Stephanie Georgiou feared she would lose her hand after being bitten by a false widow at Cineworld in Enfield

Stephanie Georgiou believes she was was bitten by a false widow spider at Enfield Cineworld

A false widow spider

First published in News
Last updated
This Is Local London: Photograph of the Author by

A teenager is recovering from three operations after she was bitten by a venomous spider at an Enfield cinema.

Stephanie Georgiou claims she was bitten by a false widow spider at Enfield Cineworld in Southbury Road, on January 2, just one day after her 18th birthday.

It wasn't until three days after she had watched the film that the teenager realised something was wrong with her hand.

Her hand became swollen and full of pus and her GP immediately recognised she had been bitten by an insect.

Despite being given antibiotics, her condition continued to deteriorate and was taken to Chase Farm Hospital in The Ridgeway, Enfield with a raised heartbeat and fever which doctors suspected was caused by a false widow bite.

Since then, she has had two operations to remove tissue from her hand that have left her with a two by three centimetre wound that will require grafting with skin from her arm, leaving her permanently scarred.

Miss Georgiou has admitted that she cannot face going back to see another film at the Enfield cinema.

She said: "They have had to take two massive chunks out to make sure all the infection has been cut out.

"I can't face going back to another movie, it's been the worst thing ever."

"It happened right at the start of the film when the adverts were playing.”

"I sat down and went to put my drink in the cup holder but must have left it there for a bit too long. I felt this thing like an electric shock, and I scratched my right hand but didn't think about it and carried on watching the film.

"I started feeling really hot, but I thought it was just the temperature in the cinema, and my hand was itching.

"Then when we left I didn't feel right. I was really dizzy and I snapped at my date."

A Cineworld spokesman said that they are now investigating the events that took place at the Enfield cinema.

They said: “Cineworld is investigating an incident at its Enfield cinema where it has been alleged that a customer was bitten by a spider.

“Customer safety is our absolute priority and we instructed a specialist pest control team to carry out an immediate inspection of the whole premises. Pest control teams carry out regular checks at all of our cinemas on an ongoing basis.” 

Miss Georgiou added: “I haven't even been able to enjoy being 18. It was my birthday the day before I was bitten."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree