhaps they could turn it into a permanent travellers site. Now those delightful folk would certainly breathe some new life into the area.......
[quote][p][bold]Niki R[/bold] wrote: So how long will it stand derelict? Well done, small minded people. You've just got yourself an eyesore instead of a centre that would have breathed new life into the tired old place.[/p][/quote]Yeah what a shame! Still perhaps they could turn it into a permanent travellers site. Now those delightful folk would certainly breathe some new life into the area....... Surreydon
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Mon 24 Mar 14

kingstonpaul says...

The Tavern used to be a decent rock venue, keeping the flame burning for old gits like me to see some of the great bands form the 60s/70s. Highlight was possibly seeing ex-Stones guitarist Mick Taylor playing there.
The Tavern used to be a decent rock venue, keeping the flame burning for old gits like me to see some of the great bands form the 60s/70s. Highlight was possibly seeing ex-Stones guitarist Mick Taylor playing there. kingstonpaul
  • Score: 15

1:42pm Mon 24 Mar 14

SouthLondoner65 says...

Both Belgium and the Netherlands are more DENSELY populated than Britain actually. If you're going to spurt out racist bigotry, at least get your facts right. But the simple fact is, facts don't support your racist agenda...propaganda and lies do.
Both Belgium and the Netherlands are more DENSELY populated than Britain actually. If you're going to spurt out racist bigotry, at least get your facts right. But the simple fact is, facts don't support your racist agenda...propaganda and lies do. SouthLondoner65
  • Score: 10

2:02pm Mon 24 Mar 14

SouthLondoner65 says...

In fact, the Netherlands is nearly twice as densely populated as the UK. It's also somewhat richer on a per capita basis.

Regarding the actual article, I agree with Resident Tony and others that this would have been a good use of the building. Shame on the local bigots who opposed this on the basis that they don't like Muslims very much (despite the fact the majority are law abiding, tax paying, pro British folk who work in our hospitals etc). As has already been pointed out, the Ismaili certainly fit such a description. Worcester Park will now continue to harbour a run down, empty building prone to vandalism etc. But anything to keep those Muslims out, eh? In times of hardship, there's always a scapegoat. It used to be the Jews almost everywhere. In Russia and Uganda, it's the gays. Within certain bigoted groups of Europe, it's now the Muslims, who the rightwing media help paint an untrue and stereotypical image of.

Immigration is of great benefit to this country and so is our membership of the EU. I don't expect readers of a local suburban tabloid to necessarily agree, but I know plenty of people with similar views to mine. The Times on Saturday had a YouGov poll showing that only 24% want to leave the EU.
In fact, the Netherlands is nearly twice as densely populated as the UK. It's also somewhat richer on a per capita basis. Regarding the actual article, I agree with Resident Tony and others that this would have been a good use of the building. Shame on the local bigots who opposed this on the basis that they don't like Muslims very much (despite the fact the majority are law abiding, tax paying, pro British folk who work in our hospitals etc). As has already been pointed out, the Ismaili certainly fit such a description. Worcester Park will now continue to harbour a run down, empty building prone to vandalism etc. But anything to keep those Muslims out, eh? In times of hardship, there's always a scapegoat. It used to be the Jews almost everywhere. In Russia and Uganda, it's the gays. Within certain bigoted groups of Europe, it's now the Muslims, who the rightwing media help paint an untrue and stereotypical image of. Immigration is of great benefit to this country and so is our membership of the EU. I don't expect readers of a local suburban tabloid to necessarily agree, but I know plenty of people with similar views to mine. The Times on Saturday had a YouGov poll showing that only 24% want to leave the EU. SouthLondoner65
  • Score: 7

2:18pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Liberals are deluded wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?
immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy
Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed!

You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe!

Don't waste my time! Berk
Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!)
UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands
If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?[/p][/quote]immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy[/p][/quote]Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed! You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe! Don't waste my time! Berk[/p][/quote]Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!) UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you Dr Martin
  • Score: 8

3:17pm Mon 24 Mar 14

edstar says...

OKbyMe wrote:
nugas50 wrote:
ResidentTony wrote:
Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.
I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink.
All the pubs closing because of Muslims. That is the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks for that great wind up. If you believe it to be true then how does your brain keep your legs going
Also muslims are killing our bees! Its true, i read it on a website
[quote][p][bold]OKbyMe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nugas50[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ResidentTony[/bold] wrote: Personally, I think it is a great pity that this is not going ahead. It would have been a good use of the building - and not a "traffic nightmare" at all!! The traffic argument was just a cynical smokescreen to cover up bare-faced prejudice. Sad. Very sad. Shame on the 1,700 narrow minds.[/p][/quote]I dont think you will be saying this if the mosque had opened. Its a shame that all the pubs are closing down in England due to the Muslim immigration a fact that they do not drink.[/p][/quote]All the pubs closing because of Muslims. That is the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks for that great wind up. If you believe it to be true then how does your brain keep your legs going[/p][/quote]Also muslims are killing our bees! Its true, i read it on a website edstar
  • Score: 8

3:44pm Mon 24 Mar 14

edstar says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Liberals are deluded wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?
immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy
Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed! You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe! Don't waste my time! Berk
Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!) UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you
You absolute jerk -off! Where dya get your stats from? The morning star? The daily mirrorr? The bbc ? pa haha haha!!
Even the left leaning (compared to you) says that England (not the uk as a whole) has the 2 nd highest population density in Europe

Wikipedia puts the UK at 53 in the world behind, France, the Netherlands, jersey, Guernsey,

World atlas pus the UK at 32 in the world behind Malta, Vatican City, Netherlands, Belgium

So where are you getting your figures from? And have you had your meds today?
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?[/p][/quote]immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy[/p][/quote]Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed! You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe! Don't waste my time! Berk[/p][/quote]Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!) UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you[/p][/quote]You absolute jerk -off! Where dya get your stats from? The morning star? The daily mirrorr? The bbc ? pa haha haha!![/p][/quote]Even the left leaning (compared to you) says that England (not the uk as a whole) has the 2 nd highest population density in Europe Wikipedia puts the UK at 53 in the world behind, France, the Netherlands, jersey, Guernsey, World atlas pus the UK at 32 in the world behind Malta, Vatican City, Netherlands, Belgium So where are you getting your figures from? And have you had your meds today? edstar
  • Score: 7

3:45pm Mon 24 Mar 14

edstar says...

i meant the left leaning daily mail
i meant the left leaning daily mail edstar
  • Score: 7

3:50pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Liberals are deluded wrote:
Dr Martin wrote:
Liberals are deluded wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?
immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy
Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed! You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe! Don't waste my time! Berk
Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!) UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you
You absolute jerk -off! Where dya get your stats from? The morning star? The daily mirrorr? The bbc ? pa haha haha!!
Wikipedia
http://simple.wikipe
dia.org/wiki/List_of
_countries_by_popula
tion_density

So there is my proof, where is yours?

I take it you are quite new to posting comments
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: It's quite simple but I will spell it out to the liberals on here who lack INTEL!! 1. We 'the silent' majority are sick of mass immigration and not happy regarding being the most populated country in Europe (sad fact) 2. We are sick of seeing our identity become watered down and eroded.... Purposely may I add 3. And we are sick of do gooders, leftwing misfits or deluded liberals telling us what we should think! You are the sick ones! UNDERSTAND ?[/p][/quote]immigration has happened over many decades, what is happening now is nothing new United kingdom is not the most populated country in Europe its 4th behind Russia, Germany and France and marginally ahead of Italy[/p][/quote]Yes you're right mass immigration has been going on for decades and it must be reversed! You're wrong... The uk is the most densely populated country in Europe! Don't waste my time! Berk[/p][/quote]Oh so you were on about population density not overall population (palm slap!) UK is the 3rd most densely populated country in Europe behind Belgium and Netherlands If you want to keep throwing insults at me, crack on, but I will not be put off posting comments by the likes of you[/p][/quote]You absolute jerk -off! Where dya get your stats from? The morning star? The daily mirrorr? The bbc ? pa haha haha!![/p][/quote]Wikipedia http://simple.wikipe dia.org/wiki/List_of _countries_by_popula tion_density So there is my proof, where is yours? I take it you are quite new to posting comments Dr Martin
  • Score: 7

5:33pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Go and cry to your boyfriend you stupid creature!
How original you racist simpleton

I am not going anywhere, whatever you post I shall keep replying until you give up
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: Go and cry to your boyfriend you stupid creature![/p][/quote]How original you racist simpleton I am not going anywhere, whatever you post I shall keep replying until you give up Dr Martin
  • Score: 8

5:49pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Got plenty, were you wanting one, not sure if any of them would want to be friends with you
Got plenty, were you wanting one, not sure if any of them would want to be friends with you Dr Martin
  • Score: 5

6:36pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

So on the one hand you call me a fascist a now you you call me a lefty
If you are going to throw insults please be consistent.

Racist bullies like you need taking down a peg or two
So on the one hand you call me a fascist a now you you call me a lefty If you are going to throw insults please be consistent. Racist bullies like you need taking down a peg or two Dr Martin
  • Score: 9

7:47pm Mon 24 Mar 14

SouthLondoner65 says...

I'm with you Dr Martin. This "liberals are deluded" character is so pathetic he's actually laughable. I almost have pity on him; it must be awful being such a hateful little man.
I'm with you Dr Martin. This "liberals are deluded" character is so pathetic he's actually laughable. I almost have pity on him; it must be awful being such a hateful little man. SouthLondoner65
  • Score: 15

7:48pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Liberals are deluded says...

"Racist bully's" ha ha please. That made me chuckle!
"Racist bully's" ha ha please. That made me chuckle! Liberals are deluded
  • Score: -15

7:58pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
"Racist bully's" ha ha please. That made me chuckle!
Glad to put a smile on your face you miserable racist bigot
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: "Racist bully's" ha ha please. That made me chuckle![/p][/quote]Glad to put a smile on your face you miserable racist bigot Dr Martin
  • Score: 3

8:27pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

SouthLondoner65 wrote:
I'm with you Dr Martin. This "liberals are deluded" character is so pathetic he's actually laughable. I almost have pity on him; it must be awful being such a hateful little man.
Thank you SouthLondoner65
L.O.D is entitled to a different view It's the cr4p he adds to it I do not like.
He might cry off after less than day or two (most likely), if not this might go on for some time
[quote][p][bold]SouthLondoner65[/bold] wrote: I'm with you Dr Martin. This "liberals are deluded" character is so pathetic he's actually laughable. I almost have pity on him; it must be awful being such a hateful little man.[/p][/quote]Thank you SouthLondoner65 L.O.D is entitled to a different view It's the cr4p he adds to it I do not like. He might cry off after less than day or two (most likely), if not this might go on for some time Dr Martin
  • Score: 8

8:34pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Liberals are deluded wrote:
Ooh name calling from militant socialists! Now now freaks!

South London commie 1965 I've got you down as some kind of Peter Tatchell type cretin. Anyone who disagrees with you and you go hysterical calling them the same old nazi , bigot, racist blah blah... All very boring!

Thank god cretins like both of you are fading out fast, you're out on a limb ... Social misfits. Everyday more people are waking up to the sinister mind set that you unfortunately hold. Everyday a little bit more becomes exposed.

Dr. Martin you seem very upset ? Enjoy the rest of your lentil burger with the daily rag.
Not really I have come across many people like you on these forums,over a longer period than you have, they tend to give up eventually, I doubt you will be any different
[quote][p][bold]Liberals are deluded[/bold] wrote: Ooh name calling from militant socialists! Now now freaks! South London commie 1965 I've got you down as some kind of Peter Tatchell type cretin. Anyone who disagrees with you and you go hysterical calling them the same old nazi , bigot, racist blah blah... All very boring! Thank god cretins like both of you are fading out fast, you're out on a limb ... Social misfits. Everyday more people are waking up to the sinister mind set that you unfortunately hold. Everyday a little bit more becomes exposed. Dr. Martin you seem very upset ? Enjoy the rest of your lentil burger with the daily rag.[/p][/quote]Not really I have come across many people like you on these forums,over a longer period than you have, they tend to give up eventually, I doubt you will be any different Dr Martin
  • Score: 9

9:22pm Mon 24 Mar 14

SouthLondoner65 says...

Wait...you criticise us for calling you a bigot (which, if anything, is an understatement) yet it's perfectly fine for you to label us "freaks", "commies" and "cretins". You really are a hypocritical fool....

You didn't like being told the supposed facts you were spurting out were false, did you? I suppose it did kind of portray you as a man who lies to make a point.

Oh, I'm sinister am I? If it's sinister to condemn your overt racism and bigotry and stand up for social justice and equality, then yes, I'm totally sinister. For your information, I'm economically centrist and read the Times as opposed to the Guardian. I'm certainly no communist. Just because I don't condone your propaganda and hatred doesn't make me a stanch left winger. Very few Brits possess quite so much hatred, intolerance and bigotry and yourself sir. You come across a BNP sort of chap - and the BNP poll 1-2% in the polls. Who's in the minority now?

Your words are poisonous and contemptible; they go so far as to incite racial prejudice. Decent Sutton Guardian.co.uk readers, many of whom may well be Tory supporters, evidently find your message to be repugnant. Just look at your comments on this article and note the down arrows you're receiving. Few people are gullible and naïve enough not to understand the clear fact that you are a deceitful, nasty little racist bigot. Good night, sir.
Wait...you criticise us for calling you a bigot (which, if anything, is an understatement) yet it's perfectly fine for you to label us "freaks", "commies" and "cretins". You really are a hypocritical fool.... You didn't like being told the supposed facts you were spurting out were false, did you? I suppose it did kind of portray you as a man who lies to make a point. Oh, I'm sinister am I? If it's sinister to condemn your overt racism and bigotry and stand up for social justice and equality, then yes, I'm totally sinister. For your information, I'm economically centrist and read the Times as opposed to the Guardian. I'm certainly no communist. Just because I don't condone your propaganda and hatred doesn't make me a stanch left winger. Very few Brits possess quite so much hatred, intolerance and bigotry and yourself sir. You come across a BNP sort of chap - and the BNP poll 1-2% in the polls. Who's in the minority now? Your words are poisonous and contemptible; they go so far as to incite racial prejudice. Decent Sutton Guardian.co.uk readers, many of whom may well be Tory supporters, evidently find your message to be repugnant. Just look at your comments on this article and note the down arrows you're receiving. Few people are gullible and naïve enough not to understand the clear fact that you are a deceitful, nasty little racist bigot. Good night, sir. SouthLondoner65
  • Score: 15

12:10pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Hugh_Wilson says...

Hi Dr Martin, I think your man meant to say that England (not the UK) had the highest population density in Europe. This is of course after you ignore Monaco, Malta et al whose populations would just about scrape city status in the UK
Hi Dr Martin, I think your man meant to say that England (not the UK) had the highest population density in Europe. This is of course after you ignore Monaco, Malta et al whose populations would just about scrape city status in the UK Hugh_Wilson
  • Score: 1

4:41pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Ricademus says...

Now, now children, why don't you grow up and act your ages instead of your shoe size, this is getting utterly boring, put the handbags away.
Now, now children, why don't you grow up and act your ages instead of your shoe size, this is getting utterly boring, put the handbags away. Ricademus
  • Score: -3

5:16pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Dr Martin says...

Ricademus wrote:
Now, now children, why don't you grow up and act your ages instead of your shoe size, this is getting utterly boring, put the handbags away.
yes pops
[quote][p][bold]Ricademus[/bold] wrote: Now, now children, why don't you grow up and act your ages instead of your shoe size, this is getting utterly boring, put the handbags away.[/p][/quote]yes pops Dr Martin
  • Score: 0

9:08am Wed 26 Mar 14

rivacre says...

There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation.
There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation. rivacre
  • Score: -2

11:37am Wed 26 Mar 14

edstar says...

rivacre wrote:
There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation.
do your have a source for your "facts"
[quote][p][bold]rivacre[/bold] wrote: There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation.[/p][/quote]do your have a source for your "facts" edstar
  • Score: 2

12:03pm Wed 26 Mar 14

edstar says...

edstar wrote:
rivacre wrote:
There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation.
do your have a source for your "facts"
some facts to prove youre wrong

blogs.channel4.com/f
actcheck/factcheck-w
ill-britain-have-a-m
uslim-majority-by-20
50/13690
[quote][p][bold]edstar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]rivacre[/bold] wrote: There will be 40 million muslims in this country within 25 years, what a horrible prospect for this nation.[/p][/quote]do your have a source for your "facts"[/p][/quote]some facts to prove youre wrong blogs.channel4.com/f actcheck/factcheck-w ill-britain-have-a-m uslim-majority-by-20 50/13690 edstar
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree