Rats invading south-east London homes after rain

This Is Local London: Rats have been invading homes following floods Rats have been invading homes following floods

MUTANT sewer rats could soon plague homes in south-east London as rain continues to pour across the region.

With flooding sweeping through much of the country the rodents, which are thought to be immune to most poisons, have been infiltrating houses as waters rise.

The capital is rife with the creatures and with heavy rainfall predicted in the South East in the coming days the problems seen in countryside might arrive in News Shopper territory.

It’s been reported in rural areas the diseased pests have been sneaking through holes and travelling up drainpipes to escape floods and build new lives in lofts and warm corners of peoples’ homes.

Pest controller Rentokil reported on its website that the razor-toothed mammals are simply seeking drier places to dwell following the adverse conditions.

The service said: “Rodents have also had to abandon their homes as rivers overflow their banks, sewers flood and allotments, parks and other grounds become waterlogged.

“Rats are forced to vacate flooded and damaged burrows in search of new, drier harbourages. These can include homes, outbuildings, compost heaps or factory buildings.”

Calls to pest controllers have risen as a result, with a British Pest Control Association spokeswoman stating: “We are extremely busy at the moment with the flooding”.

The Environment Agency (EA) yesterday said with the potential for more heavy rainfall there’s a high probability of further river, coastal and groundwater flooding – with numerous warnings and alerts in place.

Dave Bedlington, of the organisation, explained that with “water levels already and responsive this could lead to further property flooding in the coming days”.

Health experts have been warning residents to take precautionary measures to prevent rats pouring in as the harsh weather refuses to ease.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) has in the past mentioned a number of ways of dealing with the rodents.

Director Julie Barratt advised blocking up holes and making sure food is disposed of properly. She added rats were “intelligent, adaptable creatures” that “exploit new opportunities” and said: "It's really important people remember when throwing food out, to try to keep it out of the way of pest species”.

Sewer rats: A fact file

- Their Latin name is Rattus norvegicus and they are also known as the brown rat, street rat or common rat.

- They can grow up 25cm in length and an average male weighs around 350g.

- Thought to have come from China, brown rats now infest every continent bar Antarctica.

- They live where we live and are particularly prevalent in urban areas.

- Brown rats are known to harbour disease, such as Weil’s Disease and rat bite fever.

- The rodents are expert in jumping, climbing in swimming and can squeeze through very small holes.

- A single pair can produce 200 offspring in a single year.

Have you come across a rat recently? Get in touch and send in your photos if so: joshua.barrie@london.newsquest.co.uk01689 885725 / 07584 348314

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:59pm Wed 5 Feb 14

12pebbles says...

i have four cats
i have four cats 12pebbles

4:05pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Slonik says...

Maybe all these mutant rats will adapt further and start eating all those 'deadly' false widow spiders...
Maybe all these mutant rats will adapt further and start eating all those 'deadly' false widow spiders... Slonik

4:07pm Wed 5 Feb 14

12pebbles says...

i have 4 cat hahah they will not get in to my house if they do they will not get out alive i find the cat bring in a lot of mice of lately, so the rats are around and putting themselves at risk from my cats .
i have 4 cat hahah they will not get in to my house if they do they will not get out alive i find the cat bring in a lot of mice of lately, so the rats are around and putting themselves at risk from my cats . 12pebbles

4:10pm Wed 5 Feb 14

bnorther says...

Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate?

Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.
Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate? Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon. bnorther

4:44pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Outandabout says...

I look in from time to time and see all too much rubbish like this. Is this paper written by 10 yr olds? My company decided not to commit to advertising in this paper because of the reputation it has. It is like an out of control ranting drunk at times. The only moderation of comments seems to be directed at those using profanity or sexual innuendo, other than that you can attack who you want.
I look in from time to time and see all too much rubbish like this. Is this paper written by 10 yr olds? My company decided not to commit to advertising in this paper because of the reputation it has. It is like an out of control ranting drunk at times. The only moderation of comments seems to be directed at those using profanity or sexual innuendo, other than that you can attack who you want. Outandabout

5:11pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Simon Bull says...

bnorther wrote:
Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate?

Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.
Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings.
[quote][p][bold]bnorther[/bold] wrote: Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate? Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings. Simon Bull

5:42pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Simon Bull says...

Outandabout wrote:
I look in from time to time and see all too much rubbish like this. Is this paper written by 10 yr olds? My company decided not to commit to advertising in this paper because of the reputation it has. It is like an out of control ranting drunk at times. The only moderation of comments seems to be directed at those using profanity or sexual innuendo, other than that you can attack who you want.
Make up your mind Outandabout, is it 10-year-olds or out-of-control ranting drunk? Surely can't be both otherwise we must be placing some very niche job ads.

Thanks for stopping by with your comments though.
[quote][p][bold]Outandabout[/bold] wrote: I look in from time to time and see all too much rubbish like this. Is this paper written by 10 yr olds? My company decided not to commit to advertising in this paper because of the reputation it has. It is like an out of control ranting drunk at times. The only moderation of comments seems to be directed at those using profanity or sexual innuendo, other than that you can attack who you want.[/p][/quote]Make up your mind Outandabout, is it 10-year-olds or out-of-control ranting drunk? Surely can't be both otherwise we must be placing some very niche job ads. Thanks for stopping by with your comments though. Simon Bull

8:48am Thu 6 Feb 14

Citygirl83 says...

I wish you wouldn't scare mounger and give rats such a bad name, I have in the past own rats, true not sewer rats but they are extremely intelligent, more so than some people I come across.
I wish you wouldn't scare mounger and give rats such a bad name, I have in the past own rats, true not sewer rats but they are extremely intelligent, more so than some people I come across. Citygirl83

9:57am Thu 6 Feb 14

the wall says...

If a song comes on the radio that you don't like do you carry on listening?

Do you watch TV programmes you don't like?

If you don't like reading the NS website then click on the red box with the white X.......... Job jobbed.

The NS is a free to use website, you're free to use or not use it. No one made you come here and you haven't had to pay to use the site.
If a song comes on the radio that you don't like do you carry on listening? Do you watch TV programmes you don't like? If you don't like reading the NS website then click on the red box with the white X.......... Job jobbed. The NS is a free to use website, you're free to use or not use it. No one made you come here and you haven't had to pay to use the site. the wall

10:19am Thu 6 Feb 14

bnorther says...

Simon Bull wrote:
bnorther wrote:
Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate?

Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.
Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings.
I think you find the word you want is 'Adapting'.

'Adapting rats' doesn't scare monger so much tho does it?
[quote][p][bold]Simon Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bnorther[/bold] wrote: Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate? Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings.[/p][/quote]I think you find the word you want is 'Adapting'. 'Adapting rats' doesn't scare monger so much tho does it? bnorther

10:23am Thu 6 Feb 14

Indigenous UK Pensioner says...

BRitish pensioner dont scare easy we will be ready to tackle this vermin with out shovel we did it in the last war and will do it again.THank you.
BRitish pensioner dont scare easy we will be ready to tackle this vermin with out shovel we did it in the last war and will do it again.THank you. Indigenous UK Pensioner

10:41am Thu 6 Feb 14

Simon Bull says...

bnorther wrote:
Simon Bull wrote:
bnorther wrote:
Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate?

Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.
Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings.
I think you find the word you want is 'Adapting'.

'Adapting rats' doesn't scare monger so much tho does it?
If we were playing Scrabble then, yes, adapting would be a slightly better word. Pedant would also score you a reasonable number of points depending where you place it.
[quote][p][bold]bnorther[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon Bull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bnorther[/bold] wrote: Why MUTANT? Where is there any evidence that rain has caused their genes to mutate? Please NS - you are embarrassing yourself. Next you be talking about that non existent mutant rat ship is going to hit land in Bromley, just to get on a bandwagon.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your comment and well done on correctly predicting our next big splash. Mutation doesn't have to just be about genes, it can also mean the process of changing - and if these little creatures are as intelligent and adaptable as it says further down in the article they could well be capable of changing to suit their surroundings.[/p][/quote]I think you find the word you want is 'Adapting'. 'Adapting rats' doesn't scare monger so much tho does it?[/p][/quote]If we were playing Scrabble then, yes, adapting would be a slightly better word. Pedant would also score you a reasonable number of points depending where you place it. Simon Bull

10:56am Thu 6 Feb 14

Gypo.Joe says...

Anal retentive would be an even better word .

THAnk YOu
Anal retentive would be an even better word . THAnk YOu Gypo.Joe

9:16am Fri 7 Feb 14

TTowns says...

There seems to be a lot of talk of 'rat invasions' in London recently. I read another post last month which talked of 'super rats' (www.jgpestcontrol.c
o.uk/blog/rise-of-su
per-rat/) - big rats that packed a real punch. Is there any truth in this?
There seems to be a lot of talk of 'rat invasions' in London recently. I read another post last month which talked of 'super rats' (www.jgpestcontrol.c o.uk/blog/rise-of-su per-rat/) - big rats that packed a real punch. Is there any truth in this? TTowns

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree