Report news now! Text pictures & video to 80360, starting message with WITNESS then leave a space
Bexley police target burglars in run up to Christmas
POLICE in Bexley are targeting burglars in the run up to Christmas.
In an effort to protect all those presents under people’s trees, officers are reminding residents of the simple measures they can take to reduce the risk of being a target for burglars.
The campaign will see increased high visibility and covert patrols across the borough especially in areas experiencing high numbers of burglaries.
Dedicated investigation teams will seek to trace and arrest wanted or suspected burglars and there will be a focus on known burglars and those with previous convictions.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Holmes said: "All of our officers and PCSOs will be focusing on targeting our offenders and our aim is simple - if you are a burglar on our streets then we will be working tirelessly to lock you up.
"We take burglary seriously and we want people to feel safe in their homes and in their communities."
Top 10 tips
- Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
- Register items with a serial number at immobilise.com
- Do not leave your car keys, valuables or ID documents near a door, letterbox or window.
- Always check who's at the door and don't open it if you feel anxious.
- Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
- Keep your valuables out of sight.
- Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
- Fit a mortice lock to your front door and other external doors. Consider installing a burglar alarm.
- Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
- Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
Comments are closed on this article.