Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Independent Police Complaints Commission promises to provide "clearest possible picture" of events around Mark Duggan shooting in Tottenham
Updated 9:42pm Wednesday 8th January 2014 in News
The Independent Police Complaints Commission says it will consider new evidence that has emerged from the inquest into the death of Mark Duggan.
An investigation by the commission began after the 29-year-old was shot by armed police in a gun crime operation in August 2011.
Although the inquest jury today found that Mr Duggan had been ‘lawfully’ killed, Tottenham MP David Lammy said the Metropolitan Police's reputation had not emerged unscathed, and cast doubt on the IPCC’s ability to answer "unanswered questions".
In the hours after the shooting, the IPCC had wrongly reported that Mr Duggan had fired at police officers before he was shot. It has since apologised to Mr Duggan's family.
But the commission’s deputy chairman Rachel Cerfontyne pledged to find out exactly what happened on the day Mark Duggan was shot.
She said: “Our investigation is open and ongoing. I have always said that we would consider any new evidence emerging from the inquest and we are now doing so.
“Once our investigation is complete we will publish our report which will seek to provide, for his family and the community, the clearest possible picture of the events that led to the tragic death of Mark Duggan on 4 August 2011.”
Comments are closed on this article.