Lewisham and Greenwich pay tribute to Nelson Mandela

This Is Local London: Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

TRIBUTES are being paid to Nelson Mandela in Lewisham and Greenwich today.

Both Catford and Woolwich town halls are opening books of condolence and are flying their flags at half-mast in tribute to the inspirational South African leader.

Mr Mandela was awarded the freedom of Greenwich borough back in 1983. This was reaffirmed last year. And his name is remembered at Nelson Mandela Road, Kidbrooke, and Plumstead's Mandela House.

Lewisham Council, which has opened a book of condolence at Catford civic suite, will hold a one-minute’s silence at 3pm this afternoon as a mark of respect.

There will be a memorial service for Mr Mandela starting at 6.30pm at St Mary’s Church, 346 Lewisham High Street, on December 10.

And Mayor of Lewisham Sir Steve Bullock paid tribute to the great man today, saying: "When the history books are written centuries from now there will be three names from the 20th century held up as the greatest statesmen of that era – Sir Winston Churchill, John F Kennedy and Nelson Mandela.

"And of those three it will be Mandela who stands out as a colossus, a secular saint – a man who freed his own people and gave hope to the world.

"Those of us who have been alive at the same time as Nelson Mandela are blessed. We know the heights a human being can reach, we know that bitterness, anger and violence can be trumped by forgiveness, humility and love."

Greenwich Council leader Councillor Chris Roberts said: “We are profoundly saddened to hear the news of the passing of Nelson Mandela. His life and the manner in which it was lived, reinforced the values of honesty, justice and hope in the face of searing oppression.

“Those of us who lived in his time and witnessed the changes wrought by the power of his intellect and the strength of his humanity will be envied by future generations who will know him only from the history books."

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:09pm Fri 6 Dec 13

sarfflondonbird says...

I for one won't be classing mandela as one of the the greatest of the 20th century in any shape or form. People like Bullock harp on about gentleness and kindness but Mandela hasn't been all that....has he?
I for one won't be classing mandela as one of the the greatest of the 20th century in any shape or form. People like Bullock harp on about gentleness and kindness but Mandela hasn't been all that....has he? sarfflondonbird

6:37pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Elthamboy says...

I liked him in Shawshank Redemption
I liked him in Shawshank Redemption Elthamboy

7:58pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. He also used torture/execution methods such as 'Necklacing.' (search google).

Although the Afrikaner minority government/dictators
hip was certainly not perfect, South Africa has been reduced to a third world state on the brink of civil war with one of the highest crime rates in the world. Fuelling this civil war are astronomical food price rises induced by the murder of 10% of all white/Afrikaner farmers over the last two decades with a large percentage of the remaining white farmers being forced out of South Africa.
The report and website below say it all about South Africa's bleak future...

http://www.dailymail
.co.uk/news/article-
2351339/Mandelas-pas
sing-looming-threat-
race-war-South-Afric
as-whites-widow-mour
ns-latest-murdered-w
hite-farmer-chilling
-dispatch-nation-hol
ding-breath.html

http://www.thetrutha
boutsouthafrica.com/
p/white-genocide-in-
south-africa.html?m=
1

Nelson Mandela's legacy will sadly not be the last 20 years, but the next 20 years and beyond.
Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. He also used torture/execution methods such as 'Necklacing.' (search google). Although the Afrikaner minority government/dictators hip was certainly not perfect, South Africa has been reduced to a third world state on the brink of civil war with one of the highest crime rates in the world. Fuelling this civil war are astronomical food price rises induced by the murder of 10% of all white/Afrikaner farmers over the last two decades with a large percentage of the remaining white farmers being forced out of South Africa. The report and website below say it all about South Africa's bleak future... http://www.dailymail .co.uk/news/article- 2351339/Mandelas-pas sing-looming-threat- race-war-South-Afric as-whites-widow-mour ns-latest-murdered-w hite-farmer-chilling -dispatch-nation-hol ding-breath.html http://www.thetrutha boutsouthafrica.com/ p/white-genocide-in- south-africa.html?m= 1 Nelson Mandela's legacy will sadly not be the last 20 years, but the next 20 years and beyond. SidcupResident

8:23pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are.

Carry on though !!
Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !! Gypo.Joe

8:53pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !!
Sorry 'Gypo' but I haven't mentioned the British National Party at all???

Is everyone you disagree with a BNP supporter?

Or is that just your instinctive response whenever you're posed with historical facts that you and rest of the loony-left wish were not true?....
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !![/p][/quote]Sorry 'Gypo' but I haven't mentioned the British National Party at all??? Is everyone you disagree with a BNP supporter? Or is that just your instinctive response whenever you're posed with historical facts that you and rest of the loony-left wish were not true?.... SidcupResident

9:16pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here.
So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ?
SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ??
You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here. So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ? SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ?? Gypo.Joe

10:03pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here. So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ? SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ??
I'm against the anti-black apartheid era, and the current anti-white post apartheid era.

Racism cuts both ways.

It's a shame racists like you don't realise that.
So are you telling me that South African government's (under both Mandela and Zuma) refusal to condemn or confront the murder and genocide of Afrikaner farmers, is not racism in it's worst form?...
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here. So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ? SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ??[/p][/quote]I'm against the anti-black apartheid era, and the current anti-white post apartheid era. Racism cuts both ways. It's a shame racists like you don't realise that. So are you telling me that South African government's (under both Mandela and Zuma) refusal to condemn or confront the murder and genocide of Afrikaner farmers, is not racism in it's worst form?... SidcupResident

10:22pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

I see I'm the racist am I ? What twisted logic tells you that ?
Any nation in the world that has millions of its people living in abject poverty has high levels of violence. Look at South America for example. The violence is directed at what the poor see as the rich and unfortunately in SA the farmers are the easiest targets. I don't know the facts but I'm sure the police do all they can.

As a side I wonder how many innocent Africans were killed by racist Afrikaners, were you and you ilk shouting about that. We know the answer to that don't we.
I see I'm the racist am I ? What twisted logic tells you that ? Any nation in the world that has millions of its people living in abject poverty has high levels of violence. Look at South America for example. The violence is directed at what the poor see as the rich and unfortunately in SA the farmers are the easiest targets. I don't know the facts but I'm sure the police do all they can. As a side I wonder how many innocent Africans were killed by racist Afrikaners, were you and you ilk shouting about that. We know the answer to that don't we. Gypo.Joe

10:35pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
I see I'm the racist am I ? What twisted logic tells you that ? Any nation in the world that has millions of its people living in abject poverty has high levels of violence. Look at South America for example. The violence is directed at what the poor see as the rich and unfortunately in SA the farmers are the easiest targets. I don't know the facts but I'm sure the police do all they can. As a side I wonder how many innocent Africans were killed by racist Afrikaners, were you and you ilk shouting about that. We know the answer to that don't we.
I've already stated I condemn the apartheid era.

You're twisted justifications of the Afrikaner murders that 'two wrongs make a right' tells us all about your ilk's twisted logic.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: I see I'm the racist am I ? What twisted logic tells you that ? Any nation in the world that has millions of its people living in abject poverty has high levels of violence. Look at South America for example. The violence is directed at what the poor see as the rich and unfortunately in SA the farmers are the easiest targets. I don't know the facts but I'm sure the police do all they can. As a side I wonder how many innocent Africans were killed by racist Afrikaners, were you and you ilk shouting about that. We know the answer to that don't we.[/p][/quote]I've already stated I condemn the apartheid era. You're twisted justifications of the Afrikaner murders that 'two wrongs make a right' tells us all about your ilk's twisted logic. SidcupResident

10:57pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Typical of BNP supporters your hypocrisy makes you the moron you are.

Of course two wrongs don't make anything right. I ask you again were you protesting about the Africans murders ? Did you give a toss about Steve Biko and countless others ? We know the answer to that from racists like yourself.
Typical of BNP supporters your hypocrisy makes you the moron you are. Of course two wrongs don't make anything right. I ask you again were you protesting about the Africans murders ? Did you give a toss about Steve Biko and countless others ? We know the answer to that from racists like yourself. Gypo.Joe

11:12pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Typical of BNP supporters your hypocrisy makes you the moron you are.

Of course two wrongs don't make anything right. I ask you again were you protesting about the Africans murders ? Did you give a toss about Steve Biko and countless others ? We know the answer to that from racists like yourself.
And there you go again with the automated "Wacist!" reaction when the debate isn't going your way.

I am not a British National Party supporter.

Your moronic accusation that anyone who is against the mass murder and genocide of Afrikaner farmers is a BNP supporter, only discredits you and ironically probably gives the BNP credit if you're really trying to be the face of the UAF/Loony-left.

If you really want to improve you're debating skills, you can make a start by checking the ratings of your posts....
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Typical of BNP supporters your hypocrisy makes you the moron you are. Of course two wrongs don't make anything right. I ask you again were you protesting about the Africans murders ? Did you give a toss about Steve Biko and countless others ? We know the answer to that from racists like yourself.[/p][/quote]And there you go again with the automated "Wacist!" reaction when the debate isn't going your way. I am not a British National Party supporter. Your moronic accusation that anyone who is against the mass murder and genocide of Afrikaner farmers is a BNP supporter, only discredits you and ironically probably gives the BNP credit if you're really trying to be the face of the UAF/Loony-left. If you really want to improve you're debating skills, you can make a start by checking the ratings of your posts.... SidcupResident

11:26pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

The rating of my post mean f*ck all as you and you moronic mates up or down them.

Mass murder of farmers ...just how many would that be, give us some numbers. Before you say it yes even one is more than too many.

I see you never answered about protesting about the death of Steve Biko and who knows how many other black activists. They don't count though do they in your twisted mind. Its only white farmers that matter now. Strange that ...very strange, I wonder why.
The rating of my post mean f*ck all as you and you moronic mates up or down them. Mass murder of farmers ...just how many would that be, give us some numbers. Before you say it yes even one is more than too many. I see you never answered about protesting about the death of Steve Biko and who knows how many other black activists. They don't count though do they in your twisted mind. Its only white farmers that matter now. Strange that ...very strange, I wonder why. Gypo.Joe

11:34pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

PS, SidcupRes away with Welling tomorrow are you ?
PS, SidcupRes away with Welling tomorrow are you ? Gypo.Joe

11:43pm Fri 6 Dec 13

SidcupResident says...

If you google you'll find the numbers indicate that 10% of Afrikaner farmers have been murderered since 1994.

"My mates" down rate your comments. Lol! Nurse! He's out of bed again!
Bless you. Don't watch the Truman Show, whatever you do.

You might want to join this debate here instead:

http://www.newsshopp
er.co.uk/news/108600
11.Nelson_Mandela__S
tephen_Lawrence_s_mo
ther_pays_tribute_to
__man_of_justice_and
_peace_/?ref=mc

I'll just go and fetch the popcorn....
If you google you'll find the numbers indicate that 10% of Afrikaner farmers have been murderered since 1994. "My mates" down rate your comments. Lol! Nurse! He's out of bed again! Bless you. Don't watch the Truman Show, whatever you do. You might want to join this debate here instead: http://www.newsshopp er.co.uk/news/108600 11.Nelson_Mandela__S tephen_Lawrence_s_mo ther_pays_tribute_to __man_of_justice_and _peace_/?ref=mc I'll just go and fetch the popcorn.... SidcupResident

12:01am Sat 7 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Google tells all about you and your posts dummy.

Latersssssssss off home now after a long day.
Google tells all about you and your posts dummy. Latersssssssss off home now after a long day. Gypo.Joe

9:20am Sat 7 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Morning ladies, how's it hanging today ?
Morning ladies, how's it hanging today ? Gypo.Joe

10:20am Sat 7 Dec 13

DougMM says...

And they say the good die young
And they say the good die young DougMM

10:22am Sat 7 Dec 13

DougMM says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here. So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ? SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ??
Your head starting to hurt again??? =(
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: You never mentioned the BNP but all you racist morons support it and post your innuendo on here. So tell us all were you pro or anti the apartheid regime ? SA has come a long long way and yes it still has a long way to go, it's a young democracy going through a massive change. It will find it's way as there's no going back to the minority rule days that you seem to support ??[/p][/quote]Your head starting to hurt again??? =( DougMM

10:22am Sat 7 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

DougMM wrote:
And they say the good die young
Try it then, do tell us what ya think about it.

THAnK yoU
[quote][p][bold]DougMM[/bold] wrote: And they say the good die young[/p][/quote]Try it then, do tell us what ya think about it. THAnK yoU Gypo.Joe

6:51pm Sat 7 Dec 13

MattySE9 says...

Some strange comments here. You should watch a film like Cry Freedom to get some idea of the vileness of the apartheid regime that existed before. RIP Nelson, one of the all-time greats.
Some strange comments here. You should watch a film like Cry Freedom to get some idea of the vileness of the apartheid regime that existed before. RIP Nelson, one of the all-time greats. MattySE9

8:50pm Sat 7 Dec 13

sarfflondonbird says...

SidcupResident wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !!
Sorry 'Gypo' but I haven't mentioned the British National Party at all???

Is everyone you disagree with a BNP supporter?

Or is that just your instinctive response whenever you're posed with historical facts that you and rest of the loony-left wish were not true?....
Say anything truthful about a black person and Gypo classes you racist, BNP, EDL, or a sock puppet(whatever that means to this very sad person),a true leftie lover that he is.......and one not worth taking notice of.......nobody else on here does.
[quote][p][bold]SidcupResident[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !![/p][/quote]Sorry 'Gypo' but I haven't mentioned the British National Party at all??? Is everyone you disagree with a BNP supporter? Or is that just your instinctive response whenever you're posed with historical facts that you and rest of the loony-left wish were not true?....[/p][/quote]Say anything truthful about a black person and Gypo classes you racist, BNP, EDL, or a sock puppet(whatever that means to this very sad person),a true leftie lover that he is.......and one not worth taking notice of.......nobody else on here does. sarfflondonbird

9:48pm Sat 7 Dec 13

applause says...

Here we go again. Snipe, snipe, snipe. And leave gypo.joe alone, he's worth a trillion of you. If you cant say anything nice then don't say anything at all.
Here we go again. Snipe, snipe, snipe. And leave gypo.joe alone, he's worth a trillion of you. If you cant say anything nice then don't say anything at all. applause

11:58pm Sat 7 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

To frape or not to frape that's the question Joe.

Guess who ??
To frape or not to frape that's the question Joe. Guess who ?? Gypo.Joe

11:15am Sun 8 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
To frape or not to frape that's the question Joe.

Guess who ??
Thank you ;) LOL


or should that be THAnk yOU
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: To frape or not to frape that's the question Joe. Guess who ??[/p][/quote]Thank you ;) LOL or should that be THAnk yOU Gypo.Joe

12:08pm Mon 9 Dec 13

PaulErith says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !!
Sorry but I disagree with you on this one. I too have posted elsewhere about some of the things that Mandela's terrorist group did. That doesn't make me a racist. I believe that Mandela's cause was totally correct. However, it's a fact that innocent people died in bomb attacks by the organisation that he was head of. Whether or not a cause is right, terrorist activity cannot be condoned. Therefore, it does annoy me that when the news talk about Mandela, they conveniently forget about that period of his life. What he did in his later years was great, but the press really should give a more balanced view. He wasn't the saint that he's being made out to be.
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: Out crawl the BNP cretins. All you do is shown yourself and the BNP up for the racist morons you all really are. Carry on though !![/p][/quote]Sorry but I disagree with you on this one. I too have posted elsewhere about some of the things that Mandela's terrorist group did. That doesn't make me a racist. I believe that Mandela's cause was totally correct. However, it's a fact that innocent people died in bomb attacks by the organisation that he was head of. Whether or not a cause is right, terrorist activity cannot be condoned. Therefore, it does annoy me that when the news talk about Mandela, they conveniently forget about that period of his life. What he did in his later years was great, but the press really should give a more balanced view. He wasn't the saint that he's being made out to be. PaulErith

3:16pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Gypo.Joe says...

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. All we can say about NM is he turned away from violence and his message while in power and his legacy is all about forgiveness and inclusion as hard as that is/was.
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. All we can say about NM is he turned away from violence and his message while in power and his legacy is all about forgiveness and inclusion as hard as that is/was. Gypo.Joe

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree