Firemen tackle dangerous gas leak at Tattenham Health Centre

Epsom's firemen tackled a fridge leaking ammonia at Tattenham Health Centre

Epsom's firemen tackled a fridge leaking ammonia at Tattenham Health Centre

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Chief reporter

Firemen in breathing apparatus deployed to a health centre yesterday after ammonia gas leaked from a fridge.

Epsom’s fire crews were called to the Tattenham Health Centre, in Tattenham Crescent, Epsom Downs, at 10am.

An Epsom firefighter said the leak had been caused by a pipe at the back of the fridge which had been corroded, and that the firemen removed the fridge from the centre and left it outside the premises.

He said: "They could just smell the ammonia and called us straight away.  They shut the door to the room the fridge was in.  We came in and removed the fridge using breathing apparatus.

"Ammonia could be an asphyxiant.  If you breathe it in you could pass out."

The fireman said the centre did not have to be evacuated. 

 

TODAY'S HEADLINES IN EPSOM AND EWELL

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree