Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Mark Duggan inquest: jury reaches verdict
Updated 3:32pm Wednesday 8th January 2014 in News
The jury in the inquest into the death of Mark Duggan, whose killing sparked widespread riots, has reached its verdict.
Mr Duggan, a father of four, was shot by police marksmen who stopped the taxi in which he was travelling in Tottenham, north London, in August 2011.
The jury delivered its conclusions to the coroner today and will return at 3.30pm at the High Court in London.
The inquest into Mr Duggan's death began in September and, before the jurors retired last month, Judge Keith Cutler told them to reach their decisions ''calmly and coolly on the evidence'' as he began summing up the case.
He has since directed the panel of 10 that they may reach conclusions and findings on which at least eight of them are agreed.
Judge Cutler told the jury it may reach one of three possible conclusions: that the 29-year-old was killed unlawfully, or killed lawfully, or an open conclusion.
The judge said the jury should reach its decisions ''on the evidence and the evidence alone''.