Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Review of the Year 2013: October to December
5:00am Tuesday 31st December 2013 in News
- Dozens of the UK's most venomous spider were spotted in Sutton during an outbreak of the creepy-crawlies.The spider, which features distinctive markings on its abdomen in the shape of a skull, has a bite that may cause a burning sensation and possibly swelling. Two people were hospitalised after receiving bites.
A false widow spider
- Sutton Hospital lost a filing cabinet containing vulnerable patients' confidential details in a major security breach, it emerged. MP Tom Brake demanded Epsom and St Helier Hospital trust keep a tighter control of patient records, after the documents containing data on 63 patients disappeared along with a filing cabinet last year. <
- A father was questioned by police in connection with the unexplained death of his six-year-old daughter. Ben Butler, 33, was bailed until the new year as police investigate the death of his daughter, Ellie, from head injuries at their home in Westover Close on the Shanklin Estate on Monday, October 28.
Ron Elliott celebrating his huge £7.9m win on the National Lottery
- A carer said he had no plans to quit his £15,000-a-year job despite scooping a £8m Lotto jackpot.Widower Ron Elliott, 67, said he would not let rollover windfall on November 2 affect him too much, and went to work at the Wallington care home that employs him the day after finding out he had won.
- Homeless robber Shafique Aarij was found guilty of murdering a Ladbrokes manager from Cheam.A jury took just 49 minutes on November 25 to find Aarij guilty of killing Andrew Iacovou. Father-of-three Mr Iacovou, of Church Hill Road, was bludgeoned to death with a hammer at the Ladbrokes in Aberconway Road, Morden, where he worked during a robbery by Aarij on May 25.
- The NHS Better Services, Better Value review threatening St Helier Hospital's accident and emergency and maternity departments was suspended for a second time.Campaigners called for the review to be scrapped in its entirety, after Surrey GPs caused it to be suspended by dramatically pulling Epsom Hospital - that was also set to lose its A&E and maternity units- out because it did not agree with the plans.
- An investigation was launched into whether serial sex attacker Jimmy Savile abused patients at a children's hospital in Carshalton.Queen Mary's Hospital for Children, that cared for thousands of children with special needs, is being investigated along with the Royal Marsden in Sutton.
Epsom and St Helier Hospital Trust are investigating if abuse involving Jimmy Saville could have taken place at Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
- Robbers tied up the manager of the Fox and Hounds in Carshalton and held him at gunpoint as they stole thousands of pounds from the family pub.Three masked men are still being hunted by police after they robbed the pub in broad daylight brandishing a silver handgun
- A lonely pensioner who spent Christmas alone for nine years was inundated with cards after his plea for company captured the hearts of people all over the world. James Gray, 85, from Sutton, spent Christmas Day with new friends after news of his plight spread after he took out in an Irish Post saying he was looking for people to spend December 25 with at the Holiday Inn, Sutton.