Council leader says the development will bring jobs and improvements to schools and housing

This Is Local London: An artists impression of the development. An artists impression of the development.

A controversial Morrisons development approved last week has been defended by Waltham Forest Council.

The plan for a supermarket, 245 new homes, three shops and a ground-floor car park at South Grove in Walthamstow has been criticised as poorly designed and, at a height of 34 metres, of inappropriate scale.

Many say it would have a damaging effect on independent businesses in the area, included Walthamstow Market traders.

But council leader Chris Robbins insisted the development represents a good deal for the borough, with a contribution from Morrisons in schools and health services likely to run into millions.

He said: “We understand that these sorts of large developments can cause some concern.
“But I believe this will have a really positive impact on the local economy, with Morrisons complimenting what is already on offer to shoppers in the centre of Walthamstow.

“What isn’t in doubt is the value of this development in terms of the investment in our schools and health facilities, the much needed new homes, and the employment that will be made available to local people who are currently in search of work.”

Conservative group leader Matt Davis welcomed the development of the town centre, but said the design was wrong and risked turning Walthamstow into an "indentikit" town.

“We view the agreed scheme as overly large and bulky, wholly lacking in any visual design merits, and seriously question the need for yet another supermarket in a place that is already well served in that regard,” he said.

“Turning Walthamstow into yet another identikit, high rise, chain store town centre exactly like so many others, will undoubtedly be an opportunity missed.”

He said it was a “crying shame” that Walthamstow’s uniqueness was not reflected in the council’s choice of scheme and partner.

It is believed around 450 new jobs will be created, 300 of which will be in Morrisons, which claims to have a policy of giving 75 per cent of jobs to local people.

The development must be approved by Mayor Boris Johnson due to its scale.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:37am Tue 10 Dec 13

Helen, Walthamstow says...

I will be interested to know just what the company will be providing for our already overcrowded schools and dangerously pressured health service.
I will be interested to know just what the company will be providing for our already overcrowded schools and dangerously pressured health service. Helen, Walthamstow

10:58am Tue 10 Dec 13

chingford lad says...

What can one say? Walthamstow is becoming a dump. Residents, businesses, schools, services are being dumped upon. Thousands of flats, apartments or boxes are planned for Walthamstow in the next few years, Do they have gardens, car parking or even enough light? you know the answer to that. Would the councillors like to live in these places. Are these living units for Walthamstow residents or inner London Residents? Waltham Forest is close to the bottom of nearly all league tables appertaining to the `quality of life` & this monsterous developement can only contribute to these. The Labour councillors aspire to very little in this Borough but you take your pick and make your choice, sorry but there it is.
What can one say? Walthamstow is becoming a dump. Residents, businesses, schools, services are being dumped upon. Thousands of flats, apartments or boxes are planned for Walthamstow in the next few years, Do they have gardens, car parking or even enough light? you know the answer to that. Would the councillors like to live in these places. Are these living units for Walthamstow residents or inner London Residents? Waltham Forest is close to the bottom of nearly all league tables appertaining to the `quality of life` & this monsterous developement can only contribute to these. The Labour councillors aspire to very little in this Borough but you take your pick and make your choice, sorry but there it is. chingford lad

12:17pm Tue 10 Dec 13

stickmanny says...

What is wrong with height exactly? Isn't it wise to build upwards where space is at a premium?

What saddens me is that councils have to cut these kinds of deals in order to bring new services on stream. People want to live in WF so funding should be provided by centraly govt to support their health and education.
What is wrong with height exactly? Isn't it wise to build upwards where space is at a premium? What saddens me is that councils have to cut these kinds of deals in order to bring new services on stream. People want to live in WF so funding should be provided by centraly govt to support their health and education. stickmanny

2:18pm Tue 10 Dec 13

NDevoto says...

This is how planners get dubious schemes approved, They offer one-off legal financial sweetners supposedly to offset the increased demand and pressure on local services such as education, health and roads etc that their developments are predicted to produce. But these new builds will affect generations to come , while the short term money paid out to councils all too soon runs out.
This is how planners get dubious schemes approved, They offer one-off legal financial sweetners supposedly to offset the increased demand and pressure on local services such as education, health and roads etc that their developments are predicted to produce. But these new builds will affect generations to come , while the short term money paid out to councils all too soon runs out. NDevoto

2:28pm Tue 10 Dec 13

AC1975 says...

Chingford lad - Walthamstow is so much better than it was 10 years back. Sure more people are here - but that's because more people want to live here.
Services and quality of life needs to improve - and that can only come via investment. I went to school in North Chingford back in the late 1980s - hose prices were always more expensive in N Chingord than Walthamstow Central but not anymore - which though a double edged sword should tell you something. I can afford to move to 'exclusive' areas of London but I choose to live in the 'Stow because I love the vibrancy and the people. And eh lad if you're happy staying in Chingford then continue to do so...
Chingford lad - Walthamstow is so much better than it was 10 years back. Sure more people are here - but that's because more people want to live here. Services and quality of life needs to improve - and that can only come via investment. I went to school in North Chingford back in the late 1980s - hose prices were always more expensive in N Chingord than Walthamstow Central but not anymore - which though a double edged sword should tell you something. I can afford to move to 'exclusive' areas of London but I choose to live in the 'Stow because I love the vibrancy and the people. And eh lad if you're happy staying in Chingford then continue to do so... AC1975

4:04pm Tue 10 Dec 13

mdj says...

'We view the agreed scheme as overly large and bulky...'

So will Cllr Davis call in the decision for consideration by full council, forcing every councillor to record their vote on where they stand?

If, as a commenter on these pages stated, the Council official negotiating this scheme with Morrisons - and advising its acceptance - isn't even a qualified planning professional, he has ample grounds to do so.
'We view the agreed scheme as overly large and bulky...' So will Cllr Davis call in the decision for consideration by full council, forcing every councillor to record their vote on where they stand? If, as a commenter on these pages stated, the Council official negotiating this scheme with Morrisons - and advising its acceptance - isn't even a qualified planning professional, he has ample grounds to do so. mdj

5:07pm Tue 10 Dec 13

AC1975 says...

MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM.
MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM. AC1975

5:30pm Tue 10 Dec 13

chingford lad says...

AC1975 wrote:
Chingford lad - Walthamstow is so much better than it was 10 years back. Sure more people are here - but that's because more people want to live here.
Services and quality of life needs to improve - and that can only come via investment. I went to school in North Chingford back in the late 1980s - hose prices were always more expensive in N Chingord than Walthamstow Central but not anymore - which though a double edged sword should tell you something. I can afford to move to 'exclusive' areas of London but I choose to live in the 'Stow because I love the vibrancy and the people. And eh lad if you're happy staying in Chingford then continue to do so...
Thanks for the `lad`, not been called that for many a year. I was born in Walthamstow at the end of the war & living on the beautiful `garden city estate` the last of the houses built by `Warner Bros`in the 1930s. Walthamstow was in Essex then & although not the wealthiest suburb as it was in the 30s it was still a very pleasant place. Chingford was then to most E17 residents a `garden city`, I agree not any more so sadly I left, but please, you will remember your birthplace or place of your childhood and be saddend if the changes are such as I have witnessed. All the best to you.
[quote][p][bold]AC1975[/bold] wrote: Chingford lad - Walthamstow is so much better than it was 10 years back. Sure more people are here - but that's because more people want to live here. Services and quality of life needs to improve - and that can only come via investment. I went to school in North Chingford back in the late 1980s - hose prices were always more expensive in N Chingord than Walthamstow Central but not anymore - which though a double edged sword should tell you something. I can afford to move to 'exclusive' areas of London but I choose to live in the 'Stow because I love the vibrancy and the people. And eh lad if you're happy staying in Chingford then continue to do so...[/p][/quote]Thanks for the `lad`, not been called that for many a year. I was born in Walthamstow at the end of the war & living on the beautiful `garden city estate` the last of the houses built by `Warner Bros`in the 1930s. Walthamstow was in Essex then & although not the wealthiest suburb as it was in the 30s it was still a very pleasant place. Chingford was then to most E17 residents a `garden city`, I agree not any more so sadly I left, but please, you will remember your birthplace or place of your childhood and be saddend if the changes are such as I have witnessed. All the best to you. chingford lad

1:18am Wed 11 Dec 13

mdj says...

' It's a good thing - I can see it ,'

If your vision of London is a gated community in Zone 1 for the international mega-rich, with Waltham Forest as a high-rise Soweto for the peasants who do their dirty work, then good luck to you.

There is of course the possibility that you are a councillor with a buy-to-let property portfolio, which would make more sense of your position.
' It's a good thing - I can see it ,' If your vision of London is a gated community in Zone 1 for the international mega-rich, with Waltham Forest as a high-rise Soweto for the peasants who do their dirty work, then good luck to you. There is of course the possibility that you are a councillor with a buy-to-let property portfolio, which would make more sense of your position. mdj

6:58am Wed 11 Dec 13

Helen, Walthamstow says...

AC1975 wrote:
MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM.
I don't doubt that you genuinely believe that this development and others you have commented on before are "a good thing".

You have accused campaign groups of speaking for themselves and being unrepresentative of public opinion, yet here you claim that "most members of the Walthamstow public" take the same view as you do. In truth, you have no evidence to base that on. Neither reports on this website nor the attached comment columns carry any evidence of a large number of people in favour of big developments.

In fact, views predominantly centre round concern about the pressure the growing population in our borough is placing on our buckling infrastructure. The crumbling roads are crammed with traffic and every new development brings more. The primary schools are struggling to keep up with more and more children, with little space left for new build, and the secondary schools will soon be facing the same crisis. Getting a medical appointment anywhere is turning into a real challenge. These are the things that are really now worrying "most members of the Walthamstow public" - that's what you will hear them talking about.

I'm not saying all development is bad. I am saying that developers and our decision-makers have to start looking at the big picture before they grant permission for growth that could blight the lives of most members of the Walthamstow public for years to come.
[quote][p][bold]AC1975[/bold] wrote: MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM.[/p][/quote]I don't doubt that you genuinely believe that this development and others you have commented on before are "a good thing". You have accused campaign groups of speaking for themselves and being unrepresentative of public opinion, yet here you claim that "most members of the Walthamstow public" take the same view as you do. In truth, you have no evidence to base that on. Neither reports on this website nor the attached comment columns carry any evidence of a large number of people in favour of big developments. In fact, views predominantly centre round concern about the pressure the growing population in our borough is placing on our buckling infrastructure. The crumbling roads are crammed with traffic and every new development brings more. The primary schools are struggling to keep up with more and more children, with little space left for new build, and the secondary schools will soon be facing the same crisis. Getting a medical appointment anywhere is turning into a real challenge. These are the things that are really now worrying "most members of the Walthamstow public" - that's what you will hear them talking about. I'm not saying all development is bad. I am saying that developers and our decision-makers have to start looking at the big picture before they grant permission for growth that could blight the lives of most members of the Walthamstow public for years to come. Helen, Walthamstow

7:44am Wed 11 Dec 13

Billy Yerache says...

Helen, Walthamstow wrote:
AC1975 wrote: MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM.
I don't doubt that you genuinely believe that this development and others you have commented on before are "a good thing". You have accused campaign groups of speaking for themselves and being unrepresentative of public opinion, yet here you claim that "most members of the Walthamstow public" take the same view as you do. In truth, you have no evidence to base that on. Neither reports on this website nor the attached comment columns carry any evidence of a large number of people in favour of big developments. In fact, views predominantly centre round concern about the pressure the growing population in our borough is placing on our buckling infrastructure. The crumbling roads are crammed with traffic and every new development brings more. The primary schools are struggling to keep up with more and more children, with little space left for new build, and the secondary schools will soon be facing the same crisis. Getting a medical appointment anywhere is turning into a real challenge. These are the things that are really now worrying "most members of the Walthamstow public" - that's what you will hear them talking about. I'm not saying all development is bad. I am saying that developers and our decision-makers have to start looking at the big picture before they grant permission for growth that could blight the lives of most members of the Walthamstow public for years to come.
You can say that from your ivory tower but people need to live somewhere and people need jobs. Let them get on with it.

Knock them when they leave places empty like the arcade and now when they build on barren land still complaining.
[quote][p][bold]Helen, Walthamstow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AC1975[/bold] wrote: MDJ let it lie dude. It's a good thing - I can see it , most members of the Walthamstow public can see it, and so can the Council - but obviously a minority of people can't. We had this sort of this hang up complaint with all the other developments in the Stow. If these people had their way Walthamstow would've remained pretty much as it was during the Domesday book - A FARM.[/p][/quote]I don't doubt that you genuinely believe that this development and others you have commented on before are "a good thing". You have accused campaign groups of speaking for themselves and being unrepresentative of public opinion, yet here you claim that "most members of the Walthamstow public" take the same view as you do. In truth, you have no evidence to base that on. Neither reports on this website nor the attached comment columns carry any evidence of a large number of people in favour of big developments. In fact, views predominantly centre round concern about the pressure the growing population in our borough is placing on our buckling infrastructure. The crumbling roads are crammed with traffic and every new development brings more. The primary schools are struggling to keep up with more and more children, with little space left for new build, and the secondary schools will soon be facing the same crisis. Getting a medical appointment anywhere is turning into a real challenge. These are the things that are really now worrying "most members of the Walthamstow public" - that's what you will hear them talking about. I'm not saying all development is bad. I am saying that developers and our decision-makers have to start looking at the big picture before they grant permission for growth that could blight the lives of most members of the Walthamstow public for years to come.[/p][/quote]You can say that from your ivory tower but people need to live somewhere and people need jobs. Let them get on with it. Knock them when they leave places empty like the arcade and now when they build on barren land still complaining. Billy Yerache

8:11am Wed 11 Dec 13

Helen, Walthamstow says...

Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development.

Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.
Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development. Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population. Helen, Walthamstow

10:52am Wed 11 Dec 13

Billy Yerache says...

Helen, Walthamstow wrote:
Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development.

Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.
Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have.
[quote][p][bold]Helen, Walthamstow[/bold] wrote: Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development. Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.[/p][/quote]Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have. Billy Yerache

11:41am Wed 11 Dec 13

Helen, Walthamstow says...

Billy Yerache wrote:
Helen, Walthamstow wrote:
Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development.

Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.
Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have.
Why a Tory councillor? In fact why bother standing for the council under any party hat? In our wonderful (that's irony, in case it passes you by) strong leader and cabinet system, only a tiny handful of councillors have any say in what goes on and the rest are virtually powerless. They're just voting fodder.

I am involved in practical activities that improve both our community and our environment, and I respond regularly to local consultations and attend consultation meetings - though sometimes wonder if there is any point. Consultation is a farce in this borough.

So what do you do that is so practical?
[quote][p][bold]Billy Yerache[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helen, Walthamstow[/bold] wrote: Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development. Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.[/p][/quote]Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have.[/p][/quote]Why a Tory councillor? In fact why bother standing for the council under any party hat? In our wonderful (that's irony, in case it passes you by) strong leader and cabinet system, only a tiny handful of councillors have any say in what goes on and the rest are virtually powerless. They're just voting fodder. I am involved in practical activities that improve both our community and our environment, and I respond regularly to local consultations and attend consultation meetings - though sometimes wonder if there is any point. Consultation is a farce in this borough. So what do you do that is so practical? Helen, Walthamstow

1:13pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Billy Yerache says...

Helen, Walthamstow wrote:
Billy Yerache wrote:
Helen, Walthamstow wrote: Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development. Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.
Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have.
Why a Tory councillor? In fact why bother standing for the council under any party hat? In our wonderful (that's irony, in case it passes you by) strong leader and cabinet system, only a tiny handful of councillors have any say in what goes on and the rest are virtually powerless. They're just voting fodder. I am involved in practical activities that improve both our community and our environment, and I respond regularly to local consultations and attend consultation meetings - though sometimes wonder if there is any point. Consultation is a farce in this borough. So what do you do that is so practical?
I am enthusiastically participate in many similar activities that you mention.
You cannot write off being involved as you can make impact if you persevere.
[quote][p][bold]Helen, Walthamstow[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Billy Yerache[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helen, Walthamstow[/bold] wrote: Cornbeefur, I don't live in an ivory tower. I am very much involved in my local community which suffers high levels of deprivation and where the situation is made worse by extreme pressure on local services - much of it made worse by unthinking development. Without a sound and sustainable infrastructure, all the glossy new homes in the world won't make for a healthier, better-educated population.[/p][/quote]Why don't you stand for election as a Tory Councillor and be done with it? Fight from within? In the cold light of day as an armchair Town Planner, it is easy to criticise. Do something practical about it as I have.[/p][/quote]Why a Tory councillor? In fact why bother standing for the council under any party hat? In our wonderful (that's irony, in case it passes you by) strong leader and cabinet system, only a tiny handful of councillors have any say in what goes on and the rest are virtually powerless. They're just voting fodder. I am involved in practical activities that improve both our community and our environment, and I respond regularly to local consultations and attend consultation meetings - though sometimes wonder if there is any point. Consultation is a farce in this borough. So what do you do that is so practical?[/p][/quote]I am enthusiastically participate in many similar activities that you mention. You cannot write off being involved as you can make impact if you persevere. Billy Yerache

8:41pm Thu 12 Dec 13

fabster says...

"But council leader Chris Robbins insisted the development represents a good deal for the borough, with a contribution from Morrisons in schools and health services likely to run into millions."

Millions? From what I heard the figure agreed with Morrisons is exactly £1million. Which is it Our Beloved Strong Leader?
"But council leader Chris Robbins insisted the development represents a good deal for the borough, with a contribution from Morrisons in schools and health services likely to run into millions." Millions? From what I heard the figure agreed with Morrisons is exactly £1million. Which is it Our Beloved Strong Leader? fabster

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree