Elmbridge Council freezes its portion of council tax

Leader: John O'Reilly

Leader: John O'Reilly

First published in News This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

A freeze will be placed on Elmbridge Council’s portion of council tax for the next two years.

The council’s cabinet agreed to accept a council tax freeze grant from the Government, the equivalent of a 1 per cent increase, which would be received as direct funding for 2014/15 and 2015/16.

If approved at a meeting of the full council on February 26, the Elmbridge Council portion of council tax will have been frozen for six years out of eight.

Councillor John O'Reilly, leader of the council, said: “It is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain services, keep the council running effectively and yet still keep council tax increases low, as we have always promised.

“I am therefore delighted that the cabinet will be recommending no increase in the Elmbridge council tax for 2014/15, the sixth year out of the past eight.”

Last year, the council rejected the freeze grant and raised its portion of council tax by 1.95 per cent, the equivalent of 7p a week for a band D property.

The freeze this year will save the average household about £134 a year compared with inflation in the same period, with residents in a band D property continuing to pay £203.07 a year to the borough council.

The majority of council tax, 74 per cent, is paid to Surrey County Council, with the remaining 26 per cent split between Elmbridge Council and Surrey Police.

Last month, Surrey County Council announced its portion of council tax would rise by 1.99 per cent to allow the authority to “continue running key services while absorbing Government funding cuts”.

The rise is just short of the level, 2 per cent, which would have triggered a local referendum.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:54am Wed 19 Feb 14

24357948 says...

now if only the rest of surrey police fire etc etc could/would freeze any increases they have in mind for the council tax for the same period as elmbridge then it really would be something to shout about
now if only the rest of surrey police fire etc etc could/would freeze any increases they have in mind for the council tax for the same period as elmbridge then it really would be something to shout about 24357948
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree