Two 48-hour walk outs have been planned on the London Underground this month

This Is Local London: Tube strikes to hit travellers tomorrow Tube strikes to hit travellers tomorrow

Underground services are set to be hit by strike action during two 48-hour walk-outs by staff.

The strikes have been planned by the RMT and TSSA unions on the London Underground over plans to modernise the service which will see widespread job loss and ticket office closures.

The first strike will begin at 9.30pm tomorrow, with services not expected to return to normal until Friday morning.

The second will take place at the same time next week.

London Underground managing director Mike Brown criticised the action.

He said: “LU is consulting with trade unions and staff over its vision for the future of the Tube, which includes a new 24-hour night Tube service at weekends and more staff visible and available in public areas of Tube stations to help customers buy the right ticket, plan their journeys and to keep them safe and secure."

He called the union ballots ‘poorly-supported’, saying that only 30 per cent of members voted to strike.

“The union leaderships have nonetheless instructed their members to carry out four days of strike action,” He added.

There will be disruption to journeys on Wednesday and Thursday, when Tube services will start later and finish earlier than normal with trains expected to run from around 7am until 11pm.

The Central line will be affected with trains running from Epping to Leytonstone every 12 minutes in both directions.

Trains between West Ruislip and White City will run every 15 minutes in both directions.

Victoria line services will run between Seven Sisters and Victoria every five minutes in both directions but these trains will not stop at Warren Street.

People are being advised to top up their Oyster card in advance and consider other modes of transport including bus travel and cycling.

To view plans for all lines, click here.
 

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:14am Mon 3 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

All this whilst Bob Crow dances the night away and lies on the beach like a marooned whale, hard pressed commuters marooned on station platforms trying to get to work to feed their kids.
All this whilst Bob Crow dances the night away and lies on the beach like a marooned whale, hard pressed commuters marooned on station platforms trying to get to work to feed their kids. Villagecranberry

9:35am Mon 3 Feb 14

lee_23 says...

Whilst this will mean I have to alter my journey to work, I do understand why some workers feel they have to strike. At the end of the day unless your in the negotiations yourself, you have no idea whether they are rightly or wrongly striking. Of course it is best for everyone (workers, employers and commuters alike) when there is a negotiated settlement but unions are there to protect peoples pay and conditions at work and so if the company responsible for that is undermining their pay and conditions then that's where the unions come in to either negotiate a fair settlement or if they can't come to an agreement resort to strike action. Remember they don't get paid while they are striking so it is a last resort measure and not one that they take lightly. Also before you say well I can't join a union to protect my rights at work, that is your employers fault not tube workers fault. Why have a race to the bottom where we should all (private and public sector) have a right to join a union
Whilst this will mean I have to alter my journey to work, I do understand why some workers feel they have to strike. At the end of the day unless your in the negotiations yourself, you have no idea whether they are rightly or wrongly striking. Of course it is best for everyone (workers, employers and commuters alike) when there is a negotiated settlement but unions are there to protect peoples pay and conditions at work and so if the company responsible for that is undermining their pay and conditions then that's where the unions come in to either negotiate a fair settlement or if they can't come to an agreement resort to strike action. Remember they don't get paid while they are striking so it is a last resort measure and not one that they take lightly. Also before you say well I can't join a union to protect my rights at work, that is your employers fault not tube workers fault. Why have a race to the bottom where we should all (private and public sector) have a right to join a union lee_23

2:40pm Mon 3 Feb 14

Techno3 says...

So no tube services in and out of Walthamstow on the Victoria Line. How inconvenient.
So no tube services in and out of Walthamstow on the Victoria Line. How inconvenient. Techno3

4:35pm Mon 3 Feb 14

GlennW says...

London Overground have stated that Blackhorse Road station will be open for their trains but it may have to close for periods if overcrowding causes safety concerns. Walthamstow passengers could travel from Walthamstow Queen's Road station and alight at South Tottenham which is only a 5 minute walk from Seven Sisters and join the Victoria Line there, BUT the 2-coach Barking - Gospel Oak trains are already packed solid in the peak periods and TfL does not plan to provide more coaches about until 2017!

Glenn Wallis
Secretary
Barking - Gospel Oak Rail User Group
www.barking-gospeloa
k.org.uk
London Overground have stated that Blackhorse Road station will be open for their trains but it may have to close for periods if overcrowding causes safety concerns. Walthamstow passengers could travel from Walthamstow Queen's Road station and alight at South Tottenham which is only a 5 minute walk from Seven Sisters and join the Victoria Line there, BUT the 2-coach Barking - Gospel Oak trains are already packed solid in the peak periods and TfL does not plan to provide more coaches about until 2017! Glenn Wallis Secretary Barking - Gospel Oak Rail User Group www.barking-gospeloa k.org.uk GlennW

12:27am Tue 4 Feb 14

GlennW says...

The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.
The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans. GlennW

8:54pm Tue 4 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

GlennW wrote:
The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.
About 30% members voted for this strike.
I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it.
[quote][p][bold]GlennW[/bold] wrote: The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.[/p][/quote]About 30% members voted for this strike. I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it. Villagecranberry

11:08pm Tue 4 Feb 14

GlennW says...

Villagecranberry wrote:
GlennW wrote: The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.
About 30% members voted for this strike. I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it.
Are you saying that London Underground workers are greedy for trying to stop their jobs being abolished? A larger proportion of members of RMT and TSSA unions voted for strike action than Londoners voted for Boris Johnson.
[quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GlennW[/bold] wrote: The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.[/p][/quote]About 30% members voted for this strike. I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it.[/p][/quote]Are you saying that London Underground workers are greedy for trying to stop their jobs being abolished? A larger proportion of members of RMT and TSSA unions voted for strike action than Londoners voted for Boris Johnson. GlennW

3:03am Wed 5 Feb 14

Villagecranberry says...

GlennW wrote:
Villagecranberry wrote:
GlennW wrote: The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.
About 30% members voted for this strike. I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it.
Are you saying that London Underground workers are greedy for trying to stop their jobs being abolished? A larger proportion of members of RMT and TSSA unions voted for strike action than Londoners voted for Boris Johnson.
Striking is not the answer to protesting, it is an antiquated, outdated way and affects the economy and ordinary people. The transport system is progressing as new technology evolves and jobs will like as in other industries will be lost. The strikes to save guards and conductors in the past was a hopeless cause.
[quote][p][bold]GlennW[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Villagecranberry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GlennW[/bold] wrote: The Mayor is wrong when he says there will be no compulsory redundencies, TfL have always very carefully avoided saying that. Apart from the ticket office closures there are to be staff cuts on stations. Notably affected are outer London stations that are classed as 'Local Stations'. Many of these, such as those on the Central Line beyond Leytonstone, will have just one member of staff on duty and up to groups of five of these stations will be managed by one mobile supervisor in a van. There are documents on the TfL website that detail the plans.[/p][/quote]About 30% members voted for this strike. I feel sorry for the poor people trying to get to work, children who want to go to school, tourist trying to spend money in struggling shops, sight visit, adding to the economy and sick people trying to get to hospital appointments rather than greedy London Transport staff who were more than compensated during the Olympic 'scare' that never was, all this misery, whilst Bob Crow will be rubbing 'Aftersun' Lotion in skin shining his sun tan. All right if you can get it.[/p][/quote]Are you saying that London Underground workers are greedy for trying to stop their jobs being abolished? A larger proportion of members of RMT and TSSA unions voted for strike action than Londoners voted for Boris Johnson.[/p][/quote]Striking is not the answer to protesting, it is an antiquated, outdated way and affects the economy and ordinary people. The transport system is progressing as new technology evolves and jobs will like as in other industries will be lost. The strikes to save guards and conductors in the past was a hopeless cause. Villagecranberry

5:58am Wed 5 Feb 14

HottRedMan says...

Extra buses operating on routes: 9, 14, 25, 26, 27, 29, 38, 91, 98, 139, 158, 167, 190, 205, 257, E3, H91 & U1
Extra buses operating on routes: 9, 14, 25, 26, 27, 29, 38, 91, 98, 139, 158, 167, 190, 205, 257, E3, H91 & U1 HottRedMan

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree