Pensioners hospitalised as burning cigarette destroys flat in Hatch Gardens, Tadworth

Burning cigarette destroys Tadworth 'hoarder' flat

Burning cigarette destroys Tadworth 'hoarder' flat

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy editor

A flat in Tadworth has been destroyed and two pensioners hospitalised following a fire caused by a cigarette left alight.

Fire crews were called to Hatch Gardens, off Marbles Way, just after 12.30am to reports of a ground floor flat fire.

Two appliances from Epsom and one each from Reigate, Leatherhead and Painshill spent more than three hours tackling the blaze.

Jon Bennett, white watch crew commander at Epsom fire station, said a woman in her 70s who lived in the flat where the fire started had already got out by the time crews arrived.

But she had gone to help an 80-year-old female friend living above her and both had been overcome by smoke.

Video of fire engines outside the flats, taken by Twitter user Chris M (@rubberducksuk)

A younger man had also been seen running back into the fire to help the women, and all three were led to safety by firefighters.

The two women were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and burns.

Mr Bennett said the fire is believed to have been caused by a cigarette that had not been properly extinguished.

The fire quickly spread, as the resident living in the flat was a "hoarder" and had piles of flammable items inside the property, he said.

Mr Bennet said: "The flat is 80 per cent destroyed by fire.

"It just goes to show the dangers of hoarding and smoking in bed. It could happen at anytime."

Did you see what happened? Call 020 87444255 or email ross.logan@london.newsquest.co.uk

 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:10am Sun 2 Mar 14

damon1990 says...

Some of this information is untrue the 80 year old woman on the second floor was not rescued by firefighter but by a 23 year old male who went back in to the smoked filled flat after evacuating his young family. To save the ladies how was still sleeping with the commotion took place it was then the firefighter arrived on scene
Some of this information is untrue the 80 year old woman on the second floor was not rescued by firefighter but by a 23 year old male who went back in to the smoked filled flat after evacuating his young family. To save the ladies how was still sleeping with the commotion took place it was then the firefighter arrived on scene damon1990
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree