Fire at retirement home in Barnes caused by hot chocolate

Hot chocolate: The woman became distracted

Hot chocolate: The woman became distracted

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter - Richmond and Twickenham

An elderly lady making hot chocolate caused a small fire at an old people's home in Barnes early this morning.

The woman, in her early 80s, attempted to make the warm drink at Brookwood Lodge at about 3am.

Firefighters were called to reports of a small fire in Brookwood Road after the woman became distracted.

The lady’s kitchen suffered a lot of smoke damage but avoided any real fire damage.

An Richmond Housing Partnership (RHP) spokesman said: "The incident was caused by a small amount of milk overflowing onto the hob, which caused some smoke to trigger the alarm.

"All of RHP’s retirement housing schemes feature hard-wired alarms as well as smoke alarms, to ensure the safety of our customers and to stop small incidents like this from becoming any worse."

She sustained no injuries.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree