Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
20 facts about birthday girl Kate, Duchess of Cambridge
6:00am Thursday 9th January 2014 in News
THE Duchess of Cambridge, formerly Kate Middleton, is celebrating her 32nd birthday today.
So in honour of that here are 20 facts about the mum-of-one and wife of second in line to the throne:
- Kate was born in Reading, Berkshire. Her parents Michael and Carole Middleton met when they both worked for British Airways.
- Jordan’s capital Amman was home to the Middletons in the mid-1980s.
- Aged eight Kate became a brownie with the 1st St Andrews pack in Pangbourne, Berkshire.
- As a young girl she performed in a play as a young lady wooed by a handsome blond prince named William.
- At age 13, she went to £15,000-a-year Marlborough College boarding school in Wiltshire. She represented the college at tennis, hockey and netball.
- The Duchess has completed her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.
- Kate once quashed a myth when she revealed it was the “Levi’s guy” who was on a poster on her bedroom wall while at Marlborough College and not her future husband William.
- Another claim about Kate is she’s allergic to horses but this isn’t true.
- Her parents became self-made millionaires through a successful party supply company called Party Pieces.
- Kate is a keen photographer and took pictures for her family’s mail order business.
- In 2001, Kate started at the University of St Andrews in Fife. She graduated in 2005 with a 2:1 in history of art. As an undergraduate she continued playing sports and turned out for the university’s hockey team.
- It was at St Andrews where she met Prince William. The see-through dress which supposedly sparked William’s interest in her when she wore it at a university fashion show in 2002 was auctioned in 2011 for £78,000.
- The Duchess worked in London as a part-time buyer for clothing company Jigsaw Junior.
- Kate followed tradition on her wedding day, and for ‘something blue’ had a blue ribbon sewn into the interior of her dress.
- The royal couple received a tandem bike from London Mayor Boris Johnson as a wedding present.
- She wore more than two dozen outfits during her tour of California and Canada in summer 2011.
- Kate is very distantly (13th cousin three times removed) related to Second World War II General George S Patton. It is also reported she is very loosely related (12th cousin once removed) to hubby the Duke of Cambridge.
- It is said Kate does most of the cooking for herself and William despite having a private chef at her disposal.
- Kate is five months older than Prince William.
- In 2012 Kate was picked as one of The 100 Most Influential People in the World by Time magazine.
Comments are closed on this article.