Quick nurse, sponge! How swift action saved a hungry Hillingdon pup

On the mend: cookie with owner Jessica Benton and trainee vet nurse Rachael McKeon

On the mend: cookie with owner Jessica Benton and trainee vet nurse Rachael McKeon

First published in News by

A HILLINGDON woman is warning owners to keep hazardous items out of pets’ reach after her puppy was forced to undergo surgery to remove a sponge from her stomach.

Cookie, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Jack Russell cross, was at home with the Benton family when she ate a cleansing sponge which had fallen out of a visitor’s handbag.

Though she was initially fine, the next morning the family realised something was wrong with their beloved pooch.

Cookie’s owner, Jessica Benton, a self-employed beautician, said: “She didn’t greet me as usual and seemed quite glum.”

She added: “We were very worried and I took her straight to Goddard Vet Group in Hayes End.”

Once in the hands of experts, Cookie underwent a life-saving operation to remove the sponge.

Vet Hazel Lee said: “The sponge had swollen inside Cookie and was blocking the entrance to her stomach. If we hadn’t removed it quickly, it could have killed her.”

Cookie is now on the mend, but her owner realises it could have been a very different story.

Jessica said: “It’s been a lesson to us that many dogs really will eat anything and to make sure anything remotely dangerous is safely out of their reach.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree