Denise Lawrence,45, of Walmer Close, Chingford, and daughter Dannika Brown, 22, of Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, were jailed for deceiving elderly victims and stealing their money

This Is Local London: Dannika Brown of Lea Bridge Road, Leyton. Dannika Brown of Lea Bridge Road, Leyton.

A mother and daughter who tricked elderly people into thinking they were charity workers so they could steal from them have been jailed.

Denise Lawrence, 45, and her daughter Dannika Brown, 22, entered the home of a 73-year-old woman in Lukin Crescent, Chingford, on July 23 last year after asking her for a donation.

Having distracted the victim by asking for a drink of water, Lawrence stole the victim’s purse and later took money from her bank account.

The next day, at a property in nearby Chingford Avenue, Brown stole the handbag of a 76-year-old woman.

The thieves were arrested three days later and charged on July 31 after a baseball cap found in Lawrence’s home was used to identify her by one of the victims.

After pleading guilty on Friday, Lawrence of Walmer Close in Chingford, and Brown of Lea Bridge Road in Leyton, were each sentenced to four years and six months for burglary.

Lawrence was also sentenced to four years for two thefts totalling £450 at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Brown received a two year sentence for the theft of £450.

All sentences will be served concurrently.

Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community taking advantage of those kind enough to donate money to charity.

“The victims were willing to help two women who appeared to be in need of help.

“Both Lawrence and Brown did not care for those that they stole money from nor consider the affect this would have on the victims and their families.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:01pm Tue 11 Feb 14

TTMAN says...

Bit***s
Bit***s TTMAN

5:04pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Dave mp says...

Let's hope they serve it all. Pity it wasn't longer.
Let's hope they serve it all. Pity it wasn't longer. Dave mp

5:05pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Thunderbird4 says...

I contacted police and social services when an elderly infirm man had his post office account, containing a few thousand pounds, cleared out by a person claiming to be his friend: They did nothing. This man was left with no food or money.
I contacted police and social services when an elderly infirm man had his post office account, containing a few thousand pounds, cleared out by a person claiming to be his friend: They did nothing. This man was left with no food or money. Thunderbird4

5:11pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community'

Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball.

Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.
Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community' Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball. Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate. Villagecranberry

5:32pm Tue 11 Feb 14

cynicalsue says...

Very flattering photos!
Very flattering photos! cynicalsue

9:24pm Tue 11 Feb 14

I'm Alan says...

These two hit every branch down on the ugly tree.
These two hit every branch down on the ugly tree. I'm Alan

9:41pm Tue 11 Feb 14

mdj says...

Cllr steals £100,000, goes to jail for one year. Somebody, please explain.
Cllr steals £100,000, goes to jail for one year. Somebody, please explain. mdj

9:54pm Tue 11 Feb 14

mdj says...

It's also worth nothing that Councillor Hammond's jailing for theft is not mentioned in either of the last two issues of Pravda, otherwise known as Waltham Forest News.
But it's not all bad news, since Cllr Loakes has now claimed some of his allowances.
That's another story not in Pravda, either.
It's also worth nothing that Councillor Hammond's jailing for theft is not mentioned in either of the last two issues of Pravda, otherwise known as Waltham Forest News. But it's not all bad news, since Cllr Loakes has now claimed some of his allowances. That's another story not in Pravda, either. mdj

10:32pm Tue 11 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

mdj wrote:
Cllr steals £100,000, goes to jail for one year. Somebody, please explain.
Quite a point you make.
[quote][p][bold]mdj[/bold] wrote: Cllr steals £100,000, goes to jail for one year. Somebody, please explain.[/p][/quote]Quite a point you make. Villagecranberry

10:33pm Tue 11 Feb 14

jackblack007 says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community'

Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball.

Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.
its ok vc, you win the prize


p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community' Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball. Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.[/p][/quote]its ok vc, you win the prize p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work jackblack007

12:02am Wed 12 Feb 14

HottRedMan says...

I'm Alan wrote:
These two hit every branch down on the ugly tree.
The same thing I was thinking, **** they as ugly as hell.
[quote][p][bold]I'm Alan[/bold] wrote: These two hit every branch down on the ugly tree.[/p][/quote]The same thing I was thinking, **** they as ugly as hell. HottRedMan

12:27pm Wed 12 Feb 14

stickmanny says...

I think you two went to the wrong website
I think you two went to the wrong website stickmanny

5:34pm Thu 13 Feb 14

NDevoto says...

jackblack007 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community'

Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball.

Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.
its ok vc, you win the prize


p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work
Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr
y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty.
[quote][p][bold]jackblack007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community' Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball. Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.[/p][/quote]its ok vc, you win the prize p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work[/p][/quote]Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty. NDevoto

10:07pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

NDevoto wrote:
jackblack007 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community'

Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball.

Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.
its ok vc, you win the prize


p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work
Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr

y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty.
You are the only one mentioning this? Glad to hear that it has registered.
[quote][p][bold]NDevoto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jackblack007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community' Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball. Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.[/p][/quote]its ok vc, you win the prize p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work[/p][/quote]Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty.[/p][/quote]You are the only one mentioning this? Glad to hear that it has registered. Villagecranberry

3:15am Sat 15 Feb 14

NDevoto says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
NDevoto wrote:
jackblack007 wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community'

Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball.

Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.
its ok vc, you win the prize


p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work
Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr


y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty.
You are the only one mentioning this? Glad to hear that it has registered.
Glad to hear you have finally admitted it was one of your banned sockpuppets who said it.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NDevoto[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jackblack007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: Detective Constable Ryaz Toofail said: “Lawrence and Brown worked as a double act preying on vulnerable and elderly people within the community' Why is the officer using such phrase as a double act? They were not Cannon and Ball. Is this dumbing down of the police now? Joint enterprise, co-conspirators or aiding and abetting each other may be more appropriate.[/p][/quote]its ok vc, you win the prize p*llock of the year , and we're only in feb good work[/p][/quote]Or "enriching society" which is another stupid phrase Cornbeefur/VCranberr y uses for criminal activity , mistakenly thinking he is being witty.[/p][/quote]You are the only one mentioning this? Glad to hear that it has registered.[/p][/quote]Glad to hear you have finally admitted it was one of your banned sockpuppets who said it. NDevoto

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree